DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Close Call with Helicopter

Status
Not open for further replies.

freeskier989

Reactions
Was out shooting last Friday and i notice when going through the footage there was a helicopter shadow pass right over me... as it was a yacht race, there was a heli with pontoons that was flying as close as 10 feet to the water, and even landed in the ocean. Not sure if this low flying is completely legal, but i had to constantly keep an eye out for this thing. You can see the fly over shadow and the heli itself in the following shot in the video:

Was out shooting last Friday and i notice when going through the footage there was a helicopter shadow pass right over me... as it was a yacht race, there was a heli with pontoons that was flying as close as 10 feet to the water, and even landed in the ocean. Not sure if this low flying is completely legal, but i had to constantly keep an eye out for this thing. You can see the fly over shadow and the heli itself in the following shot in the video:

I really think you were at fault. #1. You must always yield to manned aircraft so you probably should have avoided flying in that area. #2. You were also flying over people during your flight which was another error on your part.

Hate to be a Debby Downer.

I would have landed asap if I were you. There are usually multiple helicopters filming these events, and they have right of way over drones. My friend films powerboat races, and he stays within 20 feet of the boats going 100+ mph. The last thing the helicopter pilot needs to worry about is an overenthusiastic recreational drone pilot buzzing around.

I would have landed asap if I were you. There are usually multiple helicopters filming these events, and they have right of way over drones. My friend films powerboat races, and he stays within 20 feet of the boats going 100+ mph. The last thing the helicopter pilot needs to worry about is an overenthusiastic recreational drone pilot buzzing around.

Yeah there were about a half dozen drone operators out there... many who didnt have prime visual location and prob didnt even know there was that heli around. I was flying for the race organization to capture footage, all others just recreational flyers. I did wonder if the pilot even had a thought that big event would mean many drones flying around and thus, be a potential problem for him/her.

I really think you were at fault. #1. You must always yield to manned aircraft so you probably should have avoided flying in that area. #2. You were also flying over people during your flight which was another error on your part.

Hate to be a Debby Downer.

He didn't have to yield, he was not that close. If he was close to the helo the rotor wash would of took out that drone in a second.

Yeah there were about a half dozen drone operators out there... many who didnt have prime visual location and prob didnt even know there was that heli around. I was flying for the race organization to capture footage, all others just recreational flyers. I did wonder if the pilot even had a thought that big event would mean many drones flying around and thus, be a potential problem for him/her.
This begs another question. Since you were flying "for the race organization", I have to assume you have a commerical FAA licence unlike those recreational flyers you mentioned. In any case, you would have been at fault for any collision, and you're still not supposed to be flying over crouds. Manned aircraft have right of way.

This begs another question. Since you were flying "for the race organization", I have to assume you have a commerical FAA licence unlike those recreational flyers you mentioned. In any case, you would have been at fault for any collision, and you're still not supposed to be flying over crouds. Manned aircraft have right of way.
Actually, if he is flying commercially, he can apply for and get a waiver to fly there, even if over people. I don't know the exact procedure for getting equal rights regarding right of way, but the FAA says that a waiver can be gotten for that also.

Also begs the question, if he was flying for the race organization, then what was the helicopter doing there below 500 feet?

If he was flying for the race organizers then he should have a FAA commercial license (which was stated above) and he should know that he needs (or needed) a visual observer who would have informed him about the helicopter(s). Even if he had a waiver to fly over crowds, this would not alleviate the need for the visual observer.

Reactions: Cookedinlh
Manned helicopters can legally fly at any altitude, and may hover and land in unusual locations. This is what they are designed for. Not that it matters. Drones are required by FAA rules to yield to all manned aircraft, even those that are flying illegally.

Not to pick on you - good video like that takes talent and determination, congratulations, and I mean that!

Regardless, flying is a very unforgiving craft and you are caring enough to realize that you took some risks that were not by the book. Congratulations for that, as well.

Each of us is the PIC, like it or not, and will always be responsible for any and all safety issues surrounding every flight.

AI don't know the exact procedure for getting equal rights regarding right of way, but the FAA says that a waiver can be gotten for that also.

Really?!? You're saying that there's some way I can get something from the FAA that says that manned aircraft must yield to my drone? I find that extremely difficult to believe.

wow.... I mean mate, is just common sense, if a heli is in the area land immediately. Yes it sucks but lives are at stake mate.

Reactions: Andrew F
Really?!? You're saying that there's some way I can get something from the FAA that says that manned aircraft must yield to my drone? I find that extremely difficult to believe.
If you are a part 107 licensed pilot, FAA waivers are required when flying outside the set parameters. For example, to fly at night, a waiver can be obtained. To fly over people, such as sanctioned events, waivers can be obtained. I don't know about right of way waivers, except to say that it says it's available on the FAA website. I too would find it hard to believe that can be done, but maybe at altitudes below a certain level, there may be a coordination involved or a whoever was there first condition? I'm not a 107 pilot so I really don't know. As I replied above, I do know that waivers have been obtained for flying over people.

Is it just me or are the colors terrible in that video?? I sure hope my mavic doesn't take washed out video like that....

Is it just me or are the colors terrible in that video?? I sure hope my mavic doesn't take washed out video like that....
The track kind of kills me.

But yeah, that looks like the kind of image response many of us have been seeing from shooting with negative sharpness settings in 4k mode and possibly in Log style setting. A lot of my early footage resembles this or worse.

Reactions: Budmancan
The track kind of kills me.

But yeah, that looks like the kind of image response many of us have been seeing from shooting with negative sharpness settings in 4k mode and possibly in Log style setting. A lot of my early footage resembles this or worse.

I'm sure I missed a post, what'd you do to fix it?

I'm sure I missed a post, what'd you do to fix it?
Manual everything. 2.7k. Style:Cine/none. Plus 1 sharpness. 0 or minus 1 contrast/saturation.
The internal Mavic N.R is a clarity killer.

It looks hazy and the colors a bit undersaturated, but not the watercolor effect due to NR compression/sharpness setting. It just looks like quickly edited footage, rather than a settings problem IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan