DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CAA 500m rule

prawnabie

Reactions
So I’ve been reading EU law ready for my A2 certification and the CAA state the drone must remain within a 500m distance of the pilot. Judging by most of the UK drone videos I have seen this rule is either not known, ignored or perhaps not applicable anymore?

Most of the people with videos on how to safely pilot a drone show themselves doing 1km+ outbound journeys.

Have I got the wrong end of the stick as this seems just as important as the 120m max height rule?

Last edited:
Reactions: Moggs
I think it is still applicable. The CAA states in Cap 722
that the drone pilot must stay within VLOS so that he/she
is able to maintain direct visual contact with the UA which
is sufficient to monitor its flightpath in relation to other aircraft, persons, vessels, vehicles or structures for the purpose of avoiding collision. Within the UK VLOS is normally accepted out to a maximum distance of 500m
horizontally and 400ft vertically from the remote pilot.
Operating at a greater distance of 500m, extended visual line of sight (EVLOS) would need approval from the CAA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: charliej
Much like speed limits on the roads, it’s ignored by some and kept to by others. I always make sure I’m flying within the law and let others do as they will.

@prawnabie ,@Gary.r ,couple of things there guys ,the max height is 400ft not 150m,also the 500m max distance has been a recommendation that has existed for a long time you will be hard pressed to see a Mavic pro or air2 at 500m anyway,let alone know which direction it is flying ,and as far as the Mini1 or 2 is concerned then it would be virtually invisible at 500m,the CAA know how visible our drones are at distance ,they just dont pluck these numbers out of thin air ,it does not matter what you see on the internet ,dont be that person who gets a fine or has their gear confiscated, fly within the rules and you will be ok

@prawnabie ,@Gary.r ,couple of things there guys ,the max height is 400ft not 150m,also the 500m max distance has been a recommendation that has existed for a long time you will be hard pressed to see a Mavic pro or air2 at 500m anyway,let alone know which direction it is flying ,and as far as the Mini1 or 2 is concerned then it would be virtually invisible at 500m,the CAA know how visible our drones are at distance ,they just dont pluck these numbers out of thin air ,it does not matter what you see on the internet ,dont be that person who gets a fine or has their gear confiscated, fly within the rules and you will be ok
Sorry.....i put metres not feet, now corrected on post, silly me.

One point, the 400ft AGL ceiling is, as far as I am aware, nothing to do with VLOS.
I believe it relates to keeping the drone below the minimum height floor for manned aircraft which might be 500ft AGL

Reactions: AVInteractive
Sorry I meant 120m I should proof read my posts!

I just can’t get my head around the fact the people who are claiming to be showing you how to fly safe are posting these videos.

I’ve flown IC engined aircraft for a number of years now and wouldn’t dream of taking a plane out without knowing hazards around the locations and rules to abide by. I guess YouTube money trumps safety these days.

Reactions: old man mavic
One point, the 400ft AGL ceiling is, as far as I am aware, nothing to do with VLOS.
I believe it relates to keeping the drone below the minimum height floor for manned aircraft which might be 500ft AGL
I'm just quoting chapter and verse from the CAA cap 722 guidance
of operations wording. ??

the difference between the minimum for manned aircraft and our maximum is a separation distance to avoid contact ,but military aircraft ,the police and emergency services can and do fly below that 500ft minimum and that is really the whole reason for VLOS so we can see our drone in relation to them and take action to avoid them,we have more chance of seeing a low flying aircraft that the pilot of that aircraft seeing our drone , and there are strict rules on the type of aircraft that can fly at reduced altitudes such as twin engines and built in redundancy for the flight control systems

"aircraft that can fly at reduced altitudes such as" multi "engines and built in redun......."

Like a Hercules flying the Mach Loop??????????????? LOL
That would be something to see.
Have you been to the Mach Loop OMM? Those guys must have some ........guts

Reactions: old man mavic
not in person but have seen many of the flying videos that are out about the Mach loop,its very intense flying ,one mistake and its ejector seat time if your lucky

Reactions: RonW
I can avoid hazards much better by looking at the image on my controller rather than by direct view except when taking off or landing. I feel as comfortable flying at 3 km distance as at 100 metres. With over 110 km of flights with my MPP I haven't had any incidents except once when it was 20 metres away and I was looking at the drone and missed a message on the controller that the battery voltage was too low and the craft simply dropped out of the sky!
I guess I am breaking the regulations, but I will continue to do so as it is a crazy regulation! I have written to our national regulators to protest at the regulation. More of us should be doing that - unless you disagree! ))

I guess I am breaking the regulations, but I will continue to do so as it is a crazy regulation! I have written to our national regulators to protest at the regulation. More of us should be doing that - unless you disagree! ))
Aye and if more of us followed your example how long do you think it would be before the "powers that be" compel manufacturers to introduce unbreakable and idiotic range limits in the hardware? Doesn't India have some ridiculous legal range limit that might even be software enforced?

edit 15 m restriction for mavic mini 2 India

Shaft yourself by all means but remember the actions of people such as yourself reflect on all drone fliers and those of us that try to fly in accordance with the rules have to suffer the consequences of actions of ....... such as yourself

But if no ones challenges the powers that be, then when will the rule ever change? It is an idiotic rule that doesn't make any sense with modern technology.
BTW, I made a mistake in my original post I have flown 1200 km.

The example I should be setting is that we should all be writting to the authorities and complaining.

So I’ve been reading EU law ready for my A2 certification and the CAA state the drone must remain within a 500m distance of the pilot. Judging by most of the UK drone videos I have seen this rule is either not known, ignored or perhaps not applicable anymore?

Most of the people with videos on how to safely pilot a drone show themselves doing 1km+ outbound journeys.

Have I got the wrong end of the stick as this seems just as important as the 120m max height rule?

But if no ones challenges the powers that be, then when will the rule ever change? It is an idiotic rule that doesn't make any sense with modern technology.
BTW, I made a mistake in my original post I have flown 1200 km.
I assume you are taking the .....

Either way, and assuming you are UK based, PLEASE PLEASE do write to the CAA and tell me of their idiocy and your exploits, I will look forward to reading of you becoming the UK's "fined $182,000".

@JohnChap ,regardless of what you might think of the rules ,they are there ,and if you wish to break them ,then you are just making it more difficult for all of us in the hobby
you are of course entitled to your opinion ,and by all means write to the CAA with your comments ,as to why you feel it is an idiotic rule ,good luck with that by the way
if you do not intend to follow the VLOS rule, then maybe this forum is not the best place to air those views ,and thats my personal opinion as well

I can avoid hazards much better by looking at the image on my controller rather than by direct view except when taking off or landing. I feel as comfortable flying at 3 km distance as at 100 metres. With over 110 km of flights with my MPP I haven't had any incidents except once when it was 20 metres away and I was looking at the drone and missed a message on the controller that the battery voltage was too low and the craft simply dropped out of the sky!
If you fly way way out past VLOS your tablet screen or phone or what ever devise you are using will have a much smaller field of view than your eyes so you cannot
guarantee to see everything in the area where the drone is flying. i never rely on
just my tablet in case something is fast approaching that you must as a remote
pilot give way to.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure