DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DIY M2 Beacon (v.1)

If you want a top mount and have the PGYTECH adapter we have this one that has a 1/4"-20 thread in the bottom HERE and can get a version for any of the popular strobes (Flytron and Firehouse).

2 Directions (Front and Back or Side to Side)

Or all 4 directions:

Reactions: Ken K
If you want a top mount and have the PGYTECH adapter we have this one that has a 1/4"-20 thread in the bottom HERE and can get a version for any of the popular strobes (Flytron and Firehouse).

2 Directions (Front and Back or Side to Side)

Or all 4 directions:

Since they are mounted atop the drone rather than on the legs (or are they arms?) how visible are these from a distance and below IN DAYTIME. My issue is that I tend to lose the drone in a tree line. When standing and looking toward the treeline like in the following, the gray drone, even with it's leg lights disappears. Wondering if lights atop the drone would be visible? If the drone goes above the treeline it tends to stand out against the sky (ignore that it is also gray!)TreeLineArrow.jpg

Since they are mounted atop the drone rather than on the legs (or are they arms?) how visible are these from a distance and below IN DAYTIME. My issue is that I tend to lose the drone in a tree line. When standing and looking toward the treeline like in the following, the gray drone, even with it's leg lights disappears. Wondering if lights atop the drone would be visible? If the drone goes above the treeline it tends to stand out against the sky (ignore that it is also gray!)View attachment 58140
It all depends on how much you fly close to you compared to far away. The closer and higher you are the mounts on the arms tend to be more visible compared to the top mount. The further out you get the top-mount gains the advantage IMHO.

Reactions: Ken K and ff22
RM: I just ordered some Firehouse strobes and I'm wondering what your experience has been with them? Do they affect video in daylight? About how far away can you see them under daylight conditions? I don't plan to fly after dark.

I have not noticed any problems with videos or still photos using the strobes in daylight. BTW...white is the best strobe color for daytime...

The Mavic is a fairly small aircraft, so the high intensity of the strobe significantly increases the VLOS to the bird...don’t recall exactly how far but I seem to remember in excess of 1 mile during daylight conditions...I’d run out and test it today but we have heavy rain and winds right now.

Many thanks for the info. How many do you have on your Mavic and where did you put them? I started out with two white and I’m waiting on some 3M dual lock tape. Also ordered the PGY adapter and a 3-D printed holder for two strobes.

Many thanks for the info. How many do you have on your Mavic and where did you put them? I started out with two white and I’m waiting on some 3M dual lock tape. Also ordered the PGY adapter and a 3-D printed holder for two strobes.

I am thinking of the 4-sided one just for potential flexibility. But I mainly want to know if the drone is facing toward or away from me - which means two colors - one front, a different color back.

But Go4 shows you which way the aircraft is pointed already. Are you talking about an emergency situation without either display?

Edit: I ordered the PGY adapter and the two-sided 3D printed rig from Aerial P. I too second the desire for a dome of some sort. Any decent lens would certainly help, but I'm no LED expert. :)

I just want to be able to see the darn thing, which way it is pointed isn't important as I can see that on the display. I just hope they hold out to a reasonable distance in the Texas summer sunshine.

Last edited:
I am thinking of the 4-sided one just for potential flexibility. But I mainly want to know if the drone is facing toward or away from me - which means two colors - one front, a different color back.
That was the original idea for the 4 sided mount to easily be able to tell orientation at a distance without looking at the screen. Identical to Aircraft and Marine nav lighting Red would be on the left (port side) and green would be on the right (starboard side) and white on the tale and front.
aircraft-position-lights.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt