DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Case or bag or sleeve

basyok

Reactions
I'm working up to buying my mini 3 pro soon, and plan to do some medium-weight multi-day hiking with it (about 20kg pack weight). So I need to keep the volume to a minimum, so no pelican cases or anything like that - probably just the drone, 1 extra battery and the controller. Has anyone tried any of these cases or sleeves? Thoughts about them?

Carrying case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B219QZX5
Controller cover: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B4SZMZFJ
Sleeves and prop holders: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B5NGHHY2

Are the sleeves and prop holders enough protection?

The controller cover looks interesting - I understand why they make it for the sticks installed, but I'd prefer it flat and install the sticks every time myself, it would be easier to slide in and out of a pack.

The carrying case(s) are surely excellent protection, but perhaps more bulk than necessary for my purpose.

I've got a controller cover for my Smart Controller — I think it's this one.

I like it, because I've nearly lost the sticks a couple of times. Haven't got one for my RC Controller yet, but I plan to because I've nearly lost the sticks to that one too.

I have one of the small carrying cases for my Mavic 2, which is really handy because it protects the drone when it's in a backpack. I don't bother when I'm using a camera backpack as the drone fits neatly into a padded spot in there.

For the Mini 3 I've been using the carrying case that came with my FlyMore kit, a camera backpack, or a small LowePro case clipped to my photographer's vest, which is big enough for the drone, controller, and a few batteries:

Last edited:
Reactions: basyok
Note that the above-mentioned PGYTECH cover is for the Smart Controller, not the Mini 3 RC controller.
But i believe that the one i linked in my OP is actually for the DJI RC - at least it looks that way in the pictures. The item name is a little confusing.

DJI has really created a confusing naming scheme for their controllers...

Reactions: Aerophile
I'm working up to buying my mini 3 pro soon, and plan to do some medium-weight multi-day hiking with it (about 20kg pack weight). So I need to keep the volume to a minimum, so no pelican cases or anything like that - probably just the drone, 1 extra battery and the controller. Has anyone tried any of these cases or sleeves? Thoughts about them?

The controller cover looks interesting - I understand why they make it for the sticks installed, but I'd prefer it flat and install the sticks every time myself, it would be easier to slide in and out of a pack.

The carrying case(s) are surely excellent protection, but perhaps more bulk than necessary for my purpose.
I'm in much the same boat. I'm waiting until at least some of the launch and production issues have been fixed before taking the plunge, but in the meantime I had a friend with a 3D printer whip this up for me.

I do most of my hiking with 35lbs of camera gear hanging off me, so I wanted something that would fit in one of the lens slots and protect the drone at the same time. Less concerned about the remote and the flymore kit as I've had the mini 2 variety living in my camera bag for over a year without issue.

Attachments

• 20220902_200022.jpg
    20220902_200022.jpg
    766.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220902_200032.jpg
    20220902_200032.jpg
    742.7 KB · Views: 16

I use a Lowepro AW BP 300 , it fits my mini 3 Pro , smart controller, canon mirrorless camera , 2 lenses, batteries in charger box flashing , water bottle, chargers, leads, and all things required for a days flying and DSLR photography, cheers Len

But i believe that the one i linked in my OP is actually for the DJI RC - at least it looks that way in the pictures. The item name is a little confusing.

DJI has really created a confusing naming scheme for their controllers...
If it fits the RC Mini 3 controller, please let us know. It would sure beat installing those fiddly screws each flight.

If it fits the RC Mini 3 controller, please let us know. It would sure beat installing those fiddly screws each flight.
I haven't tried it myself - I don't even have the drone yet, lol, but I asked on the Amazon listing, and at least one person has confirmed that it is indeed for the mini 3 pro dji rc controller. Between this and the pictures in the listing, I'm reasonably confident that it is.

Believe me, once you get the RC, you will NOT want to install those fiddly little sticks each time. I got the Fly more bundle and it comes with a case, but you have to install the sticks each time. I used to do it in the car until I had one slip out of my hand and fall between the console and the driver's seat. I was able to find and extract it, but it wasn't easy. I now install over a hard surface, but you really have to be careful. I would prefer to leave them in, but the bag isn't built to allow that.

Attachments

• 20220903_081437.jpg
    20220903_081437.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220903_081501.jpg
    20220903_081501.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220903_081553.jpg
    20220903_081553.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220903_082617.jpg
    20220903_082617.jpg
    959.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I appreciate everyone's input, but I just want to remind folks that I'm looking for the *most* compact, minimal protection I can find for my drone and controller, and my *total* weight for my hiking pack, with water and food, is about 20kg (easy water and food access where I'll be hiking, so I'm not carrying more than half a day's worth at a time).

Anyway, I'm sold on the RC cover, and think about complementing that with the sleeves and prop holder, and maybe a better gimbal cover than stock. Nobody has said anything about the sleeves - any comments on those?

I will probably get the fly more kit at some point, but for this particular trip, it's more stuff and more bag than I need.

Reactions: lensimages
Believe me, once you get the RC, you will NOT want to install those fiddly little sticks each time. I got the Fly more bundle and it comes with a case, but you have to install the sticks each time. I used to do it in the car until I had one slip out of my hand and fall between the console and the driver's seat. I was able to find and extract it, but it wasn't easy. I now install over a hard surface, but you really have to be careful. I would prefer to leave them in, but the bag isn't built to allow that.
I printed a stick guard for my RC Controller, and it fits OK in the bag that came with the Fly More kit.

I need to use a rubber band to hold it in place inside the case, but I have room for the controller (with sticks installed) and a couple of spare batteries. I want to get one that also covers the screen for a bit more protection (and also clips in without needing a rubber band).

I appreciate everyone's input, but I just want to remind folks that I'm looking for the *most* compact, minimal protection I can find for my drone and controller, and my *total* weight for my hiking pack, with water and food, is about 20kg (easy water and food access where I'll be hiking, so I'm not carrying more than half a day's worth at a time).

Anyway, I'm sold on the RC cover, and think about complementing that with the sleeves and prop holder, and maybe a better gimbal cover than stock. Nobody has said anything about the sleeves - any comments on those?

I will probably get the fly more kit at some point, but for this particular trip, it's more stuff and more bag than I need.
If you’re getting extra batteries it will come with a case in the fly more that’s fine for everything. Light and sized to hold the whole kit.

Give a look at some camera bags. These come with plenty of size for your gear and big enough for snacks and hiking gear. Check out these two YouTube channels for suggestions. Jeven Dovey and Jake Sloan. They both hike and have equipment reviews and recommendations.

You can leave the sticks on if you put it in on it's side with the sticks RH side and screen towards batteries with the padded flap protecting it.

While some flexibility (in case options) is good to have, the fly more bag can't be beat for a compact day trip pack that you hardly notice over your shoulder.
I do quite like the idea of an individual clamshell style for drone and perhaps a second one for controller when you just want them in your bag or car on the off chance of a quick flight.
However I had that arrangement with the Mavics and nearly always ended up thinking best to have at least one extra battery so may as well just grab the full flymore bag.

The Mini 3 is so small I actually took it on a 18-mile run. I put it in my Salomon running vest LOL. I would not recommend that for daily use. I just wanted to see how it felt. I was able to stop and get nice footage of ponds while I was taking a quick hydration break.

There are pockets on the front and of course a large pouch on the back. I fit the controller and mini 3 in each of the pockets in the front so I did not have to take the vest off to get to the back.

It is deceiving, but there is plenty of room. It is very stretchy and the pocket wraps around behind your kidneys, but you do access them from the front.

Salomon-Adv-Skin-Adjustability-Front.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4wd and basyok
This shows my bag next to fly more bag.

Attachments

• 20220904_081812.jpg
    20220904_081812.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics