DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DIY M2 Beacon (v.1)

calmar81

Reactions
Some of you might know from other posts, that I really like design and functionality of the Beacon for the M2E. You have better visibility and LOS to your drone but also others above you will see it better. Apart from that I like that double-flash like on bigger and more professional birds on the sky. :)
I know you can mount on Strobon CREEs to the wings to achieve all what I mention above but I like the top-mounted version much better. Also here you can get a 3D-printed mount for your Strobons / Firehouse Arc etc. from @Aerial-Pixel but I personally don‘t want to afford the high shipping costs for mount and strobes to my country (yet ;-))

So I googled and searched for a cheap, easy but working solution for me that I want to share.

First piece of equipment:
PGYTECH Connector Adapter for DJI MAVIC 2PGYTECH Connector Adapter for DJI MAVIC 2 PRO MAVIC 2 Zoom Drone to Camera&GOPRO 765756426381 | eBay
2019_01_06_17_41_28_166.jpg

Second piece:
NEW Cycling 5 LED USB Rechargeable Bike Bicycle Tail Warning Light Rear Safety – NEW Cycling 5 LED USB Rechargeable Bike Bicycle Tail Warning Light Rear Safety | eBay
2019_01_06_17_41_49_158.jpg

I strapped the white cycling light (around 50 lm - does anyone know the lm from the DJI beacon? found it nowhere, just that it‘s „FAA-approved“) on top of the connector:

2019_01_06_17_48_55_696.jpg

And here is the final result:
2019_01_06_17_45_39_425.jpg
2019_01_06_17_45_25_480.JPG
Video with flashing strobe:

https://youtu.be/snvMVjlp6wE

I‘m pleased with the fit and the stability of the construction itself... and it is also a cheap solution. I don‘t know yet, if it is visible enough on daylight... I doubt it. But during dusk / dawn or night flights, it should be enough for friends above but also for my eyes.

What are your thoughts on this little tinker-project?

I‘m still searching for other possibilities to „highlight“ my drone and ordered a CREE standalone... but I haven‘t found a suitable reflector dome yet. So maybe I will post updates or newer versions of the DIY strobe later on.

PS: Sorry, I messed up the font of my thread and don‘t know how to reset it to normal. Also the pictures are too large... also sorry for that.

I wonder... as I read the book, it looks like that during recording the front LEDs are being turned off. How you strobe solution would interfere with recording?

Reactions: calmar81
I wonder... as I read the book, it looks like that during recording the front LEDs are being turned off. How you strobe solution would interfere with recording?
This and other questions (stability, visibility etc.) are subject to test-flights. Got the parts just today... so maybe the next days.

But I don’t think it will interfere because it is on top and has the nose with the two front sensors between itself and the camera. But it depends on the weather, ambient light and proximity to your motive. Of course in foggy / cloudy environments or upclose to a mirror-like building, trees in a dark forest etc, there will be reflections / refractions or a shimmering light visible.

Like your idea. I fitted one Cree Standalone strobe ,usb rechargeable and when i take my eyes off drone for a second in daylight i struggle to find itImage1.jpg but i see the strobe very very easily.

Reactions: W2EJ and calmar81
calmar81 asked “...does anyone know the lm from the DJI beacon? found it nowhere, just that it‘s „FAA-approved“) on top of the connector...”

According to DJI’s website (and a quick calculation) it’s works out to about 110 lumens...

i use the Firehouse tech.strobe
Yes, I really like that strobe! I also had this in mind but it's a bit expensive to ship to Germany, as far as I read on the dealer's website. Also the Flytron Strobons @mavic 999

@Cpt.Barbossa1072 did you glue the strobe onto your casing? I thought about fixing a Flytron or Firehouse CREE onto the PGYTECH connector because I am very very own, in terms of my technical gimmicks ... because I don't like to attach or glue anything permanently. ...I would like to leave the drone as it is designed.

I thought about having a housing for the CREE strobe 3D-printed. The case would have to have a matching screw hole at the bottom, put the strobe inside and above that you should be able to screw on a flasher cap, like this one, (Flipper Flasherkappe, Flasher Dome, Lampenabdeckung, twist, 7 Farben zur Auswahl | eBay) to increase the visibility and the area of blinking during the day. In addition, the strobe would have more protection against external influences.

Like I said before, it's just work in progress and I want to evolve the design. but to make that happen, i first have to have a standalone cree here (I recently ordered one in china) to be able to estimate the size and design of the case.

@Marcoff and of course I would love to have a remote for the strobe, also... and of course you could plan for space in the housing for a receiver unit... but I don't think this will be easy, because I'm not good at electronics. :rolleyes:

Short update: Did a quick test-flight. A bit windy but had to launch after rain, because I read some 1-star-ratings about the PGYTECH connector earlier today and had to test out myself. They (3 persons on amazon.com) all said, it blocks the GPS antennae in the drone. But I cannot confirm that!

Had a very good satellite coverage, absolutely quiet flight despite of some wind gusts. The drone apparently does not recognize the increase in weight and the load distribution does not seem to change either

I use the Firehouse Arc II Cree strobes on my Mavics and Inspires...if I just want to mount one to the top of a Mavic I use 3M Dual Lock connectors (like Velcro but heavier)...never lost one.

I use 3D-printed holders for red/green strobes on the arms, but mounting a white strobe on the top of the Mavic with Dual Lock I have personally not seen a problem with GPS reception.

... but mounting a white strobe on the top of the Mavic with Dual Lock I have personally not seen a problem with GPS reception.
I think they meant the connector itself what allegedly messed up gps reception. But after my short test that is not the case.

Like I said before, I also want to try out a standalone cree on top with the connector but would like to have a flasher dome over it... i don’t know yet, which one and how to fix it. Besides all: I want to have it look good also ;)

I use the Firehouse Arc II Cree strobes on my Mavics and Inspires...if I just want to mount one to the top of a Mavic I use 3M Dual Lock connectors (like Velcro but heavier)...never lost one.

I use 3D-printed holders for red/green strobes on the arms, but mounting a white strobe on the top of the Mavic with Dual Lock I have personally not seen a problem with GPS reception.

I guess if one did not want to glue a velcro patch on the drone, one could probably just make a full belt to wrap around the drone using a longer length of locking-velcro. It would have to be positioned between the bottom sensors and probably over the battery button???? Then one could attach lights anywhere along the belt.

I use the Firehouse Arc II Cree strobes on my Mavics and Inspires

RM: I just ordered some Firehouse strobes and I'm wondering what your experience has been with them? Do they affect video in daylight? About how far away can you see them under daylight conditions? I don't plan to fly after dark.

Does the connector may/can interfere with GPS antenna?
I have this PGYTECH connector/adapter. It doesn't negatively affect the GPS signal on my Mavic. I've seen some people run into issues when attaching cameras to it.

I have this PGYTECH connector/adapter. It doesn't negatively affect the GPS signal on my Mavic. I've seen some people run into issues when attaching cameras to it.
I have had issues with GPS signal when mounting the OSMO Pocket to it, but not the GoPro Hero 7 Black... Weird huh? I had 14 Satellites with the GoPro attached and only 7 occasionally 8 with the OSMO Pocket.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky