DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly and iOS 15

Gynotai1

Reactions
Does anyone else have this issue? Before I updated my ipad to iOS 15 DJI Fly worked perfect. Now when you try and connect the controller to the iPad VOA the uSB port, nothing happens. Contacted DJI about this, and they admitted there was an issue, but had no answer as to when an update for DJI fly would be available.

Am I the ony person with this issue?
Has a workaround been found?
I’d use my android, but I’m visually impaired, and I need the 12.1 inch screen on my iPad. Thank you.

Does anyone else have this issue? Before I updated my ipad to iOS 15 DJI Fly worked perfect. Now when you try and connect the controller to the iPad VOA the uSB port, nothing happens. Contacted DJI about this, and they admitted there was an issue, but had no answer as to when an update for DJI fly would be available.

Am I the ony person with this issue?
Has a workaround been found?
I’d use my android, but I’m visually impaired, and I need the 12.1 inch screen on my iPad. Thank you.
Have you also updated your Fly app?
DJI is highly unlikely to fix a Fly problem unique to an older iOS version.

Probably too late, but if you backed up your iPad before updating to iOS 15 (part of best practices for any iOS system update, as iOS does not enable system rollbacks)), you can restore from the back up, which then rolls it back to the last iOS 14 version that was working.

Current iOS version is 17.2.1.
Are you unable to update to iOS 16 or 17?
If not, might be time to upgrade your iPad.
Older iOS hardware was not designed to work on newer iOS versions.
Their processors are not fast enough, and it creates incompatibility with apps.

It is also inadvisable to update the Fly app, on an older iOS version.
"If it ain't broke, don't go fixin' it!"

Best practices for DJI is to sandbox a dedicated iPad to each drone, and once working, turn off all automatic updates, and don't update ANYTHING, ever! No drone FW updates, no Fly updates, and no iOS updates.

Repeat as needed, each time you buy a new drone.

Thank you for replying.
I didn’t know there was an update for iOS, so being I didn’t make any backups I updated to 17.2, and as expected it didn’t work. Guess I’ll use my smaller tablet which is android. KInda bummed. My iPAD was has a 12.1 inch screen, and with vision impairment it made flying a lot better. It seems my only option is to wait until DJI updates their fly app but I’m not holding my breath. :)

Thank you again for all your help.

Gynotai1

Thank you for replying.
I didn’t know there was an update for iOS, so being I didn’t make any backups I updated to 17.2, and as expected it didn’t work. Guess I’ll use my smaller tablet which is android. KInda bummed. My iPAD was has a 12.1 inch screen, and with vision impairment it made flying a lot better. It seems my only option is to wait until DJI updates their fly app but I’m not holding my breath. :)

Thank you again for all your help.

Gynotai1
Have you also updated the Fly app on the iPad? DJI Mini 2 is also quite old. You can also pick up a much newer DJI Mini 3 for less than $400, or upgrade to a more expensive Mini 3 Pro or Mini 4 Pro, all under 250g. None of those should have a problem with your 12.1" iPad and DJI Fly.

If it wasn’t for bad luck…

My Ipad isn’t compatible anymore, and my Samsung tablet isn’t either. Buying another drone isn’t the answer. DJI needs to update their app. You shouldn’t have to downgrade your iOS or buy all new hardware to make it work. DJI needs to keep their software current. Just my opinion.
When I talked to support they acted like they were unaware of the problem. but it took me all of a minute to find why it didn’t work doing a web search. I’m not the only one with this issue.

Thanks for listening.

Gynotai1

If it wasn’t for bad luck…

My Ipad isn’t compatible anymore, and my Samsung tablet isn’t either. Buying another drone isn’t the answer. DJI needs to update their app. You shouldn’t have to downgrade your iOS or buy all new hardware to make it work. DJI needs to keep their software current. Just my opinion.
When I talked to support they acted like they were unaware of the problem. but it took me all of a minute to find why it didn’t work doing a web search. I’m not the only one with this issue.

Thanks for listening.

Gynotai1
You still haven't answered my question about whether you have also updated the Fly app to the latest version compatible with iOS 17. Are you suggesting that the latest Fly version is also not compatible with iOS 17 either?

Your Fly app version needs to be compatible with your operating system version.
When you update the iOS version, you break the compatibility, because updating the older iOS version does not automatically update the Fly version to a version compatible with the latest iOS. You have to do that manually yourself. Have you?

DJI has already updated their Fly app to be compatible with the latest iOS version. They won't create another update to also make it backwards compatible with an older iOS version that you updated from. It's usually a one way street. You also can't roll back drone FW either now. However, if everything is up to date, including your Mini 2 Firmware, it should work.

Make sure all 3 are fully updated.
That's always DJI's first recommendation!

1. iOS version (completed),
2. Fly version (?)
3. Mini 2 FW version (?)

Lastly, DJI support rarely knows what they are talking about. Don't put too much credence in what you are told. The reps are usually clueless. The only thing they know how to do is set up a return of the drone for an evaluation, which usually isn't necessary, and usually won't solve the problem!

Last edited:
I’m not much of a technical expert, but aren’t there security reasons for updating iOS? If there’s nothing but drone related non personal information on the device, then I guess it doesn’t matter in any event.

I’m not much of a technical expert, but aren’t there security reasons for updating iOS? If there’s nothing but drone related non personal information on the device, then I guess it doesn’t matter in any event.
For a happy drone experience, never use a device used for any other purpose than flying the drone. Dedicate one to it. Sandbox it, once it is operating to your satisfaction. That is why the RC Pro and RC and RC2 are ideal drone devices.

Reactions: Dbez1
That’s what I do also GadgetGuy. I have my 10.2” iPad that does nothing but fly (plus a very few drone-related apps). It stays on the mounting bracket 24/7. Sorry to the OP, I think we’re getting a little off topic now.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1