DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird Strikes Mavic vs Phantom

Scott

Reactions
Had another bird strike today, nothing that knocked it out of the air, but I can see the birds are more aggressive towards the Mavic. I never had that problem with my P3Pro. I'm wondering if it is because of its smaller size, or even the color of it; or maybe birds are just pissed at drones now. I'm thinking about trying a colored wrap to see if that would make them scared of it. My heart sinks every time it happens and I always haul *** out of the area I was just flying in.

Reactions: Rpeeps and enodog
I was at an event and there was my Mavic and a Phantom 4. I had 3 swallows chasing my Mavic. It was kind of fun, especially when I went to sport mode. [emoji6] They didn't even go by the P4.

I was at an event and there was my Mavic and a Phantom 4. I had 3 swallows chasing my Mavic. It was kind of fun, especially when I went to sport mode. [emoji6] They didn't even go by the P4.
This was what I was thinking as the Phantom is much bigger. But it is also white and not sure if that could be a deterrence as well. Although the Inspire isn't white and I'm sure the birds aren't messing with that.

Had the same experience yesterday in the Amazonas. One of the local's had a Phantom 4 and he said, that he never had problems, when I was flying my Mavic some bird's started flying around the drone and my sensor would force the mavic to stop the drone from moving, as the bird's were flying really close. Anytime when i was accelerating, they would keep distance because of the noise. However, it was fun as I almost was controlling bird boids :D Maybe the Mavic should get a Raptor look like a hawk or an eagle?

Never had a bird brave enough with my Inspire, but the Mavic is a target for sure. I'm guessing the smaller footprint and slimmer silhouette give the impression its an easier target. Where I fly on occasion there is both 'Bald' and 'Golden' eagles. Although they haven't really paid too much attention I can't imagine Mavic would survive these guys.

Main problem is as mentioned by @scottebay the bloody Swallows. Very protective little bird so any nesting and all hell breaks loose. I also had a Stork paying a lot of attention although a quick assent usually get rid of most.

I'm thinking of throwing some decals on to try and persuade the birds I'm not the enemy.

Reactions: Scott and scottebay
I flew a lot at the coastal line of Portugal this summer, and the birds there are not familiar with drones. My solution was to fly out slowly and just hover in place for some time, letting them fly around and observe it. They tried to scare it away, but as they saw that it didn't behave in an aggressive way, they calmed down. In a few minutes they usually flew back onto the cliff walls. If they returned to approach the drone while flying, I assumed there was a nest around, and pulled back and around.

Reactions: Cowboys2023
I have been chased by swallows in my Mavic. Flip it into sport mode, and they can't keep up! Of course the first tip would be increasing altitude - they will not follow you up.

Had another bird strike today, nothing that knocked it out of the air, but I can see the birds are more aggressive towards the Mavic. I never had that problem with my P3Pro. I'm wondering if it is because of its smaller size, or even the color of it; or maybe birds are just pissed at drones now. I'm thinking about trying a colored wrap to see if that would make them scared of it. My heart sinks every time it happens and I always haul *** out of the area I was just flying in.
I have yet to have an attack with the Mavic. I used to have seagulls go after my Inspire 1 till I put a dayglow orange skin over the white portion. Its ugly, but has not been bothered since the skin went on.

Reactions: Mavic Magic
Just add this cat skin and you'll be fine:
ad_183137135-e1443711448326.jpg

Never had a bird brave enough with my Inspire, but the Mavic is a target for sure. I'm guessing the smaller footprint and slimmer silhouette give the impression its an easier target. Where I fly on occasion there is both 'Bald' and 'Golden' eagles. Although they haven't really paid too much attention I can't imagine Mavic would survive these guys.

Main problem is as mentioned by @scottebay the bloody Swallows. Very protective little bird so any nesting and all **** breaks loose. I also had a Stork paying a lot of attention although a quick assent usually get rid of most.

I'm thinking of throwing some decals on to try and persuade the birds I'm not the enemy.
Sorry, can't resist. Try hello Kitty stickers, nothing less threatening than that. LOL [emoji38]

Reactions: mavic6611
Swallows also chased my Mavic I saw them swarming it looked like an ball of birds. It was a frightening sight I just knew I was going to crash from a strike any second. Slammed it into sport and escaped.

Pay back is when my New Inspire gets here. The Mavic's big brother. LOL

I hope they stay away from the big drone

Get a couple of the "cree strobes" and it will solve the problem. Birds of any kind do not like the flashing lights and will stay well away from them!

Reactions: NestleQuik
VPS puts out ultrasonic sounds that can cause birds and insects to react.

Apparently some birds decide your drone is challenging them to a fight, and turning off VPS may work as a peaceful overture.

Reactions: davesmavic
I've had the seagulls ground my Mavic and Solo. I may have to try just hovering for a while but I didn't want to lose it in the ocean. They get so close as soon as I take off. Might have to try the Cree strobe. Does anyone have any pics of the mounting?

I first got the Mavic back in November 2016. One of the first. Did not know much about it not to fly it. I flew it daily on the coast of Asia, Lima Peru. Open spaces, beautiful beaches and a LOT a LOT of birds. Never hit any though they flew aggressively towards it? Thanks to the obstacle avoidance. Never flew it in that are in sports mode because it would disable the function. You can see few footage on you tube that I posted. Under. KTFARAH1. - hope this helps. Fly safe.

I flew a lot at the coastal line of Portugal this summer, and the birds there are not familiar with drones. My solution was to fly out slowly and just hover in place for some time, letting them fly around and observe it. They tried to scare it away, but as they saw that it didn't behave in an aggressive way, they calmed down. In a few minutes they usually flew back onto the cliff walls. If they returned to approach the drone while flying, I assumed there was a nest around, and pulled back and around.
Love to see those videos

If you try a colored wrap let us know what the birds reactions are. I'd love to be able to fly the coastline.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom