DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

County prohibits use of DJI drones (for use by government agencies or for government contracts)

Read both thoroughly. Don't see it.

The first is a privacy bill that prohibits lingering around and watching and/or recording people, or their property, for the purpose of surveillance (which, in the context of the bill means your purpose in flying there is to observe them).

The second is a safety bill that mostly outlines limitations on Law Enforcement and other government entities in using drones, lots of restrictions, process for approval, legal warrants, etc.

So no ban on DJI drones, or drones in general. My interpretation is this is mainly a "don't spy on people" that makes it second class misdemeanor to do so.

Last edited:

The first is a privacy bill that prohibits lingering around and watching and/or recording people, or their property, for the purpose of surveillance (which, in the context of the bill means your purpose in flying there is to observe them).

The second is a safety bill that mostly outlines limitations on Law Enforcement and other government entities in using drones, lots of restrictions, process for approval, legal warrants, etc.

So no ban on DJI drones, or drones in general. My interpretation is this is mainly a "don't spy on people" that makes it second class misdemeanor to do so.
You missed reading it.
Bottom of 2nd link:
"2. “Governmental agency” means any state, county, local, or municipal governmental entity or any unit of government created or established by law that uses a drone for any purpose.
(b) By January 1, 2022, the department, in consultation with the state chief information officer, shall publish on the department’s website a list of approved manufacturers whose drones may be purchased or otherwise acquired and used by a governmental agency under this section. An approved manufacturer must provide appropriate safeguards to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of data collected, transmitted, or stored by a drone. The department may consult state and federal agencies and any relevant federal guidance in developing the list of approved manufacturers required under this paragraph.
(c) Beginning on the date the department publishes the list of approved drone manufacturers under paragraph (b), a governmental agency may only purchase or otherwise acquire a drone from an approved manufacturer.
(d) By July 1, 2022, a governmental agency that uses any drone not produced by an approved manufacturer shall submit to the department a comprehensive plan for discontinuing the use of such a drone. The department shall adopt rules identifying the requirements of the comprehensive plan required under this paragraph.
(e) By January 1, 2023, all governmental agencies must discontinue the use of drones not produced by an approved manufacturer. The department shall establish by rule, consistent with any federal guidance on drone security, minimum security requirements for governmental agency drone use to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of data collected, transmitted, or stored by a drone. The department may consult federal agencies in establishing the minimum security requirements required under this paragraph."

Approved drones are noted in this article:

My bad, I interpreted the title to refer to a total ban, not just government use. Hence my response.

A State government ban doesn't seem that remarkable, given the Federal ban already in place.

My bad, I interpreted the title to refer to a total ban, not just government use. Hence my response.

A State government ban doesn't seem that remarkable, given the Federal ban already in place.
The big difference between Federal and State/Local usage is that the drone operators for Search & Rescue, Law Enforcement, and First Responders are more likely to be part of State or Local agencies. The Florida law has a greater impact than a Federal ban.

Reactions: Torque
The big difference between Federal and State/Local usage is that the drone operators for Search & Rescue, Law Enforcement, and First Responders are more likely to be part of State or Local agencies. The Florida law has a greater impact than a Federal ban.
Good point.

The House just today proposed a complete ban on AL DJI drones (or products) I just saw it on Greg's Pilot Institute Vlog on youtube... We need to nip this in the bud or none of us will be able to fly our drones... current 6/2/23

The House just today proposed a complete ban on AL DJI drones (or products) I just saw it on Greg's Pilot Institute Vlog on youtube... We need to nip this in the bud or none of us will be able to fly our drones... current 6/2/23
It's referring to a bill that has collected dust since last year. Not much movement that I can tell.

Reactions: New England Droning
It's referring to a bill that has collected dust since last year. Not much movement that I can tell.
We can hope, but its something we should keep an eye on. Because all it takes is election fever to get them looking for a "patriotic" bill to get behind and then we have people telling us we can't fly our drones...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_