DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can you recommend a free cinematography app

Carb63

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Can you recommend a free cinematography app, I’m just starting out and before I purchase an app to do cinematography I would like to know if there is a recommended app that you Fellas and Gals use that is free for the moment?

What kind of cinematography app are you looking for?

I’m looking to film landscapes wildlife scenery and later on possibly real estate. I’ve watched a couple YouTube videos and seeing some apps that they use, but of course there’s a cost to it. I want to know if this something free to dabble in first before I commit to paying a monthly or yearly subscription. What can you recommend.?

You can use DJI GO 4 to film wildlife landscapes (or anything else). If you're asking about editing the video, you can find a list of commonly used video editors here.

Reactions: Carb63
I assume you're speaking of editing/encoding software. I recently tried OpenShot and it worked great. 100% free, open-source, plenty of features and export options.

You can use DJI GO 4 to film wildlife landscapes (or anything else). If you're asking about editing the video, you can find a list of commonly used video editors here.
Yes. I should’ve been more clear. Thank Msinger.

I use windows movie maker... its limited unless you pay the $39 upgrade then it works great, for me anyway

Thanks guys. This helps a lot. I will download both and toggle between each to see which works best for me. Totally appreciate it. Love this forum !! ????

IMHO - Davinci Resolve is hands down the best in that list of free, but also not as easy to work with. It is a pro tool so it comes with a learning curve.

I do a lot of ground based video for the local news channels and I would recommend DaVinci Resolve as well.
Solid program used by pros and FREE..... The "Pro" version, which you won't need unless there is a team of you editing, is only $300 anyway,

I do a lot of ground based video for the local news channels and I would recommend DaVinci Resolve as well.
Solid program used by pros and FREE..... The "Pro" version, which you won't need unless there is a team of you editing, is only $300 anyway,
Awesome. Thx. ??

Another good free one is Shotcut. There are a lot of tutorials on Youtube, showing you how to use it.

DaVinci Resolve - be sure to look in Youtube for tutorials for help. I'm trying that one and also have Adobe Premiere Elements (preferred). When you do purchase keep in mind you don't need the latest/greatest,.. save money that way buying an older version (still have lots of use)

Reactions: zzxrox
Which ever software that your thinking about getting, make sure that your PC has at least the minimum system requirements. Video editing / encoding is very processor intensive.

I have a Mac air. How would I check for this ?

I have a Mac air. How would I check for this ?
I'm fairly new to drones and video editing myself. I'm sure somebody, with a lot more knowledge than me can explain more about this. But I believe that a lot depends on the quality of the video that you are shooting (1080, 2.7K, 4K). The higher the quality, the more intense the editing / encoding will be. The minimum requirements are on your PC, not the Mavic. I first tried using Davinci Resolve, then a few others, but they all ran so slow. A lot of them recommend an i7, 16GB Ram and a dedicated Video card. I'm using a laptop with an i7, 8GB of Ram and onboard Video. I've done a few videos using Shotcut and it seems to be working good for me. 53-63-6f-74-74 recommended OpenShot. I downloaded it and it also looks good. I'm going to give that a try. The only thing with OpenShot is that it doesn't look like you can do 2.7K and 4K. Shotcut can. Hope this helps.

Unless you are editing in Linux... No H264 support in Linux without purchasing. Probably something to do with the H264 CODEC having licensing restrictions that is free on Windows.

Reactions: jagraphics

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_