DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Block GPS

Reactions
Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find anything on search.
I live two miles from a major airport but have a large abandoned sports complex next door I can fly in. My problem is,while inside the complex, I pickup enough gps signals that the Mavic won't fly because it's a no fly zone. Any suggestions on how to work around this?

AAAAND, this is why regulations are becoming stiffer and stiffer with each drone sold.

AAAAND, this is why regulations are becoming stiffer and stiffer with each drone sold.
My understanding is the FAA has no regulations for UAS indoor flight in or out of a no fly zone. If this is incorrect please direct me to the specific regulation that prohibits this. Also I am not fly in my living room but an indoor complex that is 400' long, 150' wide and 100' high.

This is not practical, but covering the top of your Mavic with tinfoil might allow you to work around that issue.

This is not practical, but covering the top of your Mavic with tinfoil might allow you to work around that issue.

This is off topic kind of, but my MP will arrive next week at my workplace. A large building, but not really high ceilings and lots of electronic interference (a print shop). Is it possible to preflight with all necessary updates and calibrations, except for Compass Cal, and fly it inside a little using the avoidance sensors? I don't want to Cal the Compass until I get home and go to my flying field 20miles away from work.

You definitely don't want to calibrate the compass inside a building. Doing it outside is the way to go. There's no need to wait until you get to your flying field.

Reactions: ed1nh0 and J-Dub
For anyone following this post I did find a way to block the gps signal and fly in atti mode. First, aluminum foil does not work. I order, off eBay, a cell phone pouch that blocks gps signals, removed the liner and fabricated a hood for the back of the Mavic effectively covering where the GPS receiver is located but not affecting the rear vents or status light. Results-0 gps acquired.

Basicaly, you need wrap the back of the mavic with tinfoil.

Reactions: deltalimatango
IMG_0791.JPG IMG_0792.JPG Aluminum foil is a myth. Here are pictures of the shield, I just cut to fit, folded and super glued the seams. There is a front flap that is held in place when you insert the battery and the back is held using the Velcro dot I already have there to hold a flytron strobe.

So Spencer, with this GPS hood, the mavic stays in ATTI mode, Correct? Good job BTW.

This is all about government control. There has been no stated case of a DJI drone killing anyone but there have been many cases of people getting killed by guns! What's more important drone control or gun control?

Yes I agree the NFZ around Washington DC at 15 miles makes sense and airports, prisons and military bases etc. but 30 miles is ridiculous and paranoid!

Peace & hair grease

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Mavicknight
Basicaly, you need wrap the back of the mavic with tinfoil.

I believe he said tin foil did not work... although I wonder if copper foil would? I used to get interference from one of my GoPro knock off cameras and could not get a GPS lock.... I wrapped the camera in copper foil: Problem solved.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman