DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Club 3-Mile

Similar thing happened to me. I always check headwind speed now. Where did you find you on screen app?

Why would you fly against the wind for rth?

I should clarify the distance would be 3 miles away from Home Point, not 3 miles total. The flight in my video was just under 3.2 miles at the turn around.

Had I not had the headwind, I would have made it back to HP. I suppose those that get serious about distance flights might advise me to manually fly it back at full throttle, or possibly use speed mode?
W

I notice all these distances are close to sea level,. I doubt you could get 3 miles in the mountains with elevations of 9000 feet or more.

Why would you fly against the wind for rth?

W

At home point there was no wind at ground level. The wind was at 200ft with no evidence of it until reaching the turn around point.

I notice all these distances are close to sea level,. I doubt you could get 3 miles in the mountains with elevations of 9000 feet or more.

My elevation is 655ft. I also live next to valley that is 100ft lower in elevation.

It's time for a club that gives a little recognition to those that accomplish the 3 mile task. Yes there are Mav Pilots that have flown much further, but 3 miles is a distance that can be flown with the stock battery in place.

Earlier this week I finally had weather that made for good flying. Prior to this I had issues with the app & firmware combo. I installed a combo I felt good about but my attempt at setting a new personal distance record was going to take place with no pre testing.

I flew the flight and up to the turn around point, it was awesome! Just as soon as it finished rotating, it took a turn for the worse. 1st thing it began dropping both signals which lead into total loss of video completely. I wasn't worried as it was coming by RTH. I noticed the gps satellite reception was in super great shape at 20. Something that surprised me a lot was the headwind at turn around. At ground level there was no wind, at 800ft it must have been 10-15mph as the aircraft was into a -24 flight pitch and some 15mph slower. The norm for the RTH speed is around 22mph where because of headwind it was then at 15mph. Right away I went into lowering the altitude at a steady rate. The goal was to reduce altitude in hopes of less headwind. I managed to reach the halfway back home point and the video restored. Shortly after this however, 400ft from reaching home point I got jacked by the Critical Battery...and the decent downward was under way. This was totally new to me as I had never experienced a critical battery decent. As soon as I saw there was no chance of increasing altitude, my fingers started going everywhere on the controller sticks. And then....about 5 seconds later it began to rain. No doubt an event I wont be forgetting anytime soon.

You stated...at 800ft it must have been 10-15mph as the aircraft was into a -24 flight pitch and some 15mph slower. Location and or special Permission to fly above 400 ft.? I want to video from heights above 400 ft., but my understanding to so is unacceptable, dangerous and or unlawful. Flying above 400 ft. Exception?

Reactions: EJay
I managed 4km out before chickening out.....as I could notice the headwind on the return. Almost no where to land except water :(
IMG_3507.PNG But returned (in sport mode) with still 23% battery

The elevation at my launch is about 4700' and at the end of my run (in my screen shot) I was 6300'.

I might be able to test at higher elevations but not anytime soon. Too much snow.

Reactions: Flyboy1950
You stated...at 800ft it must have been 10-15mph as the aircraft was into a -24 flight pitch and some 15mph slower. Location and or special Permission to fly above 400 ft.? I want to video from heights above 400 ft., but my understanding to so is unacceptable, dangerous and or unlawful. Flying above 400 ft. Exception?

I'm not 100% sure on this, but to my knowledge Hobbyist Model AirCraft regulations are down to Not Endanger any others in the same airspace, Not Interfere with Any Manned AirCraft (they have the right away so to speak), and Report to Airports you are operating with in 5 miles to them.

As for flying above 400ft....My advice would be to know the area as much as you can before even considering the flight. If flying in line of sight, pay attention and listen for any other aircraft. Be prepared for possible just-in-case situations. Btw, anytime you fly, take the time to look at your aircraft in the sky and view the altitude height to familiarize yourself with what altitudes look like from the ground. Doing this will help when you see other aircraft, and especially if the are in route towards the area you might currently be at. In that case, think about what maneuver you need to do that you still maintain a signal.

Reactions: AFASTEATER
I get go distance at 1200 ft elv. over ground.. Now the ground is flat and very dry .
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones
this was bone stock. Mavic Pro.
Frank I think maybe push it up to at lease 4 miles. I think you have made that over the water. Any more 3 miles is a test run for me.
But as I alway have said where I fly is next to perfect. except now to **** hot. :cool:

I do not fly over any large bodies of water due to where I live. I have creeks and a river. I would have to travel 115 miles north to Lake Michigan. I would not do that either because its seriously windy in that region most all of the time.

Btw, how are you able to fly a 8 mile round trip on just the oem battery?

Reactions: EJay
3.28 from my house to the intercostal, stock everything.
bd3b04a31acebabe56caab3cc73ec8a1.jpg

c7812a959b7cf53f3ea13b0a0b118f93.jpg

I'm not 100% sure on this, but to my knowledge Hobbyist Model AirCraft regulations are down to Not Endanger any others in the same airspace, Not Interfere with Any Manned AirCraft (they have the right away so to speak), and Report to Airports you are operating with in 5 miles to them.

As for flying above 400ft....My advice would be to know the area as much as you can before even considering the flight. If flying in line of sight, pay attention and listen for any other aircraft. Be prepared for possible just-in-case situations. Btw, anytime you fly, take the time to look at your aircraft in the sky and view the altitude height to familiarize yourself with what altitudes look like from the ground. Doing this will help when you see other aircraft, and especially if the are in route towards the area you might currently be at. In that case, think about what maneuver you need to do that you still maintain a signal.

Good advice. I'm going to stay under 400 ft per F.F.A. Not worth the "what ifs."
I have app. that shows area aircraft/altitudes. I live within five mi. of airport (3.9) and next week will contact airport to communicate my flight intentions. Need to establish procedure for almost daily flights. I live in open area by river and want to launch/land from second story deck. To not be able to do so would be hard to take. I've resurched how to contact, have needed info, nevertheless
worry about outcome. Have you noticed different reactions to " I'm flying a RC airplane vs. flying a drone. Drones have a bad rap, planes are a hobby.

Pretty neat flight. Nerve racking there at the last few mins. I know that feeling all too well. Two cents: I always start my distance flights into the wind. I bet those palms were drenched in nervous sweeting until the MP was in hand. Also neat overlay frank! Please keep em coming.

I've done about 4.6km, so just shy of the 3mi club. It's over water so too scared to go beyond

Amazing to prove a technical capability. But it seems every one of you broke the law and safety sense. Not in VLOS and at least one of you went too high.
And look who rocked up, officer Raymondo from the self anointed drone police. Complete with his 7-11 acquired drone police badge. Was wondering when you'd show up

Amazing to prove a technical capability. But it seems every one of you broke the law and safety sense. Not in VLOS and at least one of you went too high.
But not one Senator or Congressman got hurt or affended well to my nowledge at lease. And in the same time how many people was killed on highways. Or killed by a hammer. Need to outlaw the highways & hammers. Pull the soapbox back in, no one wants to hear it.

It's time for a club that gives a little recognition to those that accomplish the 3 mile task. Yes there are Mav Pilots that have flown much further, but 3 miles is a distance that can be flown with the stock battery in place.

Earlier this week I finally had weather that made for good flying. Prior to this I had issues with the app & firmware combo. I installed a combo I felt good about but my attempt at setting a new personal distance record was going to take place with no pre testing.

I flew the flight and up to the turn around point, it was awesome! Just as soon as it finished rotating, it took a turn for the worse. 1st thing it began dropping both signals which lead into total loss of video completely. I wasn't worried as it was coming by RTH. I noticed the gps satellite reception was in super great shape at 20. Something that surprised me a lot was the headwind at turn around. At ground level there was no wind, at 800ft it must have been 10-15mph as the aircraft was into a -24 flight pitch and some 15mph slower. The norm for the RTH speed is around 22mph where because of headwind it was then at 15mph. Right away I went into lowering the altitude at a steady rate. The goal was to reduce altitude in hopes of less headwind. I managed to reach the halfway back home point and the video restored. Shortly after this however, 400ft from reaching home point I got jacked by the Critical Battery...and the decent downward was under way. This was totally new to me as I had never experienced a critical battery decent. As soon as I saw there was no chance of increasing altitude, my fingers started going everywhere on the controller sticks. And then....about 5 seconds later it began to rain. No doubt an event I wont be forgetting anytime soon.

How are you recoding this flight data with the overlays's ... it looks awesome !!!

Sounds like you left out the best part of the story, THE ENDING!!! You got my attention 100% but left me hanging with an Alfred Hitchcock ending. FOR GODS SAKES what happens next?!?!?!?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goadreams