DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cheap Remote ID Modules & the HACKS to make them INVISIBLE

That's Sheriff Buford T. Justice right there, that is
I thought so too, but I think that Hollywood views all County Sheriffs a certain way and this actor and Jacky Gleason have a lot in common with Hollywood's perception. This screen dump is from a 1970 Dodge Challenger RT commercial and the Smokey and the Bandit Films did not come out until 1977…

I love the line, "What we have here, is a failure to communicate!" from Smokey and the Bandit

And if you've read the other postings under this topic, some of us still have a failure to communicate… L 😁 L…

An "eyeball" is not certified, nor calibrated to issue a speeding ticket, maybe enough to stop you and get you on something else, but not speeding.
It certainly is in some states. My brother was a county Sheriff in Utah, they'd pace cars, or just eyeball them. They'd knew if you went from point A (say a light post) to point B (another landmark) in under XX seconds, you had to be speeding. If the front of an ocoming car suddenly dipped from braking, they'd turn around and pace them.

"Yes, an officer can write you a speeding ticket based upon his observation alone. The prosecution has to prove that the officer has sufficient “expertise” to determine whether the car was going in excess of the speed limit. Generally, the officer will testify that: He has been a police officer for more than 5 years."

Reactions: mavic3usa
I thought so too, but I think that Hollywood views all County Sheriffs a certain way and this actor and Jacky Gleason have a lot in common with Hollywood's perception. This screen dump is from a 1970 Dodge Challenger RT commercial and the Smokey and the Bandit Films did not come out until 1977…
Doesn't matter... ANY sheriff of a county with no town bigger than a few thousand is Sheriff Buford T Justice... 🤣🤣

buford-t-justice-smokey-and-the-bandit.gif

Reactions: LoudThunder
It certainly is in some states. My brother was a county Sheriff in Utah, they'd pace cars, or just eyeball them. They'd knew if you went from point A (say a light post) to point B (another landmark) in under XX seconds, you had to be speeding. If the front of an ocoming car suddenly dipped from braking, they'd turn around and pace them.

"Yes, an officer can write you a speeding ticket based upon his observation alone. The prosecution has to prove that the officer has sufficient “expertise” to determine whether the car was going in excess of the speed limit. Generally, the officer will testify that: He has been a police officer for more than 5 years."
I think it's worth repeating that the police don't have to know your exact speed in order to ticket you for speeding; they can just say you were going too fast for conditions. There is a statute in most places that say the motorist shall not go too fast for conditions and the police can use their "eyeballs" to stop you and ticket you for going too fast for conditions; they don't need to clock you with a device to determine you are going too fast. Anyone can debate and challenge in court but the fact remains and ultimately, you win some you lose some when it comes to being ticketed this way.

And then there's the real world.

We simply do not have the law enforcement and criminal justice resources to handle the caseload that would result from routine ticketing based on an officer's simple self-estimation.

That's why it never happens to any meaningful degree, and when it does it will likely be challenged. Then the officer must appear in court, which is hardly guaranteed, given the infraction involved.

We simply have much, much better things to spend our LE resources on. While important for you all discussing this to be right about how many angels can dance on the head if a pin, it's utterly meaningless to the real world.

We simply do not have the law enforcement and criminal justice resources to handle the caseload that would result from routine ticketing based on an officer's simple self-estimation.

That's why it never happens to any meaningful degree, and when it does it will likely be challenged. Then the officer must appear in court, which is hardly guaranteed, given the infraction involved.

We simply have much, much better things to spend our LE resources on. While important for you all discussing this to be right about how many angels can dance on the head if a pin, it's utterly meaningless to the real world.
I've made room on the pin head for you to join the dance....
Washington still hands out tickets without radar documentation.

In a contested hearing the court will rely on the officer's written statement instead of the Officer's live testimony. This means that the officer does not have to show up for court in Washington State unless you issue a subpoena for the officer to be there.
  1. Cops don’t typically show up at these court appearances because they don’t have any input about the case. If a cop issues you a citation, their job is done once the ticket has been written and delivered—they do not get involved with the court process except in extreme cases such as hit-and-run driving or drunk driving charges.

• Wow

I really wish that were the case. I wish the law enforcement resources were so thin that we didn't have time for the nonsense. Yet here we are:

• Wow
Here is Virginia, the officer is paid overtime to appear in court and those cases are scheduled on those days the officer is scheduled to appear. If the officer has a "bonifide reason" (court's discretion…) for missing the court date, the case is continued until the next scheduled appearance. If the officer has no valid excuse, the case is dismissed and here in Virginia, they are dismissed…

Reactions: Torque

I love the line, "What we have here, is a failure to communicate!" from Smokey and the Bandit

And if you've read the other postings under this topic, some of us still have a failure to communicate… L 😁 L…
That was cool hand luke.

That was cool hand luke.
I know it was spoken the first time in Cool Hand Luke, but I thought it was repeated in Smokey and the Bandit. I 've seen various photos of Buford T. with those words and the brain just thought it was said there also… Mia Culpa… or in the vernacular of "Smokey" -- My Bad…

I know it was spoken the first time in Cool Hand Luke, but I thought it was repeated in Smokey and the Bandit. I 've seen various photos of Buford T. with those words and the brain just thought it was said there also… Mia Culpa… or in the vernacular of "Smokey" -- My Bad…
The line I remember goes something like:

You know what we have here, Junior?

A total lack of respect for law and order.

And then there's Sheriff Wallace from one of the worst, stupidest movies ever...

MV5BMTc4NTQxMzA1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTEwNzEzNA@@._V1_.jpg

"This here's the Rubber Ducky..."

Funny song though!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midlifecrisis77