DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Birds are rude

I had my first close encounter with a bird this morning. Was hovering at 120m/400ft, focusing on camera screen to position a shot on boat being launched, suddenly flash of black, screen shook violently, and a polite message of 'obstacle avoided'.
Luckily drone continued to hover...
Looked up and didn't actually see a bird nearby, though my reactions weren't that fast and obviously moved away already, everything looks quite small at that altitude...
Can't fly up when you're at your max set altitude!

When I eventually landed couldn't see any signs of bird encounter. Just glad it didn't make a long plunge into the ocean. They're impossible to insure in South Africa.

Have ordered a bright yellow stripey skin, for what its worth.

Reactions: Flange4
...Have ordered a bright yellow stripey skin, for what its worth.
ugh. yeah, i thought about that. likely the color of the mavic is why it seems to get more bird interaction than the phantoms.
I like it though...don't want it to be any more obvious in the sky to others, but that's probably a good call.

Take a look at my profile pic - lol. I was busy looking down at the iPd and saw a quick flash a bottom of screen and thought "WTF was that?" Then played it back and isolated the frames and Voila! there was my little red tailed hawk! In any event, Climb - Climb - Climb then decide what to do next....

I think sometimes they are just curious as to who the new guy on the block is. With a Syma x8 I had a Hawk land in a nearby tree and carefully watch the drone as I flew it around. I flew in close at the same level to see what it would do and the hawk just flew away. Recently I've noticed twice vultures gaithering as I flew the Mavic.

BTW, my understanding is small plane pilots are taught to climb quick if they encounter birds up close. That's always may tactic with the Mavic...then run for it in sports mode!

Some birds of prey fly high. So high that you won't notice them until they start their attack run. "Route all power to front deflector shields"

I have flown my old P1 for years now and never had a single bird bother me.

Got the Mavic about 8 flights ago and nearly every flight, birds go crazy around it. So far they just fly around it really fast and once, I got an "obstacle - 16ft" warning when in a wide open space. What is it about this thing that pisses the birds off so much?!

What to do? I throw mine in sport mode and gtfo of there. Can a bird do 40? Not yet in my experience!

#4 I dont blame the bird at all. Shouldn't have been flying right next to the nest.

Something to Consider when it comes to Aggressive Birds. Aggressive birds learn early on in their life, that being aggressive is what puts food on the table for themselves and their families during breeding and nesting season. They also use this Aggressive behavior for dominance and intimidation and simply hunting for food. Yet, if the tables are turned, the majority of the time the Aggressive Bird will back down and leave the Aggressor alone. Thankfully the Mavic's blades are collapsible and if they come in contact with something soft, will return to original state or extended. If I thought for one moment that I was going to loose my Mavic to any bird and had the opportunity, would turn the tables and go after the aggressor if possible, just to see what happens. I have watched crows take on a red tailed hawk and win, the hawk hauls butt once the crows go after him/she. When fishing, have watched Bald Eagles flying a few hundred feet up playing around. One or the other of the two Eagles would turn on it's back while flying and extend it's claws upward towards the opposing Eagle coming down from above. It was a beautiful sight to behold, for sure. This is the only bird of Prey that I have seen fly upside down and fight an opponent coming down from above. This does not mean that hawks and other birds can not do the same when pushed. Unfortunately, this all happened when I was out fishing and that means water, so if the Eagle got really ticked off and attacked the drone, it would be found around Davey Jones Locker.

Got the Mavic about 8 flights ago and nearly every flight, birds go crazy around it. So far they just fly around it really fast and once, I got an "obstacle - 16ft" warning when in a wide open space. What is it about this thing that pisses the birds off so much?!

What to do? I throw mine in sport mode and gtfo of there. Can a bird do 40? Not yet in my experience!

My guess is the sonar sensors at the bottom of the Mavic that kinda makes the birds go nuts..

Reactions: NinjaBlade
Certainly a hazard if you are flying beyond visual range. You would never see the bird chasing you or diving towards your craft.

Same here. I NEVER have issues flying any of my other drones, especially my huge Matrice. Even my Phantoms are bird free. It must just be the color and shape of the Mavic. I am also waiting to here if bright colored skins might help. I'll put one on if it really helps keeps them away.

I've definitely noticed birds seem to be particularly curious about the Mavic...I've found that climbing helps calm them. Would definitely invest in an ultrasonic alarm that could be triggered remotely though. I'm conscious about avoiding nesting areas as I understand birds will always protect their nests, as they should. But I don't want my drone to be defenceless if it is swarmed/attacked without provocation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy Green