DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can you fly over military bases that don't have a helipad or airstrip?

kmaluo

Reactions
Haven't seen anything on the subject, so I'm curious. There's a Navy ship graveyard close by and I always wonder as I pass by if I could get the Mavic over it.

Haven't seen anything on the subject, so I'm curious. There's a Navy ship graveyard close by and I always wonder as I pass by if I could get the Mavic over it.
If its a military base than the answer is "NO"...

Only with permissions in place.
I have done RAF Cranwell but that took a lot of planning, red tape and going up and down the food chain of command to get the job done.
It also took some juggling with the tower since timings and slots needed to be critical (fighter jets going in and out).
I was also limited to 200ft ceiling but that wasn't a problem for the footage and shots I needed.
One last thing - I couldn't use a DJI platform since it was an active military base and so was Geo Fenced and didn't want the faff or embarrassment of not being able to fly if Geo unlock didn't work properly so I used another platform.
So in answer to your question - Only with very strict permissions in place, risk assessments signed off and possibly uprated insurance cover (depending on what you currently carry)
If you are doing it as hobby/fun - no chance!

Last edited:
I have the same experience flying airports . . . you can do it with the right clearances and qualifications. It's a lot of coordination and planning but it can be done safely. I've been reading the Air Incident Reports from Transport Canada an I'm appalled by the number of idiots (hundreds of them in Canada) flying up to 7000ft over airports or 1/2 mile short final near an active runway. . . . with no authorization at all.
Can't believe they would think it's ok if they were the ones in ROW 37F.

OP, what country are you in?

If you are in the US, then the answer is absolutely not without express permission.

For example, there is a local Outlying Landing Field (OLF) that is regularly used for fighter jet 'touch and go' practice. But they also regularly open it up on Sundays to let RC aircraft fly on their property.

Forget MILITARY BASES . . . minor problem. . . Porter Airlines Ottawa to Toronto today had a near miss at 9000ft on initial approach to Toronto Island Airport . . so close that the Pilot had to take evasive action . . This is definitely already out of control.

Forget MILITARY BASES . . . minor problem. . . Porter Airlines Ottawa to Toronto today had a near miss at 9000ft on initial approach to Toronto Island Airport . . so close that the Pilot had to take evasive action . . This is definitely already out of control.
This was a false report. It was a balloon. And there's already a thread on it on the forum.

The airliner was in the middle of Lake Ontario. Not a drone.

It's no false report when you have to take evasive action. News is reporting it both ways . . . pilot said "at first thought it was a balloon" but they are reporting it as a drone as of about 6pm today . . . we'll see what evolves . . .Over the past 2 weeks, I've reviewed every incident report this year and it's not exaggerating to say there are hundreds of Drone incidents as close encounters with civil aviation (at least 400+ since Jan 2016) . . and many between 2000-9000ft . . . in controlled airspace . . . not to mention the ones on "final approach" at Vancouver, Vancouver Harbour, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa.

I'm all for freedom of the skies . . . but there is no excuse for being above 300ft without a clearance. . . none.

None of these responses really address the OP original question about flying over a Military bases that don't have a helipad or airstrip

None of these responses really address the OP original question about flying over a Military bases that don't have a helipad or airstrip
Yes. The answer was given. Not without EXPLICIT permission. You CANNOT fly over any military base in the US. Does that help?

Yes. The answer was given. Not without EXPLICIT permission. You CANNOT fly over any military base in the US. Does that help?
Based on what? Where is it stated? Civilian aircraft pilots are permitted to fly over if i'm not mistaken. I'm not trying to be difficult, and common sense would probably suggest not flying near military facilities, just curious where its stated in law.

Reactions: kmaluo
Military installations vary . . . I'm sure some have no problem . . . but as an ex-military pilot I can tell you that all over N America there are blocks of restricted airspace around military bases and installations called CLASS F Airspace . . They are uncontrolled but where no aircraft can fly unless authorized . . not even military aircraft . . . unless authorized.

Here's the definition:
Class F airspace is uncontrolled, special use airspace. In Canada it comes in 2 flavours:

1. CYR - Restricted. No unauthorized aircraft may penetrate this zone.
  2. CYA - Advisory. The area is hazardous to the operation of civil aircraft, and therefore penetrating the zone is not recommended. However you may still fly through, but it's not ATC's problem to provide separation anymore.
Occasionally some airspace will be temporarily designated CYA or CYR. Like military training.

As for USA . . this is s pretty good legal definition of Military Operational Areas (MOA)
Airspace class (United States) - Wikipedia

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
So basically no, there is nothing preventing you from flying over military bases in general. BUT, there may be restrictions based on individual bases such as those that conduct flight operations. How is one to determine where it is safe to fly? For example, in Virginia Beach, VA according to U.S. Air Space Map | Know Before You Fly Fort Story/Joint Expeditionary Base East is covered under Heliports: Virginia Beach General Hospital. Therefor a UAV operator should be able to fly after calling the Heliport and notifying them of their operations? The issues with Fort Story is that they routine conduct flight operations, parachute drops, and military UAV flights.

If all there is in the area is a Hospital heliport then coordinating with them might be all you need but if it's a operational military installation with para drops and their own drone ops . . unless you are talking to someone there with authority like Base Commander or Base OpsO and getting OK signs. . . . I'd stay away. You're just asking for a conflict that will end badly . . . for you not them.

The OP still hasn't answered the question of what country he is in.
You are all giving answers for your location but this is why when asking for advice like this it's important you put your location in the post - he might be living/talking about Hungary or Finland or Germany or......... you get the idea.

If all there is in the area is a Hospital heliport then coordinating with them might be all you need but if it's a operational military installation with para drops and their own drone ops . . unless you are talking to someone there with authority like Base Commander or Base OpsO and getting OK signs. . . . I'd stay away. You're just asking for a conflict that will end badly . . . for you not them.
This point back to the lack of communication and regulation for flying. How is a civilian to know where to fly save if they were unaware of Para and UAV ops on base?

The OP still hasn't answered the question of what country he is in.
You are all giving answers for your location but this is why when asking for advice like this it's important you put your location in the post - he might be living/talking about Hungary or Finland or Germany or......... you get the idea.
Sorry, I'm in Oahu, Hawaii, USA.

Be aware that there are frequent VIP movement no fly zones that affect that entire island of Oahu. These might increase after January 20, 2017.

Be sure to always check for them.

Be aware that there are frequent VIP movement no fly zones that affect that entire island of Oahu. These might increase after January 20, 2017.

Yea I experienced that first hand last Christmas when "youknowwho" was there and you could not get anywhere near the Kua Aina cause his kids were having lunch . . and those secret guys were all over the place.

Will B4Ufly warn you of these?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe