DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles Missing Diopter Adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.
As stated earlier, "The googles allow for fitment over glasses". There are several early review videos which show this.

I think DJI have made the focal plane of the goggles too close. It seems about 9 inches.
At least mine are 9 inches (estimate within an inch or 2).

Focusing on something that close for extended periods will not do any ones eyes much good.

Last edited:
I think DJI have made the focal plane of the goggles too close. It is about 15 inches and focusing on something that close for extended periods will not do any ones eyes much good.
No FPV or VR goggle should be worn for any extended periods of time. That's one of the 1st warnings in every owners manual.

Reactions: sacballa
The goggles have require the eyes to focus on an object that's 3 meters away. If you're far sighted and need reading glasses, you won't need them in the goggles. If you're near sighted, 3 meters in real life will be just as out of focus as the viewer in the goggles will be. If you're having trouble seeing the image clearly, then everything in real life must be just as blurry 3 m away. Again, if that is the case, you need new glasses then.

Whilst what you are saying, in theory, is correct, in practise things are a little different here. In real life, at 3 metres, I can see every grain of dust on my tv stand (Which I really should clean) with perfect clarity. I do not wear glasses for everyday use. I do, however, wear reading glasses. I own an Oculus Rift, and use it perfectly without glasses. I can barely make anything out inside the DJI Goggles without reading glasses. And my reading glasses don't agree with the focal length, so it is now just "less blurred". I, too, shall have to experiment with reading glasses of varying focal strengths. A simple focal adjustment, and we could have all been happy.

Whilst what you are saying, in theory, is correct, in practise things are a little different here. In real life, at 3 metres, I can see every grain of dust on my tv stand (Which I really should clean) with perfect clarity. I do not wear glasses for everyday use. I do, however, wear reading glasses. I own an Oculus Rift, and use it perfectly without glasses. I can barely make anything out inside the DJI Goggles without reading glasses. And my reading glasses don't agree with the focal length, so it is now just "less blurred". I, too, shall have to experiment with reading glasses of varying focal strengths. A simple focal adjustment, and we could have all been happy.

In the exact same situation, need to pick up 4 different strength reading specs tomorrow and see!

:D You nearly made me cough my supper up :eek: :oops:
Then I apologise, it was not my intention.

I can focus on something 11" in front of my eye, and I can't focus on the goggles so I estimate 9" (I did it again)
I have not gone beyond the menu so I am assuming it doesn't change when you start flying.
I have not activated them in case it affected my right to return.

It wasn't the nine inches thing, it was the huge disparity between the 2 distances. Just made me laugh :)

Just picked up some 2.5 reading glasses, now I can see the goggle screen clearly, normal 1.5 reading glasses were not good enough. They only cost £6 for 2 pairs. No problem, but even with the cheapo vr box with adjustment I could not focus with1.5 reading glasses. Happy days. Keep the 2.5's with the goggles.

It wasn't the nine inches thing, it was the huge disparity between the 2 distances. Just made me laugh :)

I can not find any statement from DJI where they specify a distance for the focal plane.

If 3m is true then mine must be faulty and I just need to get them repaired because 3m would be fine.

Just picked up some 2.5 reading glasses, now I can see the goggle screen clearly, normal 1.5 reading glasses were not good enough. They only cost £6 for 2 pairs. No problem, but even with the cheapo vr box with adjustment I could not focus with1.5 reading glasses. Happy days. Keep the 2.5's with the goggles.

Sounds good to me I normally only use 1.5's so will try 2.5 and 3 tomorrow :) , a shame though as i use 'nooz' readers that don't have arms and kinda clip to my nose so would have been perfect in the goggles, but they are £12 a pop and come from france!

Reactions: Bunny Too
Sounds good to me I normally only use 1.5's so will try 2.5 and 3 tomorrow :) , a shame though as i use 'nooz' readers that don't have arms and kinda clip to my nose so would have been perfect in the goggles, but they are £12 a pop and come from france!

If you knew EXACTLY which strength would work, then even £12 wouldn't be too bad. A bit of a lottery otherwise. I could do with taking the Goggles into my local shop and testing out a few strengths. Only problem is that I'd feel a complete tw@t!! Guess I'll just buy an assortment, and see how that pans out.

£6 for two pairs at "Every little helps" ;) Chickened out taking the goggles into the store, just held up some small writing at 2" to 3", got home, tried them perfect.

I like your scientific approach ;) I think I shall try and replicate it tomorrow :)

So it sounds like wearing progressives is out of the question ?
I have progressives and a mono set just for reading at arms length for the computer.
Also a drug store pair for +150 to see really small things like soldering or really small print on a black background.
I guess one of these might work huh ?

I have presbyopia, so I wear contacts and use glasses for screen work. They worked fine with the DJI google. I also have HTC Vive which has a "hidden" adjustment for the distance between the screen lenses and your eyes. However, this is not a true diopter adjustment. In fact, although a lot of you are claiming diopter adjustments on cheap headsets, I have found that not to be the case. Those cheap options all have a single strength lens and a means to move it forwards and backwards. This means that if one day you wear your glasses ,on other contact lens with reading glasses, and on yet another you are using contact lenses without reading glasses, you will be constantly adjusting the magnifying lens. The Vive "hides" the distance to ensure you stick to one wear method, DJI have stuck with expecting you to use your glasses if you have presbyopia. If HTC and DJI did not do this, we would see the boards full of "out of focus from one day to another" claims. In other words, HTC and DJI are betting on their customer base having a fairly large number of "technically challenged" persons. ;-)

Reactions: ddimkin
Just popped out to the local pauper shop, where they sell reading glasses for a pound-a-pop. Grabbed a 2.50, 3.00 and a 3.50. Got home and had a quick test. All yield usable results, with the 2.50 ones being marginally sharper. Looks like I'm good to go. The only problem now, is that with with my glasses practically welded to my eyeballs (not much room in there), they are fogging up pretty quick. Solve a problem, and create another. Ho-hum o_O

Reactions: Aeomer
Just popped out to the local pauper shop, where they sell reading glasses for a pound-a-pop. Grabbed a 2.50, 3.00 and a 3.50. Got home and had a quick test. All yield usable results, with the 2.50 ones being marginally sharper. Looks like I'm good to go. The only problem now, is that with with my glasses practically welded to my eyeballs (not much room in there), they are fogging up pretty quick. Solve a problem, and create another. Ho-hum o_O
Yup, VR fog. Better quality reading glasses have anti-fog coatings. I don't know if the DJIG's have it, but wearing the goggles for half and hour with Eyekepper +1.5's for computer use was fine for me. They only have the tortoise-shell one's in +1.5 at the moment. I tried using them without contacts and found I was fine - I only have an astigmatism and presbyopia - at short distances, the astigmatism is not bad enough to be an issue, so just using the reading glasses worked out well.
Eyekepper Computer Readers Square Large Lenses Spring-Hinges Computer Reading Glasses (Black, Yellow Tinted Lenses) +2.25: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

My problem now is FPV/VR sickness. I feel pretty nauseous right now. I'm going to take some travel sickness pills as I do when using VR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peregrine
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sam the Slam