DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

can DJI land or disable your drone?

akay1997

Reactions
Forgive me if this has been discussed already (I didn't find it). Was wondering that since Mavic cannot take off in no-fly zones can these no-fly zones be updated in real time?
For example:
What if you're flying in some area that suddenly becomes restricted (some emergency situation or new airport construction etc), Will the drone immediately receive command to land or become disabled in the air?

If no one knows the right answer, then I must only assume that there must be some security measure built in in all GPS drones to ground them all in cases of emergencies or terrorist attacks. At least I think it would be a cool wordlwide safety feature, if technically possible.

If there is a terrorist attack or a wide area emergency then THAT is when I want my drone up in the sky as much as possible. I think that's a horrible idea. Hell, it's basically why I bought it.

If there is a terrorist attack or a wide area emergency then THAT is when I want my drone up in the sky as much as possible. I think that's a horrible idea. ****, it's basically why I bought it.

...but drones nowadays can play a mojor role in actually carrying out such an attack.

If you live in fear... are you really living? Skiing has killed more people that drones ever have. Lets just regulate EVERYTHING that could possibly hurt you, then you can live a bubble.

that was not my question and I don't live in fear. I asked if DJI has the ability to do it.

Most of those that answer the question to this thread wont actually know the answer. If the aircraft has access to the internet, then dji could manipulate the flight.

This is speculation, but I feel like dji is going to add additional functions that allow someone else to take control of the aircraft, or at a minimum make it easy to identify. I always thought they would do it by sneaking into a new feature such as one that lets you communicate with your buddy if you happen to be flying together. But who knows, and as I say this is just speculation.

They can add a tracker that transmits a signal with a unique ID that can be read by authorities and identify the owner of the drone without having to capture it. It is like a virtual plate number visible electronically from miles away

Sent from my SM-G900FD using MavicPilots mobile app

They can add a tracker that transmits a signal with a unique ID that can be read by authorities and identify the owner of the drone without having to capture it. It is like a virtual plate number visible electronically from miles away

Sent from my SM-G900FD using MavicPilots mobile app

The way it is now each of your flights are uploaded to the skypixel.com server. They have been doing this for a long time now. All of your flights go there, but the only flights you have access to are the ones you have sync'd. And as you know, they do NOT let you know you yourself can access the mentioned site.

Reactions: Piranha
Interesting post. I have wondered about this for a long time.
If the US Government bans drones all together could DJI just stop all drones in the USA from flying? Forget GPS mode, they already know where you are! If you travel outside the USA it would probably become unblocked when exposed to that locations GPS data.

After 9/11 when all aircraft where grounded we had a glimpse into a possible scenario that DJI might have planned for. Back then drones where not an issue but today they are. It is very possible that drones may also be grounded and DJI might just have built in that kind of capability.

One last thing, what happens if you take off in a regular zone but fly into a no flight zone? Does the Mavic just warn you or does it stop moving forward?

Thanks
Rob

Reactions: mr.bill
Wouldn't you be able to simply disable GPS and fly local wifi only? This is tech - where there's a will there's a way.

Forgive me if this has been discussed already (I didn't find it). Was wondering that since Mavic cannot take off in no-fly zones can these no-fly zones be updated in real time?
For example:
What if you're flying in some area that suddenly becomes restricted (some emergency situation or new airport construction etc), Will the drone immediately receive command to land or become disabled in the air?

If no one knows the right answer, then I must only assume that there must be some security measure built in in all GPS drones to ground them all in cases of emergencies or terrorist attacks. At least I think it would be a cool wordlwide safety feature, if technically possible.
Yes, the newer drones have real time updating via the controller, assuming the controller has an internet connection. It gets real time NFZ info via the net and will send commands to the drone to land if a temp NFZ pops up and you are inside it.

The way it is now each of your flights are uploaded to the skypixel.com server. They have been doing this for a long time now. All of your flights go there, but the only flights you have access to are the ones you have sync'd. And as you know, they do NOT let you know you yourself can access the mentioned site.
Lots of people use healthydrones and willingly upload their flight data and video data, but if they read the privacy policy, they wouldn't use healthydrones.

Interesting post. I have wondered about this for a long time.
If the US Government bans drones all together could DJI just stop all drones in the USA from flying? Forget GPS mode, they already know where you are! If you travel outside the USA it would probably become unblocked when exposed to that locations GPS data.

After 9/11 when all aircraft where grounded we had a glimpse into a possible scenario that DJI might have planned for. Back then drones where not an issue but today they are. It is very possible that drones may also be grounded and DJI might just have built in that kind of capability.

One last thing, what happens if you take off in a regular zone but fly into a no flight zone? Does the Mavic just warn you or does it stop moving forward?

Thanks
Rob
Depending on the zone the mavic at worst case would automatically land right where it is.

Just my two cents:

I don't think DJI is able to monitor all cents flights around the globe.
Not because it is technically impossible, since they have access to all the information they need, but because of two reasons:

1. This is not their business. They have a lot on their plates to care about controlling all drones around the world, draining resources to a highly improbable situation. Imagine the control room with a huge world map with all the info in real time :) - They weren't able even to launch the DJI VR google!

2. Landing all drones creates a huge liability. Land in the middle of a highway in the rush hour for example. And considering we never sign any contract allowing them to control our drones, we will want a refund, right?

So, I really think it is highly improbable they can do it.

And IF they have the resources to monitor our drones, it will be much more lucrative to provide a search&find lost drones, right?

I guess the No-Fly zone are not updated on real time, but through the app updates.

(sorry my english)

Neto

There is no evidence that the controller nor the aircraft have any capability of reaching the Internet or any other networking system.

GPS receivers are not transmitters, and cannot receive any special data from third parties. GPS information is limited to timestamps and orbit ephemeris from the government's satellites.

The aircraft has a wifi option for very-short-range control without the game style controller. Many devices have wifi capability but also need to have access to a wifi provider through various third parties (starbucks, t-mobile, your home cable company, etc.) to reach the Internet.

The geo-fencing capability has been long documented: a firmware update can add or remove restricted areas, and a token system can temporarily override some restricted areas which you specifically request. If you don't like the geo-fencing, you have to disable GPS receivers, which also makes controlled flight far less stable. If you don't like changes to the geo-fencing, you just have to avoid performing a firmware update.

There is no evidence that the controller nor the aircraft have any capability of reaching the Internet or any other networking system.

GPS receivers are not transmitters, and cannot receive any special data from third parties. GPS information is limited to timestamps and orbit ephemeris from the government's satellites.

The aircraft has a wifi option for very-short-range control without the game style controller. Many devices have wifi capability but also need to have access to a wifi provider through various third parties (starbucks, t-mobile, your home cable company, etc.) to reach the Internet.

The geo-fencing capability has been long documented: a firmware update can add or remove restricted areas, and a token system can temporarily override some restricted areas which you specifically request. If you don't like the geo-fencing, you have to disable GPS receivers, which also makes controlled flight far less stable. If you don't like changes to the geo-fencing, you just have to avoid performing a firmware update.

The controller and aircraft do reach the internet. Mainly they look at data. But they can receive software updates via the internet through your phone. So for short the technology is in place. It can be manipulated. But there are easier ways for DJI to force the landing. Firmware that tells it do so when entering a certain area etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147