DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

County prohibits use of DJI drones (for use by government agencies or for government contracts)

SladeSteele07

Reactions
I've had a DJI mavic 2 Enterprise advanced for a while and just got the matrice 30t. I approached our county sheriff's office and fire and rescue to see about getting involved in working with them and I was told that they no longer allow any of their departments to own or operate DJI drones, and that includes contractors as well. Kind of put a bit of a damper on what my hopes and expectations were but they cited security issues. Has anyone else experienced this? Thank you.

They : Meaning the Sheriff Dept made some of his own Decisions maybe

There was talk of security issues , but much more so for the Government Drones if I recall.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

It was more than the sheriff's department. In fact, they were not very happy with the decision because they just purchased a bunch of matrice drones a couple years ago and now they have to sell everything and start over. And they were trying to use outside independent contractors or volunteers to bypass that issue but the county lawyer told them they couldn't do it. So I don't know where it came from but it's higher up the food chain. This is happening in Pasco county Florida

Are they saying that police and fire officers can not own DJI drones for recreational flying?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
Are they saying that police and fire officers can not own DJI drones for recreational flying?

Um no.. .they are saying no DJI aircraft can be used in a County capacity whether county owned or privately owned.

That is correct. They are saying that the county can no longer own or operate DJI drones in any capacity. And that includes volunteers, consultants and contractors. In my case, I can no longer provide free volunteer services to any county agency. In the past, I would assist with search and rescue, fire mitigation, perp searches, controlled burns, etc. But not any longer. They going to spend the same on the Parrot drone as the M30t for less zoom capabilities, less overall stability, less thermal resolution, etc. I have tried to get an answer as to the real reason why but can't seem to find the decision maker in al of this.

Have you come across this in your work in your area?
No not in the least. In fact, I'm working with a Fire Dept right now to secure several M30T units and another Police Dept I've set up has a dozen M30T's being delivered in a few weeks.

Reactions: GFields
In what state do you live? I'm just curious to know if this is a local issue or not. I'm in Florida and I'm quite surprised that we're facing this here.

In what state do you live?
In the profile below his screen name it says Western North Carolina.

I have tried to get an answer as to the real reason why but can't seem to find the decision maker in al of this.
For it to be law and enforceable, doesn't it have to be codified? Meaning written down and not just one person's decision? Ask the city or county clerk or Manager for a printed copy of the City/county bylaws.

Some States and depending what organization have adapted the "Blue Certified Drone Rule"
Mostly has to do with Government but can affect Police and such.

Blue UAS Cleared List. A routinely updated list of DoD approved drones providing options for the evolving mission needs of government users. These drones are section 848 FY20 NDAA compliant, validated as cyber-secure and safe to fly, and are available for government purchase and operation.

This is a significant problem at the federal level because of existing federal rules and guidelines. For example USFS no longer allows local agencies to use DJI equipment in wildland fire operations on USFS land. But it is entirely voluntary when it comes to local agencies, and if they are implementing it for anything other than national security-sensitive activities then it is a pointless overreaction.

In what state do you live? I'm just curious to know if this is a local issue or not. I'm in Florida and I'm quite surprised that we're facing this here.

AS noted, I'm in North Carolina but I am dispatched to Ga, Tn, SC, and Va throughout the year and I've never had a single issue with using DJI aircraft.

Reactions: rx7ward
I've had a DJI mavic 2 Enterprise advanced for a while and just got the matrice 30t. I approached our county sheriff's office and fire and rescue to see about getting involved in working with them and I was told that they no longer allow any of their departments to own or operate DJI drones, and that includes contractors as well. Kind of put a bit of a damper on what my hopes and expectations were but they cited security issues. Has anyone else experienced this? Thank you.
I see you are in Florida, this explains it; New Florida drone law causes big problems for public safety agencies. We've had FL agencies calling us in a panic looking for a reasonably priced Blue Drone to replace their DJI equipment.

Reactions: KLRSKIR
I understand their concern for privacy and security, and I share that to some degree. But what are they doing as a law enforcement agency that would be too sensitive to the Chinese? Does it really matter if the Chinese saw how they busted a burglar, investigated a car accident, or something along those lines? Why would the Chinese government even put effort into checking that beyond plain curiosity and voyeurism, how does this serve their national interest and hurt our own?

The only thing I can think of...drug trafficking. So are they using drones to help with that? If so, that's actually pretty exciting...you know, as a drone nerd.

Some States and depending what organization have adapted the "Blue Certified Drone Rule"
Mostly has to do with Government but can affect Police and such.

Blue UAS Cleared List. A routinely updated list of DoD approved drones providing options for the evolving mission needs of government users. These drones are section 848 FY20 NDAA compliant, validated as cyber-secure and safe to fly, and are available for government purchase and operation.
Florida adopted that earlier this year I believe. I remember reading something about it before returning to Michigan for the summer.

Florida’s head honcho and a former federal head honcho are best buds and this has been in the works there for some time now. Once again, over reactive, under informed bureaucratic buffoons make stupid decisions to add cost to things that make zero difference.

The biggest issue with DJI drones is having to request unlocks to get airborne. Those used for government uses and infrastructure inspections should be able to be totally unlocked so this isn’t necessary.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147