DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controlled Airspace - Kauai, HI

Granthp

Reactions
Hi all,
I'm new to flying drones and have a question regarding no-fly-zones or controlled airspace. I am going on a trip to Kauai, Hawaii in about a month and was planning on flying my drone when I'm there. However, I just downloaded the app Airmap and looked at the area that I would be flying and there are 5 advisories that come up - Lihue Class D, Lihue Class E2, Haiku Airstrip, HI 23 Airstrip, and Lihue Airport. The property that I will be on is about 1,000 acres all surrounded by mountains, however, it appears there are a few airports on the other side of the mountains. I've been here several times and the only issue I see there being is the tourist helicopters flying but even those don't fly past the mountain ridge line.

Questions I have are: Would my drone allow me to take off with those advisories (showing up as yellow)? If so, will I need a permit or call the airports to ask for permission? Finally, where would I get a permit? If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Was there 2 weeks ago, didn't get to fly much coz of typical HI weather.
But managed to get short vids by the hotel I stayed @ Marriott in Lihue.
Did not get any no NFZ w/ my setup coz I'm still on stock FW 400 and 405 App and device setup to airplane mode before power up.

Hi all,
I'm new to flying drones and have a question regarding no-fly-zones or controlled airspace. I am going on a trip to Kauai, Hawaii in about a month and was planning on flying my drone when I'm there. However, I just downloaded the app Airmap and looked at the area that I would be flying and there are 5 advisories that come up - Lihue Class D, Lihue Class E2, Haiku Airstrip, HI 23 Airstrip, and Lihue Airport. The property that I will be on is about 1,000 acres all surrounded by mountains, however, it appears there are a few airports on the other side of the mountains. I've been here several times and the only issue I see there being is the tourist helicopters flying but even those don't fly past the mountain ridge line.

Questions I have are: Would my drone allow me to take off with those advisories (showing up as yellow)? If so, will I need a permit or call the airports to ask for permission? Finally, where would I get a permit? If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

I'm in Kauai now and I know the general area you are flying in. I stay away from the Lihue airport. Those other air strips are probably not used much but per the rules, you should notify them.

If no one answers, leave a message with your name, where you are flying, at what altitude you will be maxing out at, and a contact number. When you are done call back and tell them that you have finished. It's a pain when there are multiple overlapping airstrips but that's what you are supposed to do.

I didn't want to be bothered with the hassle so just choose areas that didn't have restrictions (but always be aware of those tourist Helicopters).

Looking at the DJI Geo map there are only two red NFZ areas shown. One is very small some sort of correctional center near Lihue, the other is a military restricted area at Barking Sands on the far west side of the island. The military one would be the main concern - it would not be unlockable and it has about a 4 km radius.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nightrider619