DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Club 3-Mile

Video started pixellating at furthest distance. Remote signal seemed fine. It was slightly hilly and I was flying at 120m but went down to about 80m I think. Battery stayed above 50%

So the flight recorded, just not to your profile flight data?

Any tips on finding your drone if it doesn't make it back?

It's time for a club that gives a little recognition to those that accomplish the 3 mile task. Yes there are Mav Pilots that have flown much further, but 3 miles is a distance that can be flown with the stock battery in place.

Earlier this week I finally had weather that made for good flying. Prior to this I had issues with the app & firmware combo. I installed a combo I felt good about but my attempt at setting a new personal distance record was going to take place with no pre testing.

I flew the flight and up to the turn around point, it was awesome! Just as soon as it finished rotating, it took a turn for the worse. 1st thing it began dropping both signals which lead into total loss of video completely. I wasn't worried as it was coming by RTH. I noticed the gps satellite reception was in super great shape at 20. Something that surprised me a lot was the headwind at turn around. At ground level there was no wind, at 800ft it must have been 10-15mph as the aircraft was into a -24 flight pitch and some 15mph slower. The norm for the RTH speed is around 22mph where because of headwind it was then at 15mph. Right away I went into lowering the altitude at a steady rate. The goal was to reduce altitude in hopes of less headwind. I managed to reach the halfway back home point and the video restored. Shortly after this however, 400ft from reaching home point I got jacked by the Critical Battery...and the decent downward was under way. This was totally new to me as I had never experienced a critical battery decent. As soon as I saw there was no chance of increasing altitude, my fingers started going everywhere on the controller sticks. And then....about 5 seconds later it began to rain. No doubt an event I wont be forgetting anytime soon.

What app are you in I'm a little new at this doesn't look like my go4 screen ?

Didn't know about that. How does it work?

Start the app and open to the start page. It should say either "ENTER DEVICE" or "GO FLY". Do not select those options! Go to upper right corner of the page and select the 3 bars. You will see the feature referred to as "Find My Drone". If you are not already, connect to WiFi and it will display the last GPS location until battery expired.

What app are you in I'm a little new at this doesn't look like my go4 screen ?

You are correct, its not the GO4 app. This is video from the flight with a screen overlay of data and gauges created and everything is sync'd.

I'm so confused. 3 miles is achieved by many on the Mavic leaderboard.

The dash ware is cool. I can see why you didn't make it back... example- looks like RTH was used to come back? I see little stick inputs on the way home.

Bad weather

Bad planning.

This Drone with the right conditions should eat 3 miles pretty easily or at least from what I've seen.

Reactions: Gary cato
I don't have too many flat areas since I am in the mountains. So I always have to go vertical to get significant distance. Here's my longest from launch record which isn't much but I also had to get up to the ceiling of 1640' to avoid running into mountains.
9c4377e3199c901dbd88b5b849514064.jpg

i do 2.5 miles on a regular basis and 3 miles which is 5 kilos should be easily achievable (maybe not so easy in Europe)

i was still left with 3 to 4 bars at 4.5 kilos out in Thailand over water.

Longest flight in UK mainly due to area i have was 3 kilos but in Thailand 3 miles is easy from any beach

i take no notice of my small 4.5 kilos after seeing stock Ac here do 7 kilos

I don't have too many flat areas since I am in the mountains. So I always have to go vertical to get significant distance. Here's my longest from launch record which isn't much but I also had to get up to the ceiling of 1640' to avoid running into mountains.
9c4377e3199c901dbd88b5b849514064.jpg
****, you've exceed RTH safety margins.

This is common when flying this type of mission... coming back involves significant altitude drop, which uses way less energy and ultimately RTH margins are returned to positive numbers.

Good point, did your mavic return home safely?

Absolutely. I flew back in Sport Mode in a straight line and I got back with 23% battery life left. I have noticed that the RTH limit is VERY conservative for me. This could perhaps be because the vast majority of my flying is with severe elevation changes given the nature of the area I fly in.

Here is mine. Fully stock (second day with my second Mavic). 6811 meter, 4,24 mile or 22,331ft.

Just to clarify what we pay attention to is.....The Farthest Distance from Home Point. Your Flight can be many miles overall, its part in which the AirCraft is its Farthest point. In the video I posted, I flew the aircraft straight out 3.2 miles and turned around. None of the return trip counted.

The reason I put together a 3 Mile Club was because it can be achieved by most using their stock oem battery. In this case more would be interested in finding out what they need to do to attempt such a flight with their own aircraft. It took me 6-7 flights before I made it past 2.7miles. That was based on flying with Smart RTH and Not cancelling to fly any further. My remaining battery power when landing was always between 28%-32%. Because of windy weather, I have not been able to fly since May 29th.

It's time for a club that gives a little recognition to those that accomplish the 3 mile task. Yes there are Mav Pilots that have flown much further, but 3 miles is a distance that can be flown with the stock battery in place.

Earlier this week I finally had weather that made for good flying. Prior to this I had issues with the app & firmware combo. I installed a combo I felt good about but my attempt at setting a new personal distance record was going to take place with no pre testing.

I flew the flight and up to the turn around point, it was awesome! Just as soon as it finished rotating, it took a turn for the worse. 1st thing it began dropping both signals which lead into total loss of video completely. I wasn't worried as it was coming by RTH. I noticed the gps satellite reception was in super great shape at 20. Something that surprised me a lot was the headwind at turn around. At ground level there was no wind, at 800ft it must have been 10-15mph as the aircraft was into a -24 flight pitch and some 15mph slower. The norm for the RTH speed is around 22mph where because of headwind it was then at 15mph. Right away I went into lowering the altitude at a steady rate. The goal was to reduce altitude in hopes of less headwind. I managed to reach the halfway back home point and the video restored. Shortly after this however, 400ft from reaching home point I got jacked by the Critical Battery...and the decent downward was under way. This was totally new to me as I had never experienced a critical battery decent. As soon as I saw there was no chance of increasing altitude, my fingers started going everywhere on the controller sticks. And then....about 5 seconds later it began to rain. No doubt an event I wont be forgetting anytime soon.

Which app is that that you were using? I like the speed displays

Reactions: Cyberpower678
Just to clarify what we pay attention to is.....The Farthest Distance from Home Point. Your Flight can be many miles overall, its part in which the AirCraft is its Farthest point. In the video I posted, I flew the aircraft straight out 3.2 miles and turned around. None of the return trip counted.

The reason I put together a 3 Mile Club was because it can be achieved by most using their stock oem battery. In this case more would be interested in finding out what they need to do to attempt such a flight with their own aircraft. It took me 6-7 flights before I made it past 2.7miles. That was based on flying with Smart RTH and Not cancelling to fly any further. My remaining battery power when landing was always between 28%-32%. Because of windy weather, I have not been able to fly since May 29th.

Fair enough. Must say that I like to make movies (that is why I also have an I2 with X5S) instead of breaking unnecessary records. Have fun

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54