DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Called John Wayne airport (SNA) to notify them of flight

wnfaknd

Reactions
I have flown at the mile square park in fountain valley, which is just shy of 5 miles from John Wayne Airport.
I've flown here a few times before not thinking it was that close to the airport, but when I opened google earth and measured the distance is around 4.75 miles away.

So I call the tower to let them know that i was going to fly and the lady that picked up told me that the people that would give permission to these requests were not in and that I was unable to obtain and official permission from ATC. She also acknowledged that, technically, I'm supposed to only notify them and that if I don't obtain permission, I would be flying at my own risk.

I'm not flying today since its raining, but I wanted to see how the process works.

Reactions: kiteboy
I called my local airport and talked with a very nice lady. She said that since I am not flying very high (under 300') there is no reason to call them but she appreciates me letting them know I was going to fly. I asked her if she has been getting alot of calls about this and she laughed and said "nonstop". I believe it!

sent from my Galaxy Note4

Last edited:
...I asked her if she has been getting alot of calls about this and she laughed and said "nonstop". I believe it!

sent from my Galaxy Note4

Good 'ole government bureaucrats... Making rules that only make life more difficult. I bet she appreciates all the busy work and distractions those new rules have caused. SMH.

Reactions: Blades
Good 'ole government bureaucrats... Making rules that only make life more difficult. I bet she appreciates all the busy work and distractions those new rules have caused. SMH.
HAH! indeed. They make these rules and then no one is really ready for the added work.
But its good to hear that hobbyist are taking the FAA rules seriously and making the calls when necessary.

Reactions: Blades
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78