DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Checking in from Montreal area

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Reactions: EricM
Welcome to DronePilots newest forum :)

just ordered a MP, will be reading a tone while waiting for it.

You're in Blainville? I'm in Lorraine, neighbour!

While waiting for the MP I read the manual (printed it out) about 3 times cover to cover - high-lighter in hand. There are a lot of good videos out there too to get you started well.

I suggest that you make a checklist, start in "Beginner mode" until you've mastered the basics.

Also note that MUCH of Blainville is restricted airspace from the surface to 1300 feet ASL and legally requires permission from Mirabel (CYMX) and Bell helicopters to fly a drone there. (CYR601, CYR624). (p. 6).

(Also since Bell is a heliport, then under Canadian law you have to operate more than 5 NM from its edges. That encompasses all of Blainville).

You're in Blainville? I'm in Lorraine, neighbour!

While waiting for the MP I read the manual (printed it out) about 3 times cover to cover - high-lighter in hand. There are a lot of good videos out there too to get you started well.

I suggest that you make a checklist, start in "Beginner mode" until you've mastered the basics.

Also note that MUCH of Blainville is restricted airspace from the surface to 1300 feet ASL and legally requires permission from Mirabel (CYMX) and Bell helicopters to fly a drone there. (CYR601, CYR624). (p. 6).

(Also since Bell is a heliport, then under Canadian law you have to operate more than 5 NM from its edges. That encompasses all of Blainville).

Tanks for the warm welcome.

Did download the PDF and will read it more than once.

I am new to the drone world, only experience is indoors with a 40$ Canadian tire craft, so beginner mode will be what I will be flying for a while.

So if I read you correctly, I need to stay below 1300 feet in Blainville? Don't plan to use this much around home but more on motorcycle trips.

Tanks for the warm welcome.

Did download the PDF and will read it more than once.

I am new to the drone world, only experience is indoors with a 40$ Canadian tire craft, so beginner mode will be what I will be flying for a while.

So if I read you correctly, I need to stay below 1300 feet in Blainville? Don't plan to use this much around home but more on motorcycle trips.

Not at all. You legally cannot fly a drone in Blainville. Period.

1. CYR601 and 624 are from the surface to 1300 ASL (about 1100 from the ground). You cannot fly there w/o the permission of YMX and Bell.
2. Bell helicopter's plant qualifies as an aerodrome (caveat, it's not "marked" as such on the Montreal VNC chart.) and the 5 NM (9.2 km) radius encompasses Blainville.

I'm not telling you what to do, just that where you are is a sucky area to have a drone. If you happened to keep it below 300' above ground I doubt you would get into trouble (set this limit in DJI GO). But - you would not be legal per Canadian rules in place at present.

You're better off on your motorcycle trips.

An easy access area I fly around where I'm legal is just off the Urbanova exit on the 640. I stay at or below 91 m and mostly in line of sight. There's a herd of deer in there too. Also the Lorraine golf course - at least until it opens for golf or until Marina Venise begins float operations in the spring.

The rules are there and we can't do much about them. As people buy these drones, ignorant about the rules, they will cause more curiosity from the public, police, media, politicians and so on. So flying smart is better for everyone. I'm not saying I'm perfect in my rule compliance, but I go out of my way to be mostly so!

Also what is permitted in the US is often not permitted in Canada (see the link I sent you earlier).

If you want to meet up at Lorraine golf course or off the Urbanova exit at 16:00 it would be my pleasure to demo the drone to you.

Thanks, will get familiar with the App and set the 300ft limit when around home.

Will gladly take you up on the demo offer, am off work on sick leave at the moment so pretty flexible just let me know when convenient for you.

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for
current developments in Mavic quadcopter’s. Read the manual a few times and watch lots of Youtube videos on the subject to give yourself a good start.
Enjoy! Thumbswayup

Hey I'll be in Montreal for the next few months, originally from the GTA. Hit me up to go flying, hopefully when the weather improves.

-Paul Wilson

Hey I'll be in Montreal for the next few months, originally from the GTA. Hit me up to go flying, hopefully when the weather improves.

-Paul Wilson

I'll try to remember Paul! My MP is off for repair. I might buy a P4P in the meantime. Just need to get itchy enough...

Reactions: PWILS
Enjoy your stay! There's plenty of great info on the forums.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe