DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Casey Neistat's review

Storyline

Reactions
I know some on here do not like the guy but imo he is a great videographer and I for one value his opinion.

To quickly sum up. He says the MP2 has outstanding image quality but actually prefers the zoom because of its functionality and it will be his go to drone.

It is the first time I have seen real footage from these two new models and imo the MP2 is clearly better than our MP's (and so it should be) but I thought the zoom looked very similar and in some of his comparison shots slightly softer. This was all unedited.

can I ask, does Casey actually do commercial work, for actual clients (not brand work) ? or does he purely have a YT channel (business)? he says MP is "stellar quality" MEH. don't agree. He has no actual photographic training, just a million lemmings? I'm sure he's very nice, he seems cool, (although at my age "cool" means you know a winemaker in Italy who has a stellar Barolo), but why on earth would you value his opinion?

Does he just fly and hope he doesn't get his collar felt by the boys in blue - as I can't see taking off in such close proximity to people falling within any "permission".

I'm not suggesting he's flying like an idiot, just trying to understand how he seems to get away with it given the high profile of the YouTube channel.

geevee a bottle of Bartenura Moscato for me :), but that's my same question.... why would you pick the Zoom over an entire new camera in the Pro with better picture quality... I must be missing something...
I know winemakers who would ban you for even uttering "moscato"... I feel the same about Proseco. But yes, thank you, not sure any real film maker would choose a zoom, EVER. I haven't succumbed to the #filmisnotdead nonsense, but I do still love my primes. Video is a new genre for me, I'm only 1 year in, have so very far to go, but I do at least know how to spot who to follow.

Reactions: aljackie
Does he just fly and hope he doesn't get his collar felt by the boys in blue - as I can't see taking off in such close proximity to people falling within any "permission".

I'm not suggesting he's flying like an idiot, just trying to understand how he seems to get away with it given the high profile of the YouTube channel.
You really have to know the guy... I've watched him for some time now along with many others and that's just his style... sometimes he's done some things that would make you shudder, but that's what gives him his ratings.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds

He was talked to by the FAA a few times. Hence the slight dig at them on that video of "we always follow the FAA rules".

Prior to that he was just an irresponsible video who made a lot of money which i guess is how the FAA became aware of his existence.

can I ask, does Casey actually do commercial work, for actual clients (not brand work) ? or does he purely have a YT channel (business)?
Both. However, it seems to me that he usually hires out drone work when doing commercial stuff.

He has no actual photographic training, just a million lemmings?
Training? He's worked for several directors in the past. He's created many commercials for well known brands and he's made hundreds of videos (many each and every day), probably over a thousand. On the side he created a software company that was sold to CNN.

but why on earth would you value his opinion?
Because he is _very_ good at what he does and has a long background using drones. There are many reviews on the Mavic 2's right now from people who simply quote the specs and show some footage. Neistat admits to not being a "reviewer". What he does instead is give you a real world opinion of a certain aspects. He basically rates the price and function.

Taking off next to people is not illegal. He's not even flying _over_ anyone. To add to that, he's got Drone Works Studios with him. They are a very high end drone video company.

Wow, did not mean to step onto your toes, i get it, you’re a fan of him.
I just think it is irresponsible to fly that close to people, especially in the place he is in (people not paying attention, little kids running around)

But hey, far be it from me to discourage someone to enjoy an entertainer, sorry if i offended you.

Reactions: Thwyllo
Wow, did not mean to step onto your toes, i get it, you’re a fan of him.
Not stepping on my toes. I am a fan but I'd call him out if I did not agree with something. Each person has their own likes and dislikes. What I like about Neistat (and other YT's that are similar) is that he always put out positive videos with a positive attitude. One of his best videos is title, "Do What You Can't". On a side note, one of the things I like about that video is when he's doing the narrative and shows film of himself saying the same things. Those are prior videos and they worked into the narrative. He adds these creative things into his videos that I like.

I would say that he's known for his time lapse and drone shots. One thing he mentioned sticks with me.... "no one cares about your time lapse or drone shots. It is so true and I think a lot of people don't understand that. It is why I keep it in my head when I'm making videos. The video (IMHO) needs to have a message. A drone shot should be used only to support that message. I'm getting a little off topic. Sorry.

I just think it is irresponsible to fly that close to people, especially in the place he is in (people not paying attention, little kids running around)
I _would_ agree that the take off is a little close to those people. However, he's talking to the guy laying down. I think it is possible that he asked this guy about taking off. I can't be sure about that but they guy certainly seems to be fine with it.

but why on earth would you value his opinion?
I sort of 'discovered' the concept of daily blogging on YouTube a couple of years ago and came across him. At that time he was posting a vlog every day and I watched them every day for more than a year. It is subjective I know but I think he is a very talented filmmaker and editor - just got the eye (again imo) Then he discovered the Mavic Pro which he loved and since he has reviewed various cameras and drones. So for me at least he has earned respect. I don't always agree with all he says but one of his oft quoted opinions is that the hardware comes a very distant second to getting good content. That is one reason I won't be chasing ever improving quality and getting a MP2 until I have got to grips with my MP and learned how to edit video to a reasonable level.

Reactions: Smdm
Quite releived to see I am not the only one who rates his work - the last time I mentioned him there were mainly critics and I was starting to question my own judgement - well not really ;)

I think there may be quite a few on here who got into flying drones with the Mavic but I was lucky enough to get one of the first Phantoms and although not many years ago the climate around drones was completely different. I used to go to a local park take off and fly round some of the statues. Within minutes there would usually be a good few people, all very friendly and wanting to know more. It was all so new and there were no real rules or etiquette - I just used to make sure I flew safely. I think Casey also started out like this in downtown NY and just did his thing. The difference is that I soon realised the Phantom without gimbal was near useless for taking decent video and I was busy at work and sold it - Casey carried on while drones got an increasingly bad image and until he got a bad rep. Now, when I got my Mavic after a long gap I would never dream to take it to that park , in fact I am not even sure I am allowed to.

with all the damage he has done to the reputation of the Drone community as a whole by his BS antics (possibly illegal and enough to get the FAA's attention) I can't believe DJI gave him a M2 to review.

I'm sure it was properly registered, marked with the registration number and stuff.

Anyone see registration numbers on that drone?

IMG_8710.gif

Reactions: Mavic 57
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samdesign