DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller Signal Icon flashing

webjeff04

Reactions
New Mavic owner here. I have these power lines across from my main spot. When I go near them it will cause my controller icon to flash but no warnings. With that should I stay clear of them?

DJI_0035.JPG

Also these towers are within 2000 feet.

20171020_103026.jpg

But it seems to happen when Im near the lines. Whats your guys experience and advice on this?

I never fly anywhere near power lines,danger of hitting them,the OA will not detect them, plus unknown interference. I am a cautious flyer and take as few risks as possible, others may be more adventurous.
Pity it looks like a good flying location.

Reactions: Slayerstwin
Well Its across the street from my main spot here:

vlcsnap-2017-10-16-11h17m11s149.png

As a new pilot any kind of warning really sketches me out! So Ill probably stay out of there now.

There are mixed opinions on this. Many will insist that power line EMF has no effect whatsoever on the freq that we fly. Thus the ability to do power line inspections at close range, etc.

I personally have not noticed any effect when flying in the vicinity of them, but I don't get right up on them either.

I have gotten this also much more in the past (before I switched to IOS), not that that has anything to do with it, however when it happened to me I was nowhere near power lines. Go figure.

All said, if you're experiencing signal interference (which is what the flashing signal icon means) from a given situation, best not to ignore it.

Last edited:
I've flown both with android and ios devices. Seems with the android that once we have signal interference, the signal will keep on flashing even after we are no longer near the source of interference. If the signal interference is strong enough, you'll receive visual warning in Go4.

With the ios, once we have passed the source of signal interference, the signal will stop flashing. If the interference is strong enough, you'll receive visual warning.

If you don't receive any message saying there is strong interference at the aircraft, I would say you can just ignore the flashing signals. If that annoys you, then you'll have to use an ios device.

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
There are mixed opinions on this. Many will insist that power line EMF has no effect whatsoever on the freq that we fly. Thus the ability to do power line inspections at close range, etc.

I personally have not noticed any effect when flying in the vicinity of them, but I don't get right up on them either.

I have gotten this also much more in the past (before I switched to IOS), not that that has anything to do with it, however when it happened to me I was nowhere near power lines. Go figure.

All said, if you're experiencing signal interference (which is what the flashing signal icon means) from a given situation, best not to ignore it.

Maybe this video will convince you that there is no EMF from those high voltage power lines.... :p

I've flown both with android and ios devices. Seems with the android that once we have signal interference, the signal will keep on flashing even after we are no longer near the source of interference. If the signal interference is strong enough, you'll receive visual warning in Go4.

With the ios, once we have passed the source of signal interference, the signal will stop flashing. If the interference is strong enough, you'll receive visual warning.

If you don't receive any message saying there is strong interference at the aircraft, I would say you can just ignore the flashing signals. If that annoys you, then you'll have to use an ios device.

Ok thanks thats what I wanted to know.

I never fly anywhere near power lines,danger of hitting them,the OA will not detect them, plus unknown interference. I am a cautious flyer and take as few risks as possible, others may be more adventurous.
Pity it looks like a good flying location.
That attitude will serve you well Jayfdee.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ad60