DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Depth of Field Illustration

This has very little relevance to drone flyers.
To start with, most drone cameras have a fixed aperture that can't be changed.
The only DJI consumer drone camera with a controllable aperture is the wide camera of the Mavic 3 pro, but it has lots of depth of field at any aperture.
Even with that camera, to see any change in DoF, you would have to be much closer to your subject than you ever when flying a drone.

Reactions: CadrePilot
Interesting clip showing the difference's between the setting's that a person can set.
But completely irrelevant to drone photography.
It's showing a 50 mm f1.4 lens on a full-frame SLR camera, with the subject about 1 ft or 0.3 metres from the lens.
Only one current DJI consumer camera has a controllable aperture.
That's the wide camera of the Mavic 3 series and it has tons of depth of field at any aperture
Plus no-one is using their drone to shoot a subject that's onlt 0.3 metres away.

Reactions: MavicFlyer2
It's showing a 50 mm f1.4 lens on a full-frame SLR camera, with the subject about 1 ft or 0.3 metres from the lens.
That's the wide camera of the Mavic 3 series and it has tons of depth of field at any aperture
Plus no-one is using their drone to shoot a subject that's onlt 0.3 metres away.
I totally agree and not on my drone....I just thought the animation was interesting showing the differences between f2.8 to I think f16 and how it changes the FOV.

Reactions: CadrePilot
Ok. I see what you're saying.

That kinda sucks. It would be valuable artistic tool if we could control depth of field.