DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Class G airspace and Class E

Hobby has NO allowance for flight over 400' AGL what so ever right now. 400'AGL is a hard limit.
I believe you can exceed 400’ agl within 50’ of a building.

I believe you can exceed 400’ agl within 50’ of a building.
NOT as a Hobbyist... there is absolutely not "current" allowance to exceed 400'AGL. 400'AGL is an absolute for hobby/recreational flight.

Here is an excellent break down taken directly from the FAA:

You're not allowed to fly over 400 feet AGL, so airspace at 1200 AGL wouldn't be an issue. While you don't need permission to fly in Class E airspace, you do need permission to fly in Class E Surface.
Huh? Class E is controlled airspace and would require authorization IF you were inspecting a structure like a cell tower for instance.

Not confused at all and the video you referenced makes my point around 30 seconds in. All my training said the same as well. Class E does require authorization whenever you’re actually in it not below it of course. Let’s be clear you also need a reason to be at that altitude not just there flying for the heck of it.

Let’s be clear you also need a reason to be at that altitude not just there flying for the heck of it.
Exactly. And if you were inspecting a typical cell tower (commercially of course), you likely wouldn't be flying anywhere near Class E airspace.

Agree to disagree. There are plenty of structures where I live greater than 700’ AGL in Class E. Mute point I guess.

This sounds a bit fishy to me!
The poster has been a forum member since what Oct 2018 and is assumed to be a drone owner. Now first as a military retiree I wish to thank you for your service to your country! These forums have all but killed the subject on height limits imposed by the FAA on Hobbyist and Commercial pilots in the US. This subject rises about once a week on the forum. Yes, the federal government has differing limitations on military/governmental drone programs than what is imposed upon the civilian population. It is wonderful that you are in a drone program with the government. You will most likely strive to seek all the knowledge you possibly can concerning the particular drone you would pilot or assist with! If you even have a personal drone, then it is assumed you have it registered with the FAA and are quite knowledgeable of the particular rules and regulations for your particular piloting category, meaning 107 or hobby. You would also know that just because you work with governmental drones, does not mean you can fly a personal drone as if it were a governmental drone. Plain and simple, clear as day and night!

Branch?
Rank?
Rate/Mos/Specialty?
Just curious

Reactions: Ex Coelis
This sounds a bit fishy to me!
The poster has been a forum member since what Oct 2018 and is assumed to be a drone owner. Now first as a military retiree I wish to thank you for your service to your country! These forums have all but killed the subject on height limits imposed by the FAA on Hobbyist and Commercial pilots in the US. This subject rises about once a week on the forum. Yes, the federal government has differing limitations on military/governmental drone programs than what is imposed upon the civilian population. It is wonderful that you are in a drone program with the government. You will most likely strive to seek all the knowledge you possibly can concerning the particular drone you would pilot or assist with! If you even have a personal drone, then it is assumed you have it registered with the FAA and are quite knowledgeable of the particular rules and regulations for your particular piloting category, meaning 107 or hobby. You would also know that just because you work with governmental drones, does not mean you can fly a personal drone as if it were a governmental drone. Plain and simple, clear as day and night!
Yeah, something is afoot at the circle K. As a military retiree, I've never met another service member that demanded respect for their service. Further, after 20 years in the aviation community, I never saw a 17 year old pilot of anything but a mop bucket. Not saying they don't exist but that would be the fast-track from hell. I'm "standing by" with the BS flag. I'm feeling like I might need to hoist it.

Yeah, something is afoot at the circle K. As a military retiree, I've never met another service member that demanded respect for their service. Further, after 20 years in the aviation community, I never saw a 17 year old pilot of anything but a mop bucket. Not saying they don't exist but that would be the fast-track from hell. I'm "standing by" with the BS flag. I'm feeling like I might need to hoist it.
Concur! He may be involved in a military drone program. I seriously doubt as a pilot! Maybe one day in his next enlistment. I wish him luck. And thank you for your service as well. USAF 1973-1997. Been to a few places I requested and a few that don’t exist.

Concur! He may be involved in a military drone program. I seriously doubt as a pilot! Maybe one day in his next enlistment. I wish him luck. And thank you for your service as well. USAF 1973-1997. Been to a few places I requested and a few that don’t exist.
****! You got somewhere you requested? Now I know I need to hoist the BS Flag! ; ) Thank YOU for your service and everyone else on here who served. USN 1987-2007. Been to a few places that were glad when we were gone. XD

****! You got somewhere you requested? Now I know I need to hoist the BS Flag! ; ) Thank YOU for your service and everyone else on here who served. USN 1987-2007. Been to a few places that were glad when we were gone. XD
USAF 1973-1997: Requested: 1 was to West Germany in 1975, spent 3 years by choice at a German airbase. 2 was unexpected in 1989 to ROK, met my future better half and have been extremely happy since. 3 was instructor duty at Camp Bullis, TX (developed my love of heavy weapons and high explosives there).
I’ve had a few vacation assignments as well! Offutt AFB In NE, Carswell AFB in Tx (now closed), and Bangor ANGB In ME (now closed for active duty)(2 years waiting for GE to release an OTH radar system, never did)(pulled a 30 day vacation TDY to Norway from Bangor). Spent 18 months at FE Warren AFB (no fun here) in WY working missile sites. A few TDYs to places that do not exist and I’ll never get credit for being there! Don’t care anyway! Short stints and glad I’m gone, biting flies and millions of mosquitoes and snakes, I HATE SNAKES, no place to hide from them!

Last edited:
Reactions: JSKCKNIT
USAF 1973-1997: Requested: 1 was to West Germany in 1975, spent 3 years by choice at a German airbase. 2 was unexpected in 1989 to ROK, met my future better half and have been extremely happy since. 3 was instructor duty at Camp Bullis, TX (developed my love of heavy weapons and high explosives there).
I’ve had a few vacation assignments as well! Offutt AFB In NE, Carswell AFB in Tx (now closed), and Bangor ANGB In ME (now closed for active duty)(2 years waiting for GE to release an OTH radar system, never did)(pulled a 30 day vacation TDY to Norway from Bangor). Spent 18 months at FE Warren AFB (no fun here) in WY working missile sites. A few TDYs to places that do not exist and I’ll never get credit for being there! Don’t care anyway! Short stints and glad I’m gone, biting flies and millions of mosquitoes and snakes, I HATE SNAKES, no place to hide from them!
Where in Germany? Was there for 10 years @ Spangdahlem 86 to 96 as a NAVAIDS tech and live in Maine now!

I suspect moderators might want us to move our military reunion elsewhere =D OBTW, Carswell AFB is not closed. It is now Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth. I do my Exchange shopping over there.

I'm a military cadet. I didn't want to go too much into detail about what training I received. We're sponsored by Navy and Marine Corps and also Coast Guard. US Naval Sea Cadet Corps

Last edited:
Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Right on! Good luck.

Reactions: RBacio
"I see," said the blind man. Well, I'm very proud of you for the path you've chosen. I've worked with the Sea Cadets before in Norfolk, Virginia and Naval Air Station Oceana in Virginia Beach. BZ to you for getting out in front of others who will choose to serve. That demonstrates initiative and a willingness to lead. Just don't get too far out in front of yourself. I don't know if you can actually refer to yourself as "a military UAS pilot" yet. There is the whole detail of earning your commission. You do understand you'll need to be an officer to fly? That's why I didn't say "enlisting". UAV pilots are actual pilots who complete most if not all of the same training manned aircraft pilots complete. That includes having a college degree, which I'm positive you are aggressively formulating a strategy for ; ) The caveat to that might be Warrant Officer. It's possible you could enlist then go Warrant and fly. The army lets Warrant Officers fly helicopters so I honestly don't know if other branches let WOs fly UAVs. I'm sure your Master Chief or Senior Chief or whoever is in charge of your Sea Cadet unit will have these answers or know where to find them. In the mean-time, since you are a Sea Cadet, you must know the Navy's core values of Honor, Courage and Commitment, right? Be careful about how you portray yourself because 1 "awe-sh#t" nullifies 99 "attaboys". Fair winds and following seas MA Drone Pilot.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki