DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass calibration

Would you recommend calibrating a compass before each flight, or not
While it won't hurt anything if you choose to do it, you do not need to calibrate the compass before each flight.

Check out the Compass Calibration Guide for more details on when you should be recalibrating the compass.

Calibrated today in a forest preserve and it happens at any point in flight when I turn around to come back towards the remote. I have flown in different locations also.
Wow , I think Id try re installing the latest firmware and software updates in both Mavic Pro and DJI go 4 app. Sounds like a firmware issue in the drone. Or maybe a damaged Compass .. If updating doesnt help It sounds like your best bet would be to send it in for repair.

Wow , I think Id try re installing the latest firmware and software updates in both Mavic Pro and DJI go 4 app. Sounds like a firmware issue in the drone. Or maybe a damaged Compass .. If updating doesnt help It sounds like your best bet would be to send it in for repair.
How can I reinstall the firmware?

Download DJI assistant on you PC . then plug you MP into your computer and install new firmware. Im running 4.1.18 now. for my DJI Go4 app . on my iphone and 4.1.15 on my Galaxy S5. So I would suggest updating your Mavic Pro and then you Go4 app. The Mavic pro firmware update will take quit a while so always start with a fully charged battery. Always ... Watch a few you tube videos if you think you need a few tips first.

Download DJI assistant on you PC . then plug you MP into your computer and install new firmware. Im running 4.1.18 now. for my DJI Go4 app . on my iphone and 4.1.15 on my Galaxy S5. So I would suggest updating your Mavic Pro and then you Go4 app. The Mavic pro firmware update will take quit a while so always start with a fully charged battery. Always ... Watch a few you tube videos if you think you need a few tips first.
I did the refresh option on the assistant and updated the mavic and remotes only took about 5 minutes hopefully it will work.

Hi all,
I’m having trouble with my flights after calibrating the imu and compass, I still get compass error warnings. Am I calibrating the compass right? Could anyone post of a video of it done correctly? I also calibrate away from interferences.
Very important to be away from any metal or magnetic interference, like a smart watch, depending on the watch, be careful of concrete due to the potential of rebar metal in it. Usually best done in the middle of an open field, IMHO. The way I undersand it, the Mavic is detecting magnetic variances and building a set of data to correct for any normal magnetic deviations/ Once is has a "good set of data" for your geographic location, you should not need to recalibrate again unless GO4 asks you to do it.

It must’ve been a firmware issue because I calibrated it in an empty field and it was still throwing imu heading and compass errors. But I have yet to try it will report back tomorrow afternoon.

Reactions: dbyantis
I tried it after refreshing the firmware and it didnt help. should i try using older firmware? or try refreshing again?

It also flies sideways and thinks there's high winds

Last edited:
Would you recommend calibrating a compass before each flight, or not, thanks.

/
Hi Kakao, I think DJI say if you go a long distance from where you calibrated it the previous time you need to do it again, i'm not sure why changing location should make it need recalibrating though. Whenever I go out to fly I always check the app to see if everything is ok (calibrations etc) and let it hover for a few seconds just to check.

Hi Kakao, I think DJI say if you go a long distance from where you calibrated it the previous time you need to do it again, i'm not sure why changing location should make it need recalibrating though. Whenever I go out to fly I always check the app to see if everything is ok (calibrations etc) and let it hover for a few seconds just to check.
Magnetic fields impact the accuracy of the compass, so the Mavic will record the variances in a "table" to correct for the variances. If the table is wrong then the compass will be inaccurate.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast