DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Calling ATC to comply with a COA

CaptainWes

Reactions
I was issued a COA by the FAA for an upcoming operation and there is a provision that I call the control tower at least 15 minutes before flight. This may seem like a silly question, but what do I say to the controller that answers when I call?

If atc is who you call they have your auth in front of them. If you're going through center, same thing.

Location, starting time, ending time.

Reactions: CaptainWes
I was issued a COA by the FAA for an upcoming operation and there is a provision that I call the control tower at least 15 minutes before flight. This may seem like a silly question, but what do I say to the controller that answers when I call?
I would simply say that you were advised to call and ask him what he needs to know - he will be busy and - because you’ve been told to call, he’s likely expecting your call and aware of the broad outlines of your flight.

I try to make it quick. "Hi; Bill with Eyes Up! Drone Services. I have authorization for a drone flight .2 miles SW of the tower at 70', and plan to take off in 15 minutes. Anything else you need from me?"
Exactly! Make it quick and to the point.

Cheers!

Thanks for all the great replies. I took the thread's advice and kept it quick, polite, and concise. "Good afternoon Tower, this is Wes with a Part 107 authorization 3.5 miles SE of the airport ready to go in 15 minutes. Is there anything else you need from me?"

They seemed to be expecting me like several of you pointed out, and did not need anything else.
Thanks for the help!

I've had to call both civilian towers and military installations. Calls have always been cordial and quick. Sometimes I've been asked to call back when my flight is over, sometimes I've been told not to bother. If they don't mention it, I usually close with, "would you like me to call back at the conclusion of the flight?"

Reactions: WildDoktor
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15