DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crash and gimbal problem

Todd T

Reactions
Hit the turf and gimbal won't recalibrate, gives gimbal overload same as when forget to remove gimbal clamp. Calibration stops at 5%. Everything looks fine, but not sure about the little ribbon thing or if it's seated properly... thought I'd start here before I contact DJI for return and repair which is my fear. Bummin', got the day off, zero wind... fly high blue sky, thanks for any input. Side question, couldn't get forum to tag a photo, only take one and post "live" pic, am I missing something?

Attachments

• 1496165577962222096363.jpg
    1496165577962222096363.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
Do you have DJI Refresh or other insurance? Your gimbal flat ribbon cable is probably torn, or one of you motors in your gimbal motor assembly could be fried.

i littlerly just did the same thing this saterday and not sure how to fix this without sending it to DJI

Yes, got refresh but had hope to find a repair option, but the more threads I read, my fear is likely to be reality... gonna try few more things then off to dji and fed ex I suppose... thanks thunderď

Yes, got refresh but had hope to find a repair option, but the more threads I read, my fear is likely to be reality... gonna try few more things then off to dji and fed ex I suppose... thanks thunderď

Ok good luck. Depending on where you live, the repair can take between 4-6 weeks to get it back, so try to be patient.

i have insurance threw all-state but didn't want to use the insurance unless i haft too is there a way to fix this

Do you want to try and fix it yourself? Youre going to have to troubleshoot it, and that means buying and installing a new ribbon cable after you have torn it down, possibly replacing the gimbal motor assembly or gimbal control board.

I repair mavics every day, sometimes 2 in a day. I can give you an estimate of the cost of repair and my turnaround time is usually 2-3 business days.

Check out this thread:

Thunderdrones Repair Information

Do you want to try and fix it yourself? Youre going to have to troubleshoot it, and that means buying and installing a new ribbon cable after you have torn it down, possibly replacing the gimbal motor assembly or gimbal control board.

I repair mavics every day, sometimes 2 in a day. I can give you an estimate of the cost of repair and my turnaround time is usually 2-3 business days.

Check out this thread:

Thunderdrones Repair Information
that would be great send me a PM with some info and we can do some more talking

I might consider that, looks like perhaps the back two rubber bands are loose, are those supposed to be in the holes below?

Don't think pic attached to last one

Attachments

• 1496169108664254720185.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
Don't think pic attached to last one

Looks like the back 2 popped out of the upper gimbal plate. You can try to push them back up in with a screwdriver but be careful, they rip easily. The correct way to do it is to remove the top cover, drop the gimbal down, and do it from the top..

Thanks so much man!

Attachments

• 1496169408474-1496968663.jpg
    1496169408474-1496968663.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
  • 1496169541086815808729.jpg
    1496169541086815808729.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 1496169647122849097009.jpg
    1496169647122849097009.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
I will just try to push the grommets thru the holes or take the cover off as you suggest, and see if that will allow calibration. I'll let ya know if it works. Shoot me a quote if you want on ribbon cable cuz I might consider that instead of my refresh depending on price, first issue so no clue on repair costs... thanks again so much for your input!

I will just try to push the grommets thru the holes or take the cover off as you suggest, and see if that will allow calibration. I'll let ya know if it works. Shoot me a quote if you want on ribbon cable cuz I might consider that instead of my refresh depending on price, first issue so no clue on repair costs... thanks again so much for your input!

Cable itself is $29 and labor usually around $80 because I have to take the body apart, strip the gimbal, reinstall and flight test. All in all around 2-3 hours of my time.

If you have Refresh and around 4-6 weeks to wait, you should send it in to DJI.

Ugh, don't think I can get them pushed through and I see that one of the hex screws on mavic is glued to protect warranty I assume, so don't think I'll try the top off attempt unless you think it would solve calibration getting the rubber bands back in place... sounded like your best guess, since stops at 5% during calibration is that I'll likely need new ribbon anyway so no sense in attempting further if the risk voids future refresh warranty.... Dog gone it! Appreciate the input! Feeling grounded all of a sudden!

Pushing the rubber bands back in might not solve your calibration problem but trying (patiently but persistently) to get them back into place from the outside and trying to calibrate is going to beat waiting for a refresh to come.

What state are you in? If youre closer to Cali then then wait time might not be too bad, 3-4 weeks. East coast more like 5-6.

I'm in Montana so fingers crossed on quick return from DJI... one of the legs has tiny gap where some grass got wedged in... seemed to still fly fine but banged up none the less... so figured I have the care for a reason and figured it's best to just have it done by them to inspect damage in case something else got knocked loose... off to UPS, guess I'll have time to do some video editing! Fly safe!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J