DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charge after a flight or before the next?

I charge one of my batteries at the end of the day after flying and another a couple days after . Self discharge is set to 5 days . I keep the Mavic in the truck in case I see something interesting or just want to fly after work etc . If I don't have a charged battery then it's useless to me . This way I have a couple batteries charged for a few days and at least one over a weeks time but I don't think they have ever been allowed to self discharge .
Are you not worried about the heat build up in your truck during the day. Temp climbs pretty fast.
Also if a person sees a dog in a truck with the windows rolled up on a hot day they are just likley to smash window and I am positive of some people see a poor mavic in your truck and nobody around they might smash window and set it free or take it to a good caring home.

Batteries should be stored within the storage level. See more details here.

Good info, thanks. And thanks to everyone else for replies, too.

If I'm reading the manual right (page 27), the self discharge starts after the "days to discharge" timer is up, so if you have it set to 2 days, the battery will sit at 100% for 48 hours and then start to discharge, taking about 2 more days to drop to 65%. Anyone read that in a different way?

Good info, thanks. And thanks to everyone else for replies, too.

If I'm reading the manual right (page 27), the self discharge starts after the "days to discharge" timer is up, so if you have it set to 2 days, the battery will sit at 100% for 48 hours and then start to discharge, taking about 2 more days to drop to 65%. Anyone read that in a different way?
You've got that right - the days to discharge setting is when the discharge process begins, it then takes a further couple of days to reach 65% if it started at 100%

Reactions: Merlin83b
I've been using lipos since they first came out for R/C use. I learned a few lessons the hard way in the beginning. When it comes to the "smart" batteries from DJI, it makes care a little easier since if you store them fully charge they will discharge to storage levels after "n" number of days. Personally, I wouldn't let the batteries do that on their own as it probably generates some heat.

Personally, I fly my batteries to that 30% mark then charge them so that the 3rd light starts flashing and thats how I store them... I do the same for my P4 and did the same for my Inspire with no issues...

How is 'storage' defined here? I mean, if you have 3 batteries, fully charged for play, you only use 2 of them and for whatever reason don't get to the 3rd one... is it safe to leave it full until the next day? Storing them at 50% is mainly for 'long term' storage... like a week or more... no?
I have 3 batteries labeled A,B,C, pretty original, I rotate through all three in order, so when time for a new battery, A is replaced by B, and so on. I try to spread the wear and tear across the collection. And I tend to charge up post-flight.

I have 3 batteries labeled A,B,C, pretty original, I rotate through all three in order, so when time for a new battery, A is replaced by B, and so on. I try to spread the wear and tear across the collection. And I tend to charge up post-flight.

This is how I've been playin' it. Well. except I was a bit more original and labeled mine 1,2,&3.. lol
Although I have been recharging the 'night before'. Which, as Mother Nature decided to show me today, is not always a good idea. I did purchase that purdy blue all in one charger. So it only takes about an hour(+) to top everything off. I think I'll get in the habit of just charging before hand and try having a bit more patience before being cleared for takeoff.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf