DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji Has seem changing on the 7x tele lens of mavic 3 recently !!

Lets add to the rumour mill 😁

View attachment 145339
Now we are talking, this will be very interesting. Hopefully put this one to bed once and for all! I'm a little suspicious of the 7x images originally posted, they looked almost too good 🤔 Good find SurenLV. Does OsitaLV know about you yet?? 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Suren
Now we are talking, this will be very interesting. Hopefully put this one to bed once and for all! I'm a little suspicious of the 7x images originally posted, they looked almost too good 🤔 Good find SurenLV. Does OsitaLV know about you yet?? 🤣
🤣🤣🤣🤣 Hopefully we can get our hands of one of these to test. I spoke to Richard yesterday asking him to let me know when he gets a package that has the oval lens and a new batch of RC Pro. Maybe I will get a backup M3 just in case.

Reactions: Bussty
Have a look at the press releases from some of the auto, airplane, electronics, or appliance manufacturers and see if you can find any that relate to adding a new supplier for a part or subassembly that might looks slightly different but still meets the advertised specifications.
I understand that others do it, but others doing it does not make it right to not put out some sort note on your website.

I understand that others do it, but others doing it does not make it right to not put out some sort note on your website.

And the press release would say something like, "We're using a second supplier for the camera. The camera meets all advertised specifications."

This is going to be a little controversial and I don't really know and happy to be corrected if anybody has any info to the contrary. But somebody discovered the different Oval and Round lens change and tested it. It showed initially there was a difference (a quite good Youtube on it over different scenarios
) we don't know if the Round lens tested was a particular bad one or if the Oval lens was a particularly good one - you never know. So that test showed the Oval to be sharper, the video isn't awesomely high res but here are some high quality jpegs from the 7x showing the difference. Mavic 3 Zoom Compare - Google Drive

So OsitaLV discovered this and got some friends to test and actually found the round lens to be minutely sharper than the oval.

To me I don't think you can conclude that is a source of truth. I have heard suggestions that OsitaLV is a convenient source of "leaks" intentionally to get the drone community fizzed up about potential future drone releases so IF that were true and I was DJI I would absolutely get OsitaLV to release results of the test showing the two to be virtually identical. Can you imagine the claims from all the Round lens owners if it was infact true that the Oval was sharper?

I think someone on this forum who has access to both types of drone should do their own test and post here. However we are always going to have the issue of "you may just have a good or bad version of that particular lens" and won't really know however more than one test from different users repeating the results would certainly help reduce that doubt.

This wouldn't normally be important but that 7x has been plagued with a lot of criticism around it's final quality to the point that any improvement would be sought after.

Reactions: Suren
Can you imagine the claims from all the Round lens owners if it was infact true that the Oval was sharper?
Claims on what basis? Based on the camera not performing up to specifications? Or just based on someone else buyer A getting a camera that performed slightly better than buyer B's camera, which still met advertised specs. There is no basis for a claim. DJI did nothing sneaky in selecting an alternate camera supplier with a slightly different appearance. There will be no massive recall or warranty replacement program because they're not justified if both camera versions perform as promised.

If DJI improved the Mavic Mini 2 with a larger camera sensor and sold it as the same product name and number, would they be obligated to replace or refund every Mavic Mini2 they'd sold previously? No. If your ice cream cone weighs 6 ounces as advertised and you buddy gets an ice cream cone with 7 ounces, are you owed a refund? No.

And this whole issue assumes that there is a significant difference between the two cameras.

Reactions: PAW
This is going to be a little controversial and I don't really know and happy to be corrected if anybody has any info to the contrary. But somebody discovered the different Oval and Round lens change and tested it. It showed initially there was a difference (a quite good Youtube on it over different scenarios
) we don't know if the Round lens tested was a particular bad one or if the Oval lens was a particularly good one - you never know. So that test showed the Oval to be sharper, the video isn't awesomely high res but here are some high quality jpegs from the 7x showing the difference. Mavic 3 Zoom Compare - Google Drive

So OsitaLV discovered this and got some friends to test and actually found the round lens to be minutely sharper than the oval.

To me I don't think you can conclude that is a source of truth. I have heard suggestions that OsitaLV is a convenient source of "leaks" intentionally to get the drone community fizzed up about potential future drone releases so IF that were true and I was DJI I would absolutely get OsitaLV to release results of the test showing the two to be virtually identical. Can you imagine the claims from all the Round lens owners if it was infact true that the Oval was sharper?

I think someone on this forum who has access to both types of drone should do their own test and post here. However we are always going to have the issue of "you may just have a good or bad version of that particular lens" and won't really know however more than one test from different users repeating the results would certainly help reduce that doubt.

This wouldn't normally be important but that 7x has been plagued with a lot of criticism around it's final quality to the point that any improvement would be sought after.
Actually, OsitaLV says the only discernible difference is a wider FOV on the original Round lens, with the sharpness being so close as to be a toss up!

Claims on what basis? Based on the camera not performing up to specifications? Or just based on someone else buyer A getting a camera that performed slightly better than buyer B's camera, which still met advertised specs. There is no basis for a claim. DJI did nothing sneaky in selecting an alternate camera supplier with a slightly different appearance. There will be no massive recall or warranty replacement program because they're not justified if both camera versions perform as promised.

If DJI improved the Mavic Mini 2 with a larger camera sensor and sold it as the same product name and number, would they be obligated to replace or refund every Mavic Mini2 they'd sold previously? No. If your ice cream cone weighs 6 ounces as advertised and you buddy gets an ice cream cone with 7 ounces, are you owed a refund? No.

And this whole issue assumes that there is a significant difference between the two cameras.
I think you are correct but users would still try and claim.

And the press release would say something like, "We're using a second supplier for the camera. The camera meets all advertised specifications."
Yes. They can go above and beyond and provide specifications as well. Either way, from the company's pov, it is a better outcome than people finding out via forum or via chat with their employees.

@Bussty I'm sure you're not the first to raise an eyebrow at the leakers...

Yes. They can go above and beyond and provide specifications as well. Either way, from the company's pov, it is a better outcome than people finding out via forum or via chat with their employees.

@Bussty I'm sure you're not the first to raise an eyebrow at the leakers...
Oh yes totally agree have to have facts to back up any leaks and many leaks don't come to fruition (Phantom 5 is a great example!) I guess you are right though in this day and age for a company to not be upfront is at it's peril as with youtube, forum and twitter some version of the truth comes out at some stage.

Just to throw some facts into this discussion on the two lens types. Using the "Round" lens this author has confirmed this is a clip using 7x Autofocus and Round lens. I think it's really really good and would be very happy to have that as my M3 but why have we seen so much average footage from the 7x?

How is the round tele vs the oval one after the latest fw updates?
I can get a second hand model with round tele ,but want the best image quality.

Reactions: SFC117
How is the round tele vs the oval one after the latest fw updates?
I can get a second hand model with round tele ,but want the best image quality.
the round is better as it has a wider field of view, but sharpness will vary between them all no mater what shape.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
the round is better as it has a wider field of view, but sharpness will vary between them all no mater what shape.

Is there anything that documents a difference in the field of view between the two camera versions?

I'm halfway remembering a statement from DJI that said the camera specs were identical. Anyone recall for sure?

Is there anything that documents a difference in the field of view between the two camera versions?

I'm halfway remembering a statement from DJI that said the camera specs were identical. Anyone recall for sure?
No DJI documentation. Only a test by Osita among his more technical friends who compared them for him. The conclusion was that the original round lens is marginally better, to an unnoticeable degree, but the FOV is slightly wider than on the elliptical lens. Conclusion: no difference, unless you want the mildly larger FOV.

Reactions: UAVquadman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
do72er