DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beware of .900

The OP really got slammed on this one. I think most of the guys did not understand that a failed update is most likely not a real failure.

Every firmware version seems to have its quirks when installed on certain mavics. Why do 90% of the people have succes with any update they use and 10% find success with only particular versions is a mystery to me.

Rob
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity

This is not about check lists, which is good advice anyway. Thumbswayup
OP warns us about a firmware release while messing stuff up himself and even taking it for a spin without completeting FW install and do a proper IMU calibration afterwards, thus giving BAD advice, at least to other newcomers here.

Most of us know, doing IMU's calibration for any reason is a bad idea unless prompted. That's what the manual says.

The OP really got slammed on this one. I think most of the guys did not understand that a failed update is most likely not a real failure.

Every firmware version seems to have its quirks when installed on certain mavics. Why do 90% of the people have succes with any update they use and 10% find success with only particular versions is a mystery to me.

Rob
Because those 10% are "defective"! DJI's track record for putting out clean working firmware updates,is pretty dismal,at best. There is no consistancy with any of DJI's firmware,period! I would say they need to hire someone that knows how to write firmware correctly. Not the kid that made Poke Mon 3 feet tall on his android phone. There is no good reason why firmware updates should act diffrently from one Mavic to the next one.

Last edited:
Because those 10% are "defective"! DJI's track record for putting out clean working firmware updates,is pretty dismal,at best. There is no consistancy with any of DJI's firmware,period! I would sayt they need to hire someone that knows how to write firmware correctly. Not the kid that made Poke Mon 3 feet tall on his android phone. There is no good reason why firmware updates should act diffrently from one Mavic to the next one.

Every firmware has flaws. DJI is much better than most!

Even Apple has flaws and flaws and flaws. They've successfully jailbroken every FW Apple has created.

DJI's issue is the lack of a good Beta program.

Because those 10% are "defective"! DJI's track record for putting out clean working firmware updates,is pretty dismal,at best. There is no consistancy with any of DJI's firmware,period! I would sayt they need to hire someone that knows how to write firmware correctly. Not the kid that made Poke Mon 3 feet tall on his android phone. There is no good reason why firmware updates should act diffrently from one Mavic to the next one.

FW don't act differently from Mavic to Mavic.

The odds say that the Mavic is the only consistent thing from situation to situation.

What's actually different is the users, the location, the treatment of said Mavic etc.

My Mavic has flown flawlessly from day one. It has worked fine with every single update so far. I am upwards of 200 flights on the unit and I have literally done nothing to the thing except charge the batteries, let it update, and fly it like I stole it. Had it since November 2016 with absolutely no problems or complaints.

This is not about check lists, which is good advice anyway. Thumbswayup
OP warns us about a firmware release while messing stuff up himself and even taking it for a spin without completeting FW install and do a proper IMU calibration afterwards, thus giving BAD advice, at least to other newcomers here.
Any advice is better than being a douche bag for no reason other than your own amusement. I guess what you are saying is it's better to be rude than try to help?? Again......wouldn't blame the guy if he never came back.

I recently received a brand new mavic after mine was broken due to wind. I flew it a few times to get back in the saddle. I did not have time to update the drone to .900. Last night I finally had an opportunity to dive in. It failed. I was worried about my mavic being bricked so I took it outside to fly it at about knee height just to verify it would still fly. The props started and I gave it a little throttle it took off straight up. It would not stop no mater what I did. I held the down trottle to force a landing. It then fell out of the sky and broke my gimbal and a front leg. Please think twice before you you update.

The only issue I had with .900 is that when I updated the controller on the same round it confirmed updated but the video DL was crap (more "black" than image). Updated the controller f/w again and all was good afterwards.

The odds say that the Mavic is the only consistent thing from situation to situation.

What's actually different is the users, the location, the treatment of said Mavic etc.
Maybe they (DJI) need to take a few lessons from Apple?Their updates work on a Mac,even if it's on the West Coast,or East Coast? Or bribe someone that writes firmware for Apple,to come work for them,and get things in order?

Last edited:

I am not saying you are wrong but consider the possibility that some of the IC's in older mavics may not be made by the same company that makes the ones they use in newer mavics. Many companies will change brands to either save money or because they cannot obtain enough stock from their original supplier. This really should not make a difference but there have been cases were issues have arisen in other products.

This is just a guess on my part, but some of the cases we see on the forum are really strange. Can they all be chalked up to damaged Mavics? Then why do they work perfectly with another firmware version? I guess DJI is the only one that can answer that.

Rob

I am not saying you are wrong but consider the possibility that some of the IC's in older mavics may not be made by the same company that makes the ones they use in newer mavics. Many companies will change brands to either save money or because they cannot obtain enough stock from their original supplier. This really should not make a difference but there have been cases were issues have arisen in other products.

This is just a guess on my part, but some of the cases we see on the forum are really strange. Can they all be chalked up to damaged Mavics? Then why do they work perfectly with another firmware version? I guess DJI is the only one that can answer that.

Rob

The odds are user issues. Computer issues, etc. more so than the Mavic I think. Unlike Apple DJI's products are abused regularly.

The odds are user issues. Computer issues, etc. more so than the Mavic I think. Unlike Apple DJI's products are abused regularly.

You may be right, but something was really odd with the VMware .400 update and how some Mavics just had these crazy gimbal dances on updating and yet most worked fine. Then the owners went back to .800 and everything was fine again. IMHO it was either that something had changed in some of the Mavics or there was some remnant config file data from before the downgrade caused a conflict. Remember some of these birds were practically new, the owners just wanted to downgrade them to get some NFZ relief.

Rob

Reactions: PROMOLOZO
As I have mentioned before, I have a serious Pano issue with Autopilot and over this weekend the same with AutoPan.
So, over night I downgraded to .800 and I still have the same issue.
I have downloaded now the official version of Autopilot 4.1 (beta is 4.2.161 at this moment) on my iPhone and during lunch, I'll check again. But it was NOT FW .900

Now that the US army banned all DJI drones, maybe DJI will listen more to its customers, and deliver software that's been tested thoroughly (and compatible with Android , not only working ok with IOS...amongst other discrepancies). I know, the drone pilot makes mistakes, and has to pay for them, but there are situations where drone and/ or software are faulty or unreliable...and that happens to much . Add to that the constantly changing regulations and limitations, imposed to the customer's equipment, and one has to be very fond of drones not to leave the hobby altogether.

Every firmware has flaws. DJI is much better than most!

Even Apple has flaws and flaws and flaws. They've successfully jailbroken every FW Apple has created.

DJI's issue is the lack of a good Beta program.

Not necessarily true. The last successfully jailbroken version of Apple iOS was 9.3.5 I believe. That's going back what...2 years almost?

I've done a panorama this afternoon without any problem with the official Autopilot 4.1. That means the beta (4.2.xxx) has an issue. I've send my beta report to Hangar and installed FW .0900 again. No issues

Rob
I purchased my Mavic in 2016 when you couldn't find them anywhere. It has worked flawlessly every time I've flown it with every single firmware version. I got sucked into all things R/C at a very young age. My first R/C car was a Wild Willy jeep I put together myself at about 9 years old I think. I am well versed in all things computers as well. My point being either I got really lucky with the Mavic I purchased.......or it has everything to do with the user in MOST cases boiling down to either computer problems or getting something in the order of steps wrong.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre