DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying , or not buying ?. That is the question.

@Jam0ne my reason for not buying the Mini 4 pro right now ,is because i dont feel that as wonderful as the upgrades are ,the Mini 3 pro i now have ,serves my purpose perfectly ,in the Mini drone sector

I have a mini 3 (not the pro) and I love that little bird alot. It's just fun. My Mavic 3 is for more serious flights and is an amazing aircraft. Been watching the Air 3 but not biting. The Mini 4 Pro gives me a fully loaded mini and likely will get FPV capability as the Air 3 just did. A mini 4 pro in FPV would be a blast to fly! Ive been hovering over the "Buy now " button in the Dji store already!!! Considering my current mini 3 batteries are compatible its very tempting!
UPDATE
I ordered with RC-N2 and nothing else.
It's on the way!

Last edited:
I have a friend with the Mini 3 Pro so I felt compelled to sell mine and upgrade before him. The DJI store is supposed to go live in 23min as of my typing. I'll be on it. The 10bit Dlog M and waypoints were merely icing on the cake. New occusync and avoidance were candles on the cake. The new tracing stuff will be fun for some but thus far I've never used any of those functions on any of my drones. Someday. I didn't sell my Mav3 when I got the pro and might have kept the Mini 3 but there was a college kid that was dying for a drone so I sold it to him for a song and a dance. Turns out the Mini3 ND filters won't work on the 4 and I'll get a Combo so the kid will get a free soft case and filters. Everyone wins.

Out of principle, I won't buy new DJI drones in the first six months after launch. Been buying the last half dozen at launch and after thinking about it, can't see a real benefit for continuing to do so.
It comes down to whether you want it now or later lol.

Bought. I gotta keep a complete collection ;)

Mini left my vocabulary when the Mini1 props kept hitting the body. After two trips to DJI and a replacement was sent, it found a new owner.
Not going the “mini” route ever again.
I have all the rest which keeps me occupied.

Reactions: Jam0ne
Mini left my vocabulary when the Mini1 props kept hitting the body
The newer Minis (even the 2) are quite a bit better build quality wise than the original Mini. I guess that's par for the course though. The first year of any DJI drone model really wasn't the greatest.

I have a Mavic 2 Pro, which has been rock solid and has been dazzling with its camera quality for about 3 years. I recently bought the Costco Mini 3 Pro fly more package. Two reasons to buy it: (1) the FAA’s remote ID requirement was scheduled to go into effect in mid-Sept and it looks like DJI won’t be upgrading the software for that function until December; and (2) I was intrigued at the having a lightweight drone to have more readily at hand to pop quickly into the air for opportunistic shots and videos. (And maybe, just maybe, after 3 years with my M2Pro I was ready for the shot-in-the-arm that comes from purchasing a new drone). The FAA remote ID rule has been postponed, but reason #2 is still operative.

Just as I was ready to jump on the Costco deal (last days of August), I learned that the Mini 4 Pro was likely to come out soon. It was all rumor mill info then, but it seemed solid enough to predict it would be out while I was still in my 90-day Costco return window. So I took the plunge on the Mini 3 Pro and found it to be a lightweight, but solid and satisfying drone on all levels, and a nice complement to my stout more heavyweight M2P. And since then, I’ve been waiting to see how things would shake out on the Mini 4 Pro in terms of release date and upgraded functions.

And the Mini 4 Pro is now out and the upgraded features have been vetted in early reviews and releases.

Bottom line for me is that I am going to return the Mini 3 Pro to Costco. I’ve had it slightly less than 30 days, so it will be an easy return. The Costco package price was attractive, but the DJI price on the new package strikes me as a better deal (it comes with the plus batteries and the RC2 controller, where the Costco package was the N1 controller and the regular batteries). More important, the enhanced features of the Mini 4 Pro are valuable to me — 360 obstacle avoidance in particular, waypoints are a plus, and the others that have been discussed via the rumor mill are nice. One thing I didn’t catch in the rumors was the 360 degree tracking. That is something I would really like. So all in all, the Mini 4 Pro is a great move up for me from the Mini 3 Pro since I can return it for a full refund. I just need to be prepared for the shake down issues that come with a brand new on the market drone, which likely will require some frequent firmware upgrades. I’m very willing to weather those for the improvements that the Mini 4 Pro incorporates!

Reactions: Jam0ne
I have a Mavic 2 Pro, which has been rock solid and has been dazzling with its camera quality for about 3 years. I recently bought the Costco Mini 3 Pro fly more package. Two reasons to buy it: (1) the FAA’s remote ID requirement was scheduled to go into effect in mid-Sept and it looks like DJI won’t be upgrading the software for that function until December; and (2) I was intrigued at the having a lightweight drone to have more readily at hand to pop quickly into the air for opportunistic shots and videos. (And maybe, just maybe, after 3 years with my M2Pro I was ready for the shot-in-the-arm that comes from purchasing a new drone). The FAA remote ID rule has been postponed, but reason #2 is still operative.

Just as I was ready to jump on the Costco deal (last days of August), I learned that the Mini 4 Pro was likely to come out soon. It was all rumor mill info then, but it seemed solid enough to predict it would be out while I was still in my 90-day Costco return window. So I took the plunge on the Mini 3 Pro and found it to be a lightweight, but solid and satisfying drone on all levels, and a nice complement to my stout more heavyweight M2P. And since then, I’ve been waiting to see how things would shake out on the Mini 4 Pro in terms of release date and upgraded functions.

And the Mini 4 Pro is now out and the upgraded features have been vetted in early reviews and releases.

Bottom line for me is that I am going to return the Mini 3 Pro to Costco. I’ve had it slightly less than 30 days, so it will be an easy return. The Costco package price was attractive, but the DJI price on the new package strikes me as a better deal (it comes with the plus batteries and the RC2 controller, where the Costco package was the N1 controller and the regular batteries). More important, the enhanced features of the Mini 4 Pro are valuable to me — 360 obstacle avoidance in particular, waypoints are a plus, and the others that have been discussed via the rumor mill are nice. One thing I didn’t catch in the rumors was the 360 degree tracking. That is something I would really like. So all in all, the Mini 4 Pro is a great move up for me from the Mini 3 Pro since I can return it for a full refund. I just need to be prepared for the shake down issues that come with a brand new on the market drone, which likely will require some frequent firmware upgrades. I’m very willing to weather those for the improvements that the Mini 4 Pro incorporates!
Wouldn't expect anything less....return M3P for M4P is a no-brainer at this point.

Reactions: 3rdof5
I ordered my Mini 4 Pro from DJI.com today but did not want the RC controller. So I ordered my own Fly More combo 'à la carte' as I wanted an RC-N2 controller as I prefer my phone as a display.

Upgrading from my first drone I got this past July -- a Mini 2 SE. Reason for upgrading -- I wanted the better camera and obstacle avoidance technology despite never having a crash in my short flying experience.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the Mini 2 SE Fly More combo I have now but really don't need two drones.

No real need for an upgrade to Mini 4, having Mavic 3 classic (photography), Air 3 (basic one) and Mini 3 pro for lightweight and small package, all here easily flyable in Europe with reasonably easy to get license. Mini 4 is no real "huge upgrade" in my case.
My daughter has a Mini 2 and Mini 1 (and the license for a bigger one in Europe), Mini 1 goes to other family beginner now. So comes the new drone question to replace Mini 1 for her, keeping the Mini 2 for her. Mini 4 versus Mini 2 is a 10-20% upgrade (small) where Air3 versus Mini 2 is a real upgrade. There is a price difference, but with the Air 3 you get really something significative as upgrade, the x3 lens, stability in the wind, .... Having a Mini2 make all the "small drone" aspect pointless for the Mini 4 and almost a minimal upgrade. Air 3 / Mini 3 price difference is not huge and the Air 3 is much more worst the money as upgrade compared to Mini 4, and it its firmware is more mature currently.

So Mini 1 -> Air 3, in our case.

Reactions: Jam0ne and Torque
What is your reason for "YES buying" a Mini4 ?
(and what are you doing with your "old" drone?)

What is your reason for "NOT buying" a Mini4?
Yes! Purchased the Mini 4 Pro w/RC-N2 earlier tonight at Amazon.com (delivery est. Thursday, 9/28). Was planning to purchase a Mini 3 Pro and saw the -4 Pro was launched today... had to go for it! LOTS of nice safety features and flight modes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jam0ne and Torque
I use my Drones to do security, So while all the new features are nice for the Photgraphers out there, My equipment just needs to see, zoom in, and focus for a quik snap. I don't need to Edit anything so My Air 2s and even my old Mavic pro do the job perfectly. plus I have too much stuff that is compatable with the "old" Occusyncs so I dont wanna waste more money on a new pro controler, New goggles, and all the rest.

I'm in a very similar position: I bought my M3P from an online retailer named after a South American river two weeks ago, and I will be returning it next week and buying a M4P. I would have done that even if the M4P upgrades had been less appealing. I really can't find any rational reason not to. (Also I will be getting the RC2 instead on the NC1 I have currently, because I hope to be able to use it with other new drones in the future). I deliberately did not buy directly from DJI as I knew the M4P was coming out, even though I didn't know exactly when, and I wanted to take advantage of the longer return window (4 weeks vs 2 weeks here in the UK)

Reactions: Jack in Dixie
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1