DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DaVinci Resolve 12.5

clayton90

Reactions
I went out a bought a laptop last night but not sure if it will cut it. I bought a Lenovo yoga 710 4k screen, 16Gb ram, Nvidia GTX 940mx video card, Intel i7 7500 CPU and 256Gb SSD. In my research this setup seemed to be good enough to run DaVinci but it struggles even if downgrade the resolution. So I'm wondering is video editing on a laptop just a pipe dream or am I doing something wrong? Will this laptop even work for video editing? I haven't tried other software yet but plan on it. Newbie btw

4k Struggles on my top of the range iMac.

You need to Generate Optimised media which basically converts your clips to an decoded format so that your monitor doesn't have to decode the video all the time. Works a treat.

I does create some very large files though so remember to clear the Optimised Media when you are done with your project.

Reactions: Black Mama
Thank you. I think I had that clicked but I'm not sure. I found another website that suggested a 4 or 8 core CPU, this is just a dual core so it may not work well either way.

I use resolve 12.5 on an i5 laptop with 950m GPU
Have to create 720p proxy files when I import media (resolve does it for you, can't remember the exact setting, many YouTube tutorials), can then edit in real time and when finished generate 1080p / 4K output whatever you need

Reactions: Black Mama
Davinci Resolve runs over the graphic card.
No matter if it is an AMD Ryzen7 1800X or Intel i7 6950X. The better the graphic card, the better the performance.

Curious. I just took a quick look but it doesn't seem to support Titles/Credits/Music or am I wrong? If not then what software do you use to complete your video and publish it?

Curious. I just took a quick look but it doesn't seem to support Titles/Credits/Music or am I wrong? If not then what software do you use to complete your video and publish it?

It does titles with effects, fading, rolling etc, and music, with controls for speed, fading etc
It's the first video editor I've used and only made on video so far, which took a whole morning of tutorials to finish, but is capable of all that.
Use text function to overlay text, and can then use keyframes to adjust when opacity changes, position changes/rolling etc can start, speed they transition

I'm sure there are much more knowledgeable people out there using it. But so far in my limited experience, if there is something I can't do, it's just because I haven't figured it out yet, not because the software can't handle it.

Reactions: grizzard
It does titles with effects, fading, rolling etc, and music, with controls for speed, fading etc
It's the first video editor I've used and only made on video so far, which took a whole morning of tutorials to finish, but is capable of all that.
Use text function to overlay text, and can then use keyframes to adjust when opacity changes, position changes/rolling etc can start, speed they transition

I'm sure there are much more knowledgeable people out there using it. But so far in my limited experience, if there is something I can't do, it's just because I haven't figured it out yet, not because the software can't handle it.
Ah, thanks. Still researching this trying to figure out why it's free. Looks good though and better at color correcting than the Filmora which is pretty easy to use.

Keep in mind, DR is a scaled back version of the Davinci suite. It is to tempt people into buying the full version. Some of the stuff is there, but hidden, and some appears to be, but is disabled and asks if you want to buy the full version (over $1000). To get around some of that stuff, do the color work in DA and the finish up in something like iMovie.

Trying to edit in 4K without using "Optimized" media will stress nearly any machine.

Reactions: grizzard
Ah ... Way above what I as an amateur need .... and moreso since I'm an Android user. Thanks for answering that.

My first (and so far only) Resolve video: Surfing

Title at beginning was fun to figure out, pan it upwards from a keyframe to end of title clip...
Most clips are zoomed and panned within the frame during the clip, benefit of shooting 4k for 1080 output, I assume other editors can do that, but nothing cheap that I previously had access to (such as Nero...)
Still have to figure out colour profiles on the mavic, so not much colour to play with in post...
And originally had an Usher song as soundtrack which I I edited and faded in resolve to match the surfing. Youtube swapped it out though.

Why is it free? I don't know. Do I mind? Not particularly, will be my go-to software for video editing. And if I ever quit my day job and did this professionally, I wouldn't mind paying the $999.

Reactions: grizzard and M K
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan