DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best set of ND filter right now ? Should we wait ?

I need suggestion on choosing 4 filters for $99.99 from PolarPro. Here are the options available on their website.

Link to the custom page...

Custom 4-Pack | Cinema Series | Mavic 2 Pro for $99.99

I would like one filter that is good for sunrise and sunset or dawn and dusk.
One for bright sunlight in the middle of the day
One that may be good for video
One that is good for pictures like waterfalls

Also, what is the difference between say these 2 filters on their site? The ND8 and the ND8/PL. Which will be better to get between such 2? Any help will be appreciated. Or if they can chime in, the better. I am trying to pick a mix of 2 ND filters and maybe 2 ND/Pl or maybe 3 ND filters and 1 ND/PL.

Help me out with suggestions if you guys can.

2FNySkA.jpg

XNAAEqE.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Well, I went ND 8, 16, and 32 and then 16PL. However, hopefully someone more savvy with these things pipes in. It has a lot to do with location and use case.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Well, I live in the great state of Texas where we have a lot of sun and heat, though now is Fall and season is changing now to cold and less sunny weather.

Since you have the ND16 and the PL16. Why didn't you just get the ND16/PL? Isn't that a combo one? You get one for the price of 2?

You don't want to use a polarizing filter in all cases, really you don't want one... unless you want one. Especially on a drone where you can't easily change the polarization angle in real time.

I have polarizing filters because one of the things I really want to do is catch videos of trout swimming around alpine lakes, but it's going to be a PITA setting up those shots.

You don't want to use a polarizing filter in all cases, really you don't want one... unless you want one. Especially on a drone where you can't easily change the polarization angle in real time.

I have polarizing filters because one of the things I really want to do is catch videos of trout swimming around alpine lakes, but it's going to be a PITA setting up those shots.

The only reason I have the one is for winter shots. I think it'll be interesting to see what I can come up with.

That's another cool thing about Polar Pro, you can pick any 4 filters for $100 or any 6 for $150.

If you live in the USA :D

I ended up buying that exact package but shipping + 30% exchange is less exciting haha. It was still the cheapest option for me though.

Whoa...So is that in any way part of all this controversy about video quality with the M2P? It can't be that simple, can it?

No, the MP2 video quality controversy (vs the P4P) is due to the lack of a mechanical shutter, different image processing, and heat reduction measures. Diffraction would apply to the P4P in the same way as it uses the same size and resolution of sensor and I wouldn't use that camera beyond F4 either.

It's not specific to the MP2 but rather an unavoidable property of the Sony 20MP 1" sensor. It is a function of aperture and pixel diameter (the more pixels you cram into a tiny sensor, the smaller the pixels have to be). It would affect the P4P the same way and would affect a Sony RX100 point & shoot camera the same way as they all use variants of 20MP 1" sensors.

My more detailed explanation can be found here:
Mavic Pro 2 Image Quality

Has anyone actually received his M2P Polarpro filters?

I ordered on 9/9 and got tracking on 9/22 but they have not actually been taken to USPS yet, still shows
"preshipment".

The site stated "preorder in stock 9/22" and on 9/22 the message disappeared and it looks like they are in stock.

I emailed them and am awaiting a response.

You would think they would email customers and let them know what is going on if there is a significant delay.

Has anyone actually received his M2P Polarpro filters?

I ordered on 9/9 and got tracking on 9/22 but they have not actually been taken to USPS yet, still shows
"preshipment".

The site stated "preorder in stock 9/22" and on 9/22 the message disappeared and it looks like they are in stock.

I emailed them and am awaiting a response.

You would think they would email customers and let them know what is going on if there is a significant delay.

I just placed my order yesterday. It says it will ship on October 10th. I think they have a backlog. I wonder if it is affecting your shipment.

Besides your email, if I was you I would actually call them on the phone. They do have a number on their website. I called it yesterday, but did not get anybody on first or second try. I tried like 4 times at different times and finally got someone on the phone and he was very helpful.

I have looked thru this thread and have a few observations. I have several different brands of filters for the Mavic Pro and X5 camera. Just purchased the Mavic 2 Pro several weeks ago and have been using it without the ND filter with expected results. I had a chance to purchase the FStop 32 and 64 filter combo and received them yesterday. The 64 is a little too strong for normal video work so I installed the 32. Camera setting where ISO 100, Shutter @60, Fstop @4. Anything higher was getting a little dark. What a difference in sharpness and quality of the pictures and video. The ND 4, 8 and 16 will be delivered next week. Everyone has had good luck with a wide range of ND filters made by different companies BUT I wonder how many of those ND filters use the same glass coming from the same supplier. There can't be that many companies making this type of glass and I suspect there may be only a few. If that's the case then you are not only purchasing the filter but you are paying for a warranty and customer services. Honestly I have purchased filters for camcorders and still cameras along with the drone cameras for the last 20 years and I have never felt like I needed to file a warranty claim. On the other hand, to everyone that believes their filters look great you can only make that determination after looking at other glass. You might be surprised.

I am a new owner of my first serious drone......Mavic 2 Pro
I am intending on buying PolarPro ND Filters.
Can someone enlighten me as to whether there is a good reason to buy what appears to be PolarPro's top ND set......"Cinematographers Collection | Cinema Series | Mavic 2"
Cinematographers Collection | Cinema Series | Mavic 2
I'm trying to avoid a mistake here.
Thanks

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
What are the "best" set of ND filters right now for the Mavic 2 Pro ?
Should we wait for better one to be released and which one in particular ?
Polar Pro products I've purchased are good quality, but the best reason to buy from them is customer service. Cheap ND filters can have color shift or poor optical quality. Mavic lenses are so small, these things may not matter, but try and return a discount filter, if it happens at all, it can take weeks and the same problems will likely be there with the replacement.

I bought PP ND filters for my Mavic Pro from a third party that were supposed to be the newest version (with out gimbal clearance problems), they were not! I emailed directly to Polar Pro my problem, and had a replacement set in 3 days.

Love your profile photo..sure miss James "Maverick" Garner not to mention "The Rockford Files." I think I've watched every episode available On Demand.

I am a new owner of my first serious drone......Mavic 2 Pro
I am intending on buying PolarPro ND Filters.
Can someone enlighten me as to whether there is a good reason to buy what appears to be PolarPro's top ND set......"Cinematographers Collection | Cinema Series | Mavic 2"
Cinematographers Collection | Cinema Series | Mavic 2
I'm trying to avoid a mistake here.
Thanks

I am in same situation like you. First time owning a good drone and first time going for ND filters.

Is that a set you wish to buy? That would be buying across the spectrum. So you would have filters that would cover you for every type of situation. If that is what you want, go for it. I will not look at it as if you are making a mistake rather I would look at it like you are trying to cover every single time of the day you could use a filter from your collection.

I just placed an order for mine a custom 4 pack. I did my own research and decided on what I wanted to buy. Then I called them for their own professional help. Took me some tries to finally get someone on the phone, but he was very helpful. I told him what my goals are and what I would be shooting. He suggested a list and told me I do not have to take his recommendation since I already had in mind what I wanted to order. But I valued his opinion and I went with what he recommended based on what I told him I needed it for. And he reminded me that I have a 60 days return policy. You can't beat that.

So my advice to you. Do your own research and decide what you want. Call them up and talk with them. Then make a final decision. Then buy. Get your filters. Use them. Satisfied? Yes? Great! Not satisfied? Return them for full refund or for an alternative set.

Simple. I am sure you will be satisfied. If you are not satisfied, then there are other manufacturers you can buy from. Many of them on here with great products too. I will say these filters and their manufacturer are just like us trying to buy tires for our cars. Do you want Michelin? Yokohama? Firestone? Or the asian brand Atturo? They all serve the purpose. Just pick a company and buy from.

Last edited:
Let’s Talk About Chicks! (And by chicks, I mean filters.)

I started with Taco filters (no problems), went with PolarPro next (no problems). Currently, using Skyreat filters (no problems).

Notice a pattern here?

Ray Jay

Last edited:
I just got the 6 ND/PL from Skyreat off Amazon. I am also very happy with their performance and they work great for me at a great price. But I have not tried the other ND filters out.

I ordered these the week of the M2s launch and they just came in yesterday.

I'm really impressed with them and am recommending them to everyone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhench95