DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI almost sank my Mavic.

February me and my lady friend went down to Cozumel / Tulum area, I rented a boat for us to do a private snorkeling tour, was absolutely perfect. Got my MA2 with me in the bag, I took some amazing photos and videos.. time to land it on the stern... let's just saw wasn't my best moment..

Had to dive down 35 friggin feet to fetch the drone, which took me multiple tries because my ears were killing me that deep. I even had the phantom rain suit on it LOL, obviously won't do anything under water but I was just being really optimistic.

Thank goodness for DJI refresh LOL

Your drone's home point comes from the drone's GPS receiver and is recorded when the drone first gets good GPS data, whether that's on the ground or later in flight if you are impatient.
It never comes from your phone or tablet.
I am aware of how it currently operates, however I like to improve things. The software can easily determine the GPS location of the phone (and already does) and in a situation like this, use that information to improve the ability to safely land the drone.

By using both the location of the drone AND phone (which, yes is used and shows on the map during flight), you could have more options.

I am aware of how it currently operates, however I like to improve things. The software can easily determine the GPS location of the phone (and already does) and in a situation like this, use that information to improve the ability to safely land the drone.

By using both the location of the drone AND phone (which, yes is used and shows on the map during flight), you could have more options.
However, you don't need to have a device with GPS to run the software to fly the drone, so that complicates this argument further.

I don't disagree with you on the "launch without GPS" toggle. Although I haven't been flying long and haven't really given it a lot of thought. Personally, I always wait until I have GPS lock.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrDew