DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Check your propellers

pscott

Reactions
Check your props after a mishap!

I noticed one prop didn't spin as free as the others and it turns out 1 of the 3 tabs which hold the prop on was broken. It could jammed the motor or lost the prop entirely in flight [emoji25]

It's happened to other guys.

2c320b741c4f41fa9ba96154d4bac0c0.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MavicPilots mobile app

I should have read this before. Lost front left prop today. Made a short check start close to the woods and landed again. The prop went off just before turning down the engine, flew way up in the air and came back after a while. As I could not find the proplem I snatched it back on again. When turning to Litchi thank heavens the RC said that I forgot to turn multiple mode on, so I landed to get it done. Same again, before turning down the engine the prop flew way up in the air, landed probably on a tree. As I could not find the lost prop I cannot tell wether there was a broken tab or not, but I am pretty sure there was.

Most say to check the props for chips or cracks in the blades. It looks like I will also check the lugs that are on the prop hub,that lock the prop onto the motor!

It might be overkill, but I always take off and inspect them prior to every flight. If this plastic propeller is the only thing stopping my bird falling from the sky, then they are treated like royalty.
Overkill... If you take them on and off, there is a chance if mis-installing or breaking the tabs.
You should check them if you have crashed or dropped or misshandled your Mavic.
And then on every 30th flight/ or beginning of month, just do a general check over of the mavic and look for any defects.

Reactions: bonzo and dewster
Hi,
I always detach the propellers when I don't use the drone for a long time to avoid leaving springs and tabs overloaded.

Reactions: mph300
In the meantime I have tried several propellers. The problem is always on left front. I can see that when the prop is fixed the surface is uneven, only on left front. I cannot see a difference on the springs when unmounted. However, the MP tilted sideways on the landing before that all started. P9270011.jpgP9270015.jpg

In the meantime I have tried several propellers. The problem is always on left front. I can see that when the prop is fixed the surface is uneven, only on left front. I cannot see a difference on the springs when unmounted. However, the MP tilted sideways on the landing before that all started. View attachment 22386View attachment 22387
I would look (if you already haven't?) at the slots the lugs fit into. There may be something in there causing the misalignment? Or remove or check the top mounting plate,and screws. Did you crash it,when it "tilted sideways" while landing? There may be a small piece of the propeller lug inside the adapter plate?

Last edited:
Do the missing tab of the broken propeller has fallen inside the motor maybe?
My thought too. I have a lug brake off once, and it was a devil getting it out of the motor area and I didn't noticed the lug at first and tried putting a new prop on, but could get is seated right, then started looking around for the problem. And one of the props had a broken lug even though it was seated in the other two spots. Of course this all happened because of a crash. I backed into the house while it was out of my line of sight.

It might be overkill, but I always take off and inspect them prior to every flight. If this plastic propeller is the only thing stopping my bird falling from the sky, then they are treated like royalty.

Just like tires on a car.

This makes sense after any collision or prop strike. Those three tabs are the only thing keeping your props on. I think you'll get an excessive vibration warning if in danger of losing one (shortly followed by a crash lol).

I want to know what the expected lifespan of the props are without prop strikes or collisions.

I had this same issue! If you check my recent post I actually had a leg broken inside, luckily I never had it crash, it would just refuse for me to insert a new blade

Reactions: FlyingDeveloper
So, a related question: If a prop comes off during flight, what happens (other than an imminent crash). Does the MP, taking into account the direction and speed at the time, fall straight down? Does the IMU try to compensate for the lost prop by managing the speed of the other three props and if so, does the MP "fly off" in a "non-perpendicular" direction before crashing? Does altitude factor into where the MP will crash (higher means a bigger envelop within which to crash)?

Sorry for the crazy questions...trying to decide how to mitigate the risk of flying over people...and whether to try for a waiver.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky