DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canada doesn't want you

Don’t need no... doesn’t that mean you DO need Canadian syrup ?
Yeah it was a typo but don’t pay him no mind send me some I love it.?

Hmmm! Can't carry a gun across the border without being stopped, so now you can't bring a UAV into Canada. Tells me there is no reason to ever go to Canada again...!

Let's face it: drone flying is over-regulated almost everywhere in the world with all sorts of (often silly) excuses and regulations. There are too many bureaucrats in the world who don't understand the beauty of drone flying/photography/videography and only see drones as a pest.
I should be possible to have an online test so someone can show they have enough awareness of what they are allow to do and not to do with a drone.
And it is sad that serious drone owners have to suffer due to some idiots doing extreme things.

Let's face it: drone flying is over-regulated almost everywhere in the world with all sorts of (often silly) excuses and regulations. There are too many bureaucrats in the world who don't understand the beauty of drone flying/photography/videography and only see drones as a pest.
I should be possible to have an online test so someone can show they have enough awareness of what they are allow to do and not to do with a drone.
And it is sad that serious drone owners have to suffer due to some idiots doing extreme things.
Agree with most of what you say... but would contend that online test=open book test.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Sure - the online test will be part of the 2 lowest categories certifications in Europe where I live. Non Europeans can also do the online test before come flying in Europe and fly legally in those 2 categories (say max weight 900 grams). But be sure to buy a EU certified drone.
I forgot to say that I love Canada as well as the US! When I return I will buy a Mavic Mini to fly there!

Last edited:
I am sick to death these people who are in charge of country's USA and CANADA you cant fly there you cant fly here , if you have past your test to fly and your hobby is to record scenery of a wonderful world we all life in , and if we fly safe what harm are we doing, i say cut the GUN LAWS that would be better then going after people who love this HOBBY WHO FLY SENSIBLE and take PHOTOS which we don"t KILL PEOPLE like GUNS DO.

• Angry
Reactions: Drgnfli
I say let’s give em the same back.
Is that comment really fair to us Canadian flyers? We don't make the dumb rules. Our liberal government does. Just sayin'. I haven't been allowed to fly for over a year because I haven't done the course or written the test that's required now. The True North Strong and Free...o_O

Reactions: KrowNB
Is that comment really fair to us Canadian flyers? We don't make the dumb rules. Our liberal government does. Just sayin'. I haven't been allowed to fly for over a year because I haven't done the course or written the test that's required now. The True North Strong and Free...o_O
No I guess it’s not and sorry. Really didn’t mean it at the folks flying but the government there.

I don’t blame the government for the rules. They are responding to public concern over yahoos who flaunt the rules and don’t seem to care about other people’s safety and well being. They can regulate citizens and enforce the laws much easier than they can for foreigners.

I wasn’t too thrilled with having to take the test and register my drones, but I can understand why the government is trying to crack down on drone pilots.

Case in point: I was camping with the family at a provincial park this past summer (where drones are prohibited) and there were two guys flying drones off a busy dock and in close proximity to beaches and lots of people swimming and boating. I was returning to shore in my kayak and some yahoo was buzzing me with his parrot drone. He was flying it at a high rate of speed and swooping down over me. It made me feel nervous and uncomfortable. This continued for a few minutes. I was mad as ( Mod Removed Langage )but decided not to get into a confrontation. It’s incidents like these that cause governments to make more stringent rules and often the law abiding drone flyers suffer the consequences.

Just my 2 cents.
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t blame the government for the rules. They are responding to public concern over yahoos who flaunt the rules and don’t seem to care about other people’s safety and well being. They can regulate citizens and enforce the laws much easier than they can for foreigners.

I wasn’t too thrilled with having to take the test and register my drones, but I can understand why the government is trying to crack down on drone pilots.

Case in point: I was camping with the family at a provincial park this past summer (where drones are prohibited) and there were two guys flying drones off a busy dock and in close proximity to beaches and lots of people swimming and boating. I was returning to shore in my kayak and some yahoo was buzzing me with his parrot drone. He was flying it at a high rate of speed and swooping down over me. It made me feel nervous and uncomfortable. This continued for a few minutes. I was mad as ( Mod Removed Langage )but decided not to get into a confrontation. It’s incidents like these that cause governments to make more stringent rules and often the law abiding drone flyers suffer the consequences.

Just my 2 cents.
Chris
You prove my point that a few dumb people ruin it for the good guys...

Canada no longer will allow recreational drone operation if you're not a Canadian Citizen or permanent Resident.

On the Canada Drone Safety Website
Foreign operators
If you are a foreign operator (that is, you are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a corporation incorporated by or under federal or provincial and you want to fly in Canadian airspace), you must have an approved SFOC to fly a drone for any purpose (recreational, work or research).

You must already be allowed to use the drone for the same purpose in your home country. Include your country’s approval or authorization with your application for the SFOC.

Please note, we are currently not accepting SFOC applications from visitors to Canada looking to fly recreationally. This change does not affect foreigners requesting a SFOC for commercial purposes. This temporary restriction will be re-evaluated in January 2021. We apologize for any inconvenience.
I live in Canada. What a pile of (deleted by moderator). The Government is getting out of control.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Canada no longer will allow recreational drone operation if you're not a Canadian Citizen or permanent Resident.

On the Canada Drone Safety Website
Foreign operators
If you are a foreign operator (that is, you are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a corporation incorporated by or under federal or provincial and you want to fly in Canadian airspace), you must have an approved SFOC to fly a drone for any purpose (recreational, work or research).

You must already be allowed to use the drone for the same purpose in your home country. Include your country’s approval or authorization with your application for the SFOC.

Please note, we are currently not accepting SFOC applications from visitors to Canada looking to fly recreationally. This change does not affect foreigners requesting a SFOC for commercial purposes. This temporary restriction will be re-evaluated in January 2021. We apologize for any inconvenience.
That is disappointing. I was considering a trip up to Manatoba at some point to shoot some drone footage of the areas I once spent some time on canoe trips. Oh, well there are plenty of great places to shoot here in the US.

Well, I guess most tourists flying drones don't have to feel as left out now, as it seems Canada doesn't want ANYONE coming into the country for a while.
It certainly sounds that way sometimes. It's unfortunate because I'm from Newfoundland Canada and I would love to see all of you guys come over here and grab some beautiful drone footage. My home town. First Flight. Shot directly above my house.

Attachments

• PSX_20200311_161939.jpg
    PSX_20200311_161939.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
I would love to see all of you guys come over here and grab some beautiful drone footage.

I'd love to visit there, wilderness is my thing, skiing too, and you have an abundance of both.
What's the news on the inward travel ban to Canada ?
Does it have a time limit now, or are they just going to wait and see how this coronavirus affects places ?

Its not a definite hard stop to the border ban, its more like its open ended. Despite that, the Transport Canada rules are hard stop anyway, no non-resident drone flying until at least 2021 as stated above. So, you are most welcome here, but best not try to fly. You can catch some wilderness on my YT channel if that's any consolation! This whole situation sucks majorly.
;)

It certainly sounds that way sometimes. It's unfortunate because I'm from Newfoundland Canada and I would love to see all of you guys come over here and grab some beautiful drone footage. My home town. First Flight. Shot directly above my house.
Have a trip planned to Newfoundland this summer. Hopefully things will have settled down by then.

Chris

There is that much wilderness and places to fly here in Newfoundland and in Canada that I really don't think that you would have a hard time flying your drone and getting some great footage. As for flying it in the city you probably would have a problem.

Reactions: KrowNB
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard