DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brightest and most reliable tablet that fits?

Marty Markoe

Reactions
Site
www.martymarkoephotography.com
I've been flying drones since P4. Giving Mavic Pro to cousin and acquiring Mavic Pro 2. Want to purchase a tablet dedicated to the Pro 2 with the following:
  1. Reliable
  2. 7" or 8" screen
  3. Fit the Pro 2 controller without modification, no tablet holder
  4. Preferably bright enough to not require a sunshade
I've always been an Android user. As the tablet will only be used for Pro 2, I am willing to go to a Mini 4. Read most posts on this topic but not noticed any consensus on Mini 4 screen brightness?

Crystal sky will beat everything on brightness but I’m not convinced they have the bugs killed. Mini 4 works well with DJI system. I just use a big hat to shade the screen. Waiting to see if a mini 5 shows up.
Thanks, but bugs (of the insect or technical variety) I can do without. Won't wear a hat as it musses up my hair. :)

Reactions: kilomikebravo
I use both but as you stated you don’t want to use a holder. Enjoy your mini 4. If you live in the desert like me get a hood for the mini. Happy thanksgiving and safe flying.

I use both but as you stated you don’t want to use a holder. Enjoy your mini 4. If you live in the desert like me get a hood for the mini. Happy thanksgiving and safe flying.
Thanks for responding. Are you saying the Crystal Sky requires a holder?
Marty

Cs device requires a special contraption for attaching to whatever rc you have. Look at DJI website.

Using the note 9 loving it. Looks much better than either the mini or ipad pro as for color and brightness. imo

Yup it’s a hidden gem isn’t it, that screen is unbelievable! Only downside is they’re not cheap.

Reactions: kkslss
agreed, it's a beautiful screen and definitely looks better than the ipad.
I was seriously looking into an iPad until I saw them side by side.

I use a Note 9 and haven’t had any problems and in the U.K. I’ve never had an issue with the brightness not being strong enough

Reactions: kkslss
Crystal sky will beat everything on brightness but I’m not convinced they have the bugs killed. Mini 4 works well with DJI system. I just use a big hat to shade the screen. Waiting to see if a mini 5 shows up.
I've been flying drones since P4. Giving Mavic Pro to cousin and acquiring Mavic Pro 2. Want to purchase a tablet dedicated to the Pro 2 with the following:
  1. Reliable
  2. 7" or 8" screen
  3. Fit the Pro 2 controller without modification, no tablet holder
  4. Preferably bright enough to not require a sunshade
I've always been an Android user. As the tablet will only be used for Pro 2, I am willing to go to a Mini 4. Read most posts on this topic but not noticed any consensus on Mini 4 screen brightness?
I have the Crystal Sky Ultra. Not only is it the brightest possible, but it's a very good image as well. I've never had any bug or other issues with my CSU.
With the CSU, I do use a tablet holder, however, others put velcro on the underside of the CS, and velcro either on the MP arms, or an RC fake phone like insert that extends above the arms to accept the velcro connection. There are youtube videos on this approach.
My favorite approach is to use either DJI goggles, or to support the CSU on a tripod. The tripod places the CSU at eye level, so no neck strain from constantly looking down at the monitor. Most everyone has a decent enough tripod laying around the house, and the CSU tripod adapter from Mav Mount costs only $29.
I also have the ipad mini 4, and it is good, but not at all bright. However, you can stand in the shade, and your good to go.
Also, you can fly from within your vehicle, and never have sun glare issues. Believe it or not, flying from within your vehicle works well.

I recently got the Note 8 for when I did not want to use my iPad with hood, but what I found is that bright sun usually means heat and the Note 8 throttles back the brightness and puts me back to square one needing the hood and ipad.

Crystalsky is probably the best alternative provided 1) you dont mind spending all that cash and 2) you dont ever want to run a third party program like Litchi.

I have a note 8 which works well however 1) if it gets hot it scales back the brightness and 2) the light sensor has to be in direct sunlight for high brightness to come on (it cant be turned on manually) and without high brightness there is still problems seeing the screen and reflections are an issue. 3) a little too small for me.

ipads are great in many respects however they have one of the lowest NITs

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8" has great brightness but same issues as the Note 8 mentioned above.

Personally I use either Ipad Mini or Tab S2 8" both with a mount and a Hoodman. Only way to go to see the screen perfectly and still be able to use Litchi. Other side benefit of the mount is that the tablet seems too big when holding the controller.

Reactions: Romi
I recently got the Note 8 for when I did not want to use my iPad with hood, but what I found is that bright sun usually means heat and the Note 8 throttles back the brightness and puts me back to square one needing the hood and ipad.

This cannot be correct.

In fact, the opposite should happen.

The higher end Samsung devices have a 'screen brightness boost' function.

What that means is, say , the brightest you can achieve by sliding the slider is 100 nits, when strong light is detected by the front sensor, it boosts brightness to easily 140.

One of the main reasons I've not moved over from the note series to competing devices.

That’s interesting as that’s not been my experience at all. I’ve flown in very bright hot conditions numerous times using a note 8 and I have never noticed any throttling back. In fact I’ve binned all my sun hoods as they’re just not necessary any more.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife