DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dauphin Island Question

Dbez1

107 Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hello, I’m doing a vacation on Dauphin Island (Alabama) this spring if COVID permits. I know Gulf Shores has very strict drone ordinances but I was wondering if any of you might know about the Island? Is it even worth taking my drone? Any information you can provide will be very helpful. Thanks

Try looking on KittyHawk or UAV Forecast for Dauphin to see if they show restricted zones.

Just doing a Google Search states that on one end (west) is a CG Station - so guess that area would be a no and a small airport also on that end - which may or may not be depending on airport status.

Also this:

Here is AirMap’s findings, which means you are fine in the air. Check local ordinances for takeoff and landing.
481A1DA8-62FE-4AF7-AD24-AACE261CD2FA.jpeg

Thank you for the help. I’m having trouble finding the local ordinances though.

I didn’t take my drone but could have flown from where we were staying. Be careful though as there’s a lot of fairly low flying CG choppers and small private planes. Enjoy your vacation and take your bikes if you have any.

Attachments

• 201670C2-A706-4136-9AF0-0B4314951DB2.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 0B5E81F5-FAD2-4B25-84F5-8ED381D361EE.jpeg
    9 MB · Views: 6
A paraphrase, "Better to have a drone and not need it, than to need a drone and not have it."
Wise words...but as I think back on it, we had too large a group and it would have been awkward to say no, you can’t fly my drone in these conditions. Wind, aircrafts, young grandkids, etc. If it was just my wife and I, you would be 100% correct, take it, it doesn’t occupy that much space. As it happened in our situation, we had a good visit and my drone is still nice and safe here at home. ?

Hello, I’m doing a vacation on Dauphin Island (Alabama) this spring if COVID permits. I know Gulf Shores has very strict drone ordinances but I was wondering if any of you might know about the Island? Is it even worth taking my drone? Any information you can provide will be very helpful. Thanks
I am a long time resident of Dauphin Island and just hot a drone for Christmas. Subsequently, I researched federal and state laws and emailed Dauphin Island mayor, Jeff Colier, Mayor Collier said he is not aware of any drone laws specific to the Island, and to simply follow state and federal laws and enjoy your drone. This, I imagine if you fly over the police department, coastal base, airport or large groups of people of people, like the Mardi Grass Parade or fishing rodeo, you could potentially have problems, if it's a blatant violation of security or a public danger to people, but otherwise, feel free to bring a drone and capture the sunsets, fly over the beaches or whatever you care to do, we're pretty libertarian on the island, just don't violate the state law about using drones as part of an investigation, whether private or police, don't potentially endanger critical infrastructure or possibly hurt anyone or look into windows, yeah, basically if you aren't doing something creepy on the surface have fun either your drone it's cool.

Thank you. We were there last April and had a terrific time. I was unsure about the drone and unfortunately left it at home. I will take it next trip since you have given me this information. Thanks again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piloter