DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller 5D button missing

Same problem :/ .. dji replace controller ? my dji (Purchased in January, it is still under warranty ?)

Thanks for your help !

Same problem :/ .. dji replace controller ? my dji (Purchased in January, it is still under warranty ?)

Thanks for your help !

I have a friend who printed the button from the printfile above. He had to adjust the scale. It is 10 times to big.

web_000158.jpg

Mine it's loose too but I still have it. I will just glue it. And I use it a lot. Zooming with pics. Camera down while landing, switching map view. Easy

it seems that button doesn't work :/ ... Dji will replace my controller ?

Ok, cool. I only asked at the 3D printed ones put additional stress on the little button as they have lateral movement with the sticks. A pretty bad design if you ask me.
The joystick protector cutout for the 5D button is a great example of good intentions gone bad. The cutout no doubt was designed to accommodate the 5D button, which rises above and therefore is not flush with the controller face (thus allowing the button to have its up/down/left/right functions). But when the joystick protector moves laterally it can shear off the 5D button (see video below).
When the joystick protector is pressed all the way down, there is no lateral movement. But when the joystick protector slides up, it can then move laterally and will shear off the 5D button. Many of us will at some point notice the button is gone, never find it, and never understand what happened. Some of us will find the 5D button in the bottom of the bag in which we keep the controller, but never know what happened.
So then what, contact DJI and follow their instructions to ship them the controller, and weeks later get back a refurbished controller (hope you don't unwittingly resume use of the deadly joystick protector). But this solution won't work for any of us whom have modified their controllers, such as to install a long range antenna.
Alternative solution is to find a 5D button on the secondary market, which likely will be the 5D button attached to the board. See pic below of board with the 5D button attached, and beside it is the 5D button that was snapped off by the cutout of the joystick protector.

Attachments

• 5D button and board.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Reactions: SkunkWerx's
dji support send me a new controller (and I noticed that joysticks movements are harder than initial controller > new model ?)

Just a thought , would a laptop mouse button work -- the ones that are in the center of the keyboard

Mine it's loose too but I still have it. I will just glue it. And I use it a lot. Zooming with pics. Camera down while landing, switching map view. Easy
Don't use Glue ---- Use silicone just incase you have to dismantle your remote for repairs or to make modificationsThumbswayup

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
Did you buy that board, and did the button come with it? Mine kept falling off a few months ago, so I glued it on, then decided to do an antenna mod, and managed to break the button off in the course of controller disassembly. I decided to order a new board (eBay) so wondering if that button will come with it.

The joystick protector cutout for the 5D button is a great example of good intentions gone bad. The cutout no doubt was designed to accommodate the 5D button, which rises above and therefore is not flush with the controller face (thus allowing the button to have its up/down/left/right functions). But when the joystick protector moves laterally it can shear off the 5D button (see video below).
When the joystick protector is pressed all the way down, there is no lateral movement. But when the joystick protector slides up, it can then move laterally and will shear off the 5D button. Many of us will at some point notice the button is gone, never find it, and never understand what happened. Some of us will find the 5D button in the bottom of the bag in which we keep the controller, but never know what happened.
So then what, contact DJI and follow their instructions to ship them the controller, and weeks later get back a refurbished controller (hope you don't unwittingly resume use of the deadly joystick protector). But this solution won't work for any of us whom have modified their controllers, such as to install a long range antenna.
Alternative solution is to find a 5D button on the secondary market, which likely will be the 5D button attached to the board. See pic below of board with the 5D button attached, and beside it is the 5D button that was snapped off by the cutout of the joystick protector.

Did you buy that board, and did the button come with it? Mine kept falling off a few months ago, so I glued it on, then decided to do an antenna mod, and managed to break the button off in the course of controller disassembly. I decided to order a new board (eBay) so wondering if that button will come with it.
I bought the board, and the button came with it, but wouldn't surprise me if used parts sellers are selling them separate.

A week after owning my first Mavic, the 5D button fell off while I was flying. I didn't notice it until I got home. So I returned to where I was standing and saw it in the grass. Talk about luck. I saw the plastic button was pushed on a square metal rod on the rocker switch. So I pushed it back on and it snapped into place. I then pulled down on the switch and the button came right off, but where I could recover it. I replaced the button with a dab of cement into the square hole of the plastic button and pushed it back on and let the cement dry. Now it is sturdy and doesn't slide off at all.

The MP is quite nice to fly and shoots some really nice 4K video. But it has a couple of flaws. Since April, I've had to fix this 5D button and also replace the gimbal ribbon cable. Also, when I fly with the clear globe in place the video is ruined by a glare and the MP gets really hot. I had to buy a different open front globe that is black plastic to solve both issues. The final problem is that the GO4 app on my iphone makes the phone battery drain very fast and the phone gets really hot. Then the image of what is being shot tends to freeze. So I quit using the iphone and stick to the ipad air 2 which runs cooler and the image doesn't freeze up.

BTW- several have asked what the 5D button is used for. It is programmable but I found the default use good for me. Down= camera straight down; up = camera level. This is a fast reposition of the camera for a quick check what's below while the wheel is more for slow camera tilt position. I don't use the zoom control on it much because I shoot in 4K.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife