DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Combination Stick Command...a bad thing?

Pause button is pure awesomeness. Heres why. Do a fairly low Sport Mode fly over at full throttle. The press the Pause button. Mavic will pitch almost vertically trying to stop on a dime. Want some ooooh's and aaaaaah's ? Thats the way to get em.
yes that is cool but can't you do the same thing by pulling back on the stick?

whatever dude I have hot chicks going ooo and ahhh and my stunt flying.

Have you tried forward downward funnels? I'll bet those hot chicks wouldn't know the difference. Maybe even sideways funnels. I can't tell what direction that thing is pointed from a 100 feet (I mean the Mavic - not you).

Advantage - no risk of CSC. (Well- I don't know about sideways.)

Last edited:
Its called a downward funnel. It is really cool looking it looks like the mav is stuck in a funnel cloud. It also works with going up(down looks cooler) . Some people here think that is too hard of a maneuver for a camera drone but it isn't it does it just fine until the stupid CSC turns her off.
No doubt that its cool.... But in 7 years of professional filming for broadcast television... Ive never EVER had to " downward FUNNEL " to get any shot worthy of using

From what I've read, the RTH button is used with a left stick down on the Phantom 4 for a mid-air motor shutdown which makes more sense since there's no way you'd be doing that otherwise.

John

Yes, it's an improvement. But IMNSHO such should not involve the control sticks at all. I know there's history here but that doesn't mean they're doomed to repeat it. Drones will evolve over the next few years like crazy. Good to leave this notion on the trash heap.

Pause button is pure awesomeness. Heres why. Do a fairly low Sport Mode fly over at full throttle. The press the Pause button. Mavic will pitch almost vertically trying to stop on a dime. Want some ooooh's and aaaaaah's ? Thats the way to get em.
I saw a guy doing this, next thing he notice there was a crack in his gimbal.
So well do it on your own risk

You could try it in the simulator. With the "CSC Maneuver" setting, the motors stop in flight. The "For use in emergencies only" setting stops motors only if it detects a "critical error" (per the manual). I've never seen any authoritative, reliable info on what the Mavic thinks is a "critical error". Only guesses and suppositions.

I have my Mavic set to "CSC Maneuver" because I want to be able to drop it out of the sky instantly if I hear and see an airplane flying below 100 feet over the beach that's 300 yards in front of my house. It's illegal as **** for pilots to fly like that there, but they do it anyway. Last month I saw a Beechcraft Bonanza flying north over the beach at about 75 feet, right as I was getting ready to fly from my deck. This guy hadn't even announced his presence on the local CTAF frequency (I carry a radio).

To me, after 3 years, CSC is the intuitive way to stop motors. No way do I want that taken away and replaced by some combination of buttons and/or sticks that you never practice, and could never possibly remember how to perform in a collision avoidance emergency.

Anyway, gixxerbill, if it wasn't for your thread last week about your crash, I probably wouldn't have checked my CSC settings. I discovered that after the firmware update, my CSC had been reset to "Emergencies only". You made a comment earlier that the settings were poorly worded. I sure agree with that. Heck, I think they are backwards. To me "CSC Maneuver" seems like the setting to let you perform maneuvers with the sticks like that.

Wouldn't "Stop motors anytime" and "Stop motors for critical error" make more sense?

Dadcat,

I'm a pilot and can tell you that it is not illegal for a plane to fly low to the water unless there are boats or swimmers. Open water, you can legally fly right down to the surface if you want. Also, no requirement to communicate at all on the radio if not in Class D airspace or higher. Not smart, but not required.

Dadcat,

I'm a pilot and can tell you that it is not illegal for a plane to fly low to the water unless there are boats or swimmers. Open water, you can legally fly right down to the surface if you want. Also, no requirement to communicate at all on the radio if not in Class D airspace or higher. Not smart, but not required.
Hi Casey,

I'm a pilot too and that airplane, as I stated, was over the beach, not open water. It flew no more than 75 feet over the top of many dozen cars, trucks and people. You can drive on the beach here. If it hadn't been for unusually light winds that day there would have been a lot of kites flying too. The airplane was flying illegally.

The point of my post was that stuff like that happens and if I think my legally flying Mavic may be in the way of an illegally flying airplane, I want to be able to sacrifice the drone to avoid the possible collision.

Hi Casey,

I'm a pilot too and that airplane, as I stated, was over the beach, not open water. It flew no more than 75 feet over the top of many dozen cars, trucks and people. You can drive on the beach here. If it hadn't been for unusually light winds that day there would have been a lot of kites flying too. The airplane was flying illegally.

The point of my post was that stuff like that happens and if I think my legally flying Mavic may be in the way of an illegally flying airplane, I want to be able to sacrifice the drone to avoid the possible collision.

My apologies. Totally missed the "beach" part and thought "water" for some reason.

I'm down at my condo here in Daytona Beach and we have banner tow aircraft that fly by at about 300 feet and sometimes less every day. I'm very concerned that a non-pilot drone operator will get in the way of one these guys and make some headlines. That might make things bad for all of us.

I can see the day coming when we will all have to have "ADS-B out" on our drones.

I don't see a way to disable this setting in the android app. Can anybody confirm that it is there?

From what I've read, the RTH button is used with a left stick down on the Phantom 4 for a mid-air motor shutdown which makes more sense since there's no way you'd be doing that otherwise.

John
Yep - but as far as I can tell (downloaded V1.4 of the MP manual) there is no such change for the MP. Maybe I'm wrong. That said, IMO anything involving the primary controls to shut off the motors is plain dumb.

Yep - but as far as I can tell (downloaded V1.4 of the MP manual) there is no such change for the MP. Maybe I'm wrong. That said, IMO anything involving the primary controls to shut off the motors is plain dumb.

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I was agreeing with you about using other controls and that it had been done with the P4, it hasn't been done with the Mavic Pro which seems odd. I think RTH and left stick is sensible as I can't see how you'd do that accidentally since you'd need your left hand on the RTH button and your right hand on the left stick, either way it's better than just sticks.

John

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I was agreeing with you about using other controls and that it had been done with the P4, it hasn't been done with the Mavic Pro which seems odd. I think RTH and left stick is sensible as I can't see how you'd do that accidentally since you'd need your left hand on the RTH button and your right hand on the left stick, either way it's better than just sticks.

John

I agree it's better. I disagree that such a command should involve the primary controls at all.

Airbus A320 POH, section 5, p 7: emergency engine shut down: pull throttle all the way back and ailerons all the way right. Press the Direct-To WPT button on the FMS. Engines will shut down immediately.​

Would be just as sensible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc