DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

can DJI land or disable your drone?

But they can receive software updates via the internet through your phone.

My phone and most phones won't allow Internet access to other devices without specifically enabling a "tether" or "sharing" feature. This puts it firmly into the category of third party provisions, as I listed above.

My phone and most phones won't allow Internet access to other devices without specifically enabling a "tether" or "sharing" feature. This puts it firmly into the category of third party provisions, as I listed above.
It's not allowing internet access to another device. It's your phone allowing internet access to the DJI GO app. This is where the real time updates come from for NFZ, and the APP will send commands to your drone if it enters or is in a temp NFZ. This is easy to test. Next time you are near a temp NFZ, go there and try to fly (ensure your phone has internet access - isn't in airplane mode or something) and the app won't let you take off in the temp NFZ.

Here's an example where someone had a cached temp NFZ on their ipad that didn't allow them to take off. He worked around it by disabling GEO, thus working on the old NFZ system that doesn't have real time updates. Erroneous no fly zone, what do I do?

Last edited:
Yes, the newer drones have real time updating via the controller, assuming the controller has an internet connection. It gets real time NFZ info via the net and will send commands to the drone to land if a temp NFZ pops up and you are inside it.

Thanks, I was wondering about that.

I wonder if people are forgetting that in order for the drone to even fly in the first place you had to have an activation key sent to the drone VIA DJI Go 4 app. If DJI wants to disable a particular drone or all the drones in one country all they have to do is wait on you to use DJI Go 4 with WiFi on and then send a command to reset the authorization Key.

I have seen this done by Motorola with a product called a Digicipher. They sent out the commands 24/7 to all know serial numbers. Even if you had the unit plugged out and put in a closet for 6 months the moment you turned it on and it got access the unit would shutdown within minutes.

Interesting post. I have wondered about this for a long time.
If the US Government bans drones all together could DJI just stop all drones in the USA from flying? Forget GPS mode, they already know where you are! If you travel outside the USA it would probably become unblocked when exposed to that locations GPS data.

After 9/11 when all aircraft where grounded we had a glimpse into a possible scenario that DJI might have planned for. Back then drones where not an issue but today they are. It is very possible that drones may also be grounded and DJI might just have built in that kind of capability.

One last thing, what happens if you take off in a regular zone but fly into a no flight zone? Does the Mavic just warn you or does it stop moving forward?

Thanks
Rob

I suppose there is a better way to look at what control there is, or what control there can be with our aircraft. The Government in the US has no reason at this time to even consider such a ban. It would not take much for dji to export a shutdown on it's manufactured product. However, it would also not take much for the aftermarket to become involved either and create a device allowing you to continue flying.

If flying into a no fly zone, the aircraft responds as if it just reached the end of a bungee strap or bouncing back from a padded invisible wall.

I have been using a app called "OS Monitor" on my tablets and android smart phone. It is great for showing what all is connecting to your device and what it is they are doing.

Interesting post. I have wondered about this for a long time.
If the US Government bans drones all together could DJI just stop all drones in the USA from flying? Forget GPS mode, they already know where you are! If you travel outside the USA it would probably become unblocked when exposed to that locations GPS data.

After 9/11 when all aircraft where grounded we had a glimpse into a possible scenario that DJI might have planned for. Back then drones where not an issue but today they are. It is very possible that drones may also be grounded and DJI might just have built in that kind of capability.

One last thing, what happens if you take off in a regular zone but fly into a no flight zone? Does the Mavic just warn you or does it stop moving forward?

Thanks
Rob[/QUOTE
I've had this happen to me. If you fly into restricted airspace. For example you take off away from an airport and fly too close. The drone will halt mid air and warn you of the restricted air space and not allow you to fly any further. A couple options pop up on the screen that take you to some permission page from dji.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos