DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Class G airspace and Class E

"I see," said the blind man. Well, I'm very proud of you for the path you've chosen. I've worked with the Sea Cadets before in Norfolk, Virginia and Naval Air Station Oceana in Virginia Beach. BZ to you for getting out in front of others who will choose to serve. That demonstrates initiative and a willingness to lead. Just don't get too far out in front of yourself. I don't know if you can actually refer to yourself as "a military UAS pilot" yet. There is the whole detail of earning your commission. You do understand you'll need to be an officer to fly? That's why I didn't say "enlisting". UAV pilots are actual pilots who complete most if not all of the same training manned aircraft pilots complete. That includes having a college degree, which I'm positive you are aggressively formulating a strategy for ; ) The caveat to that might be Warrant Officer. It's possible you could enlist then go Warrant and fly. The army lets Warrant Officers fly helicopters so I honestly don't know if other branches let WOs fly UAVs. I'm sure your Master Chief or Senior Chief or whoever is in charge of your Sea Cadet unit will have these answers or know where to find them. In the mean-time, since you are a Sea Cadet, you must know the Navy's core values of Honor, Courage and Commitment, right? Be careful about how you portray yourself because 1 "awe-sh#t" nullifies 99 "attaboys". Fair winds and following seas MA Drone Pilot.
i understand what you're saying. I'm a petty officer 2nd class/LPO of my unit. My apologies for claiming title of military uas pilot, sir. I just didn't want to go into too much explaining of my actual title.

Reactions: RBacio
The army lets Warrant Officers fly helicopters so I honestly don't know if other branches let WOs fly UAVs.
Enlisted and NCOs are UAV pilots, sensor operators and maintainers in the US Army and Marine Corps. And you beat me to the clarification on Sea Cadets. As for his BUQ-1 training, nothing special about that. The curriculum is freely available on the web. It's great that the Navy provides that training to the cadets. The summary is:

BUQ-I is the DoD minimum recommended training level for UASC (UAS crew) who perform duties other than pilot (e.g. Aircraft Operator/Sensor Operator). Possess required aviation knowledge and UAS knowledge-based skills to fly under Visual Flight Rules (VFR) in Class E, G, and restricted/ combat airspace <1200’ above ground level (AGL). Group 1 UAVs typically weigh less than 20 lbs.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure