DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Choppy and unusable video

ManchesterMavic

Reactions
Hi all, I am looking for some in depth and instructional advice on post production and editing.
I am using a 2017 MacBook Pro - RAM 8GB, 128GB SSD, i5 processor, Retina display. Machine is new and up to date with all latest software downloaded. I must add, there are no other apps, music, using up memory or taxing the machine in anyway as this computer is dedicated for projects only.
I am using an SD to USBc adapter/dongle and dragging my footage onto the desktop and each clip plays as I would hope for with no issues. Each clip is at most 1-2 minutes long, as I hit record and get the desired footage a few times and then choose the best shots and use that.(I am shooting in 2.7k @30fps shooting fully manual in Dlog or Dcinelike.)
I start a new project in IMovie and go through the long tedious process of prioritising each clip, splitting, adding music and transitioning where required and everything still plays back flawlessly, problems start the minute I try and colour correct any of my footage. As soon as I touch any of the colour correction features in the upper right hand corner, the play back is extremely choppy and unusable and looks like there is several frames at a time being skipped. have tried using iMovie’s auto corrections and I have tried tweaking and adjusting myself. I have tried correcting each clip individually and tried correcting the full project in one hit once completed. My videos consist of maybe a upto a dozen clips with one song playing along side lasting for upto 2-3 minutes. I am shooting landscapes/outdoors only at a very modest speed as I am trying to achieve cinematic footage. The scale of my work is very basic and this set up should be more than suitable. I am planning on moving over to Final Cut in the near future but a little apprehensive until I can get to the bottom of this.
Sorry for the long, drawn out post but I wanted to give you all the details hoping one of you experts out there Can pinpoint something I am doing wrong or something I need to start doing.
Could somebody with a similar set up please explain what they feel the problem may be or alternatively could you give me a different step by step process to achieve the same result.
Any helpful and constructive advice is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Dean.

You will find limitations/stuttering using a MBP vs an iMac or desktop equivalent. But this does not mean the final output will stutter. The processor/GPU can only handle so much on a MBP. What happens when you export your clip to QT @1080p and play it? Good or choppy?

While your MacBook Pro is recent 8gb is really tiny by today’s standards for serious memory hogging apps that need to cache larger amount of data such as video, can you upgrade the memory to 16 or 24gb?

Reactions: rautej1

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky