DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best way to increase visibility?

Vash

Reactions
Recently got a mavic air and have been learning about it overall. One thing I've noticed is keeping track of it, particularly when there's a background beyond the sky is tricky for me.

What are my best options to give the drone more visibility? I was considering the LED prop guards but wasn't sure how that would affect performance.

Any other advice or accessories on ways to improve visibility of the drone while it's flying?

I was considering the LED prop guards but wasn't sure how that affect performance.
Props guards could cause some unwanted flight behavior when flying in windy conditions. If you want to attach lights, it would be better to attach some kind of strobe light -- like one of these commonly used strobe lights:
These lights can be attached to your Mavic Air with some kind of Velcro product like 3M Dual Lock.

If you don't want to stick Velcro to your drone, you could use some kind of mount -- like one of these that I make:

Mavic Air Flytron STROBON Cree mounts

1565025384718.png

1565025391659.png

1565025404479.png

Mavic Air Firehouse ARC mounts

1565025447656.png

1565025457089.png

1565025462260.png

1565025469371.png

Props guards could cause some unwanted flight behavior when flying in windy conditions. If you want to attach lights, it would be better to attach some kind of strobe light -- like one of these commonly used strobe lights:
These lights can be attached to your Mavic Air with some kind of Velcro product like 3M Dual Lock.

If you don't want to stick Velcro to your drone, you could use some kind of mount -- like one of these that I make:

View attachment 78958
View attachment 78959
View attachment 78960

View attachment 78961
View attachment 78962
View attachment 78963
View attachment 78964
Thanks will look into those and maybe your mounts too. I had just found a search suggestion with something similar. Going to have to research if they help during the day too.

Strobe lights obviously work best at night, but they can be seen during the day too (at a much more limited distance). And they are easier to see when it's not super sunny outside.

@msinger gave you the best possible advice. I'd def go that route.

i use the flytron strobon cree lights and mounts from @msinger on my front arms and they are good for telling which way the mav is facing when it is a long way out

i use the flytron strobon cree lights and mounts from @msinger on my front arms and they are good for telling which way the mav is facing when it is a long way out
I had guessed that is where that setup would be effective. Only thing I was unsure of is better tracking while it was not facing me if I went that route.

Edit: looking further it looks like the setup with a different color on the back could be perfect.

Thanks @msinger @old man mavic and @Barnes_de for the quick replies.

you can also mount different colours on the rear arms as well as the white ones on the front but the coloured ones are not quite as visible as the white @msinger makes front and rear mounts and the strobon cree ones are very light weight as well not sure if you would have to remove them to fold the rear arms i leave my front ones on and just altered the foam in my case to allow the mav to fit

Reactions: Millburn

View attachment 78958
View attachment 78959
View attachment 78960

View attachment 78961
View attachment 78962
View attachment 78963
View attachment 78964

How long do the last for ie when turned on?

About 6 hours, 2 hours, and 2 hours respectively. See the links above for more details.

my strobon cree ones will last for a quoted 2 hours fully charged and i can fly 5 batteries with no problem

Each Firehouse ARC unit has four separate LEDs, compared to two on the Firehouse Dual, and one on the Strobon. I am not sure of the specs on the LEDs used on each unit, but I ended up with the Firehouse ARCs and they do a good job in daylight, and a fantastic job in twilight. I use Mark's (@msinger) mounts for my M2P and MA, and they work great too.

Each Firehouse ARC unit has four separate LEDs, compared to two on the Firehouse Dual, and one on the Strobon. I am not sure of the specs on the LEDs used on each unit
As far as I know, the strobe lights are identical.

I use Mark's (@msinger) mounts
Mike ;)

And I'm happy to hear they're working great for you!

Reactions: BigAl07 and WAXMAN
I mount my Firehouse strobes on my leg extenders. It is a good idea in general to use leg extenders to better protect your drone. These extenders are easily detached for charging and storage. Firehouse strobes are amazingly visible during the brightest of California days.

Reactions: Jaysjob
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569