DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji Mavic Pro Carbon Fiber Quick Release Propeller Props

I don't think that it's been established that these carbon fiber propellers are any stiffer or lighter than standard plastic propellers. At the price point of these carbon fiber propellers I doubt that the maker has any sort of complex manufacturing process for utilizing the high tensile strength of carbon fibers to increase the strength-to-weight ratio of the propellers like trying to weave or align the carbon fibers along the directions of greatest stress. More likely that they just mixed in some carbon fibers with plastic, cast the propellers from that mixture, and called it a day. Not an especially effective way to utilize carbon fibers since the fibers are oriented in every which direction and not along the main stress directions, but at least they can truthfully advertise that their propellers are made of a carbon fiber composite. Oh, and that checkered pattern that you see on the surfaces of the propellers which is suggestive of some sort of carbon fiber cross-weaving process in making these propellers? Again, not likely at this price point. More likely it is just a stamped-on pattern from the mold used to make the propellers and was done for marketing purposes, and has nothing to do with the fiber composite material itself.

@mstevns and wombat:

I'll 'float my boat' with your thinking in regard to the 'superiority' of 'carbon fiber' blades.

Example - I believe DJI does have carbon fiber blades for phantoms - but you'll see they are very very expensive as compared to the stock plastic props.

In regard to the Mavic pro - unless there were some definitive 'proof' such as real world graphs/charts, etc that show a tangible benefit to using something other than the stock DJI props (and it's certain there would be a big cost for them if they did) - I am staying and would join in on saying: "stick with the DJI stock propellers"!

I would prefer a prop that breaks in case of a crash. That way im less likely to damage a motor or esc.

Unless you are a hundred feet up or so. I would rather damage a motor and make it down safely then to drop out of the sky.

Reactions: Rbruz
To all:

My last thoughts on props:

Having five different types of drones over the past 6 years - I did see highly tangible benefits to blade balancing the 'fixed' style props. Now - of course the electronics have improved dramatically over these years and in the past - the stability of the aircraft cannot compare to today's drones. This is true for even the cheapest of drones - toy drones to professional drones.

I do wonder though - if the current DJI props are 'precision balanced', or even if it really matters - precision balanced - or not!
At any rate: not having to re-check and re-balance newly purchased replacement blades is no longer 'germaine' with the Mavic style props. I haven't seen or read any discussions on this - but would welcome any thoughts on this........

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
Ive used CF props in past, the drone was quicker in response to inputs and quieter. But HUGE risk was lopping a finger off if hand caught poorly. I like to hand catch if windy or dusty ground. The CF props are like flying knives. Not worth the risk.

So I was working on a little review of these specific carbon props. I was excited to say they were great ups to them. The improvements were there but not by a huge margin. A tiny bit more responsive, a tiny bit more stable, a little less noise. Worked my *** off for weeks doing tests and comparisons when one HUGE problem occurred. Went out trekking today to take footage and it went well. Went hiking back down when a friend said he heard something drop that sounded plastic. Looked down and a prop was laying on the ground. The props had completely loosened during flight and just barely fell off. If this had happened during flight it would have been chaos. Long story short the props perform but are built horribly. They are coming off and never going back on. My final word on theses props: NO.

Attachments

• IMG_0177.JPG
    IMG_0177.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 115
Frankly, I think that the claims for these carbon fiber props lack credibility. First, the claimed advantages of these propellers don't follow a consistent line. Instead, the claims are all over the place. Some people say that they are "quieter" than regular props. Others say that they are "more responsive". Others say that there is "less vibration" with carbon props, but still others caution that there is "more vibration" because they are stiffer. People are seeing in these props what they want to see.

In contrast, the advantages of using carbon fiber structural components in large aircraft are obvious and apparent. Carbon fiber structural components have the advantage that they have a significantly higher strength-to-weight ratio that standard metal alloy structures, and so the payoff to using carbon fiber composites is immediate and obvious. One can expect significantly greater range and fuel savings by using composites.

I don't think that it's been established that these carbon fiber propellers are any stiffer or lighter than standard plastic propellers. At the price point of these carbon fiber propellers I doubt that the maker has any sort of complex manufacturing process for utilizing the high tensile strength of carbon fibers to increase the strength-to-weight ratio of the propellers like trying to weave or align the carbon fibers along the directions of greatest stress. More likely that they just mixed in some carbon fibers with plastic, cast the propellers from that mixture, and called it a day. Not an especially effective way to utilize carbon fibers since the fibers are oriented in every which direction and not along the main stress directions, but at least they can truthfully advertise that their propellers are made of a carbon fiber composite. Oh, and that checkered pattern that you see on the surfaces of the propellers which is suggestive of some sort of carbon fiber cross-weaving process in making these propellers? Again, not likely at this price point. More likely it is just a stamped-on pattern from the mold used to make the propellers and was done for marketing purposes, and has nothing to do with the fiber composite material itself.

Funny guy, all you are doing is assuming, might be better if you bought a pair and cut them in half to get an idea of what might be up. Typical to bash **** you know zero about.

Funny guy, all you are doing is assuming, might be better if you bought a pair and cut them in half to get an idea of what might be up. Typical to bash **** you know zero about.

In the absence of any tech specs put out by the carbon fiber prop makers or by anyone who has used these props, I'm making an educated guess based on my knowledge of materials science and physics as a result of my education (B.A, physics, UC Berkeley; Ph.D, physics, Cornell U.) and over 30 years of experience as a research physicist. If you have any engineering studies on these props that you can provide (either your own or by a manufacturer), then let's hear it.

In the absence of any tech specs put out by the carbon fiber prop makers or by anyone who has used these props, I'm making an educated guess based on my knowledge of materials science and physics as a result of my education (B.A, physics, UC Berkeley; Ph.D, physics, Cornell U.) and over 30 years of experience as a research physicist. If you have any engineering studies on these props that you can provide (either your own or by a manufacturer), then let's hear it.

Again, you are just guessing. Step up buy a pair, then post facts! Spreading false info otherwise.

Again, you are just guessing. Step up buy a pair, then post facts! Spreading false info otherwise.

No, you're entitled to your own 2-bit opinion about these props and I'm entitled to my own 2-bit opinion about these props. The only difference between us is that I know a lot more about materials science and physics than you do.

Didn't think an argument would flame up after my post. What I was HOPING for was to give a solid warning on the build quality of these Maytech props and that they should be avoided. Props that loosen and fall apart at the hinges are very dangerous.

Reactions: cderoche and Rbruz
No, you're entitled to your own 2-bit opinion about these props and I'm entitled to my own 2-bit opinion about these props. The only difference between us is that I know a lot more about materials science and physics than you do.

Again you are guessing, you have zero clue who I am or what I know about anything. What I do know is unless you actually have one of these in hand you have zero facts.

Will say this much, I have made props from various materials over the past 4 yrs amongst other stuff for RC and without actually having a blade in hand would never assume or make a guess as you are, you can claim you are this or that, yet you claim something about these, never actually having them in hand!

I haven't given a cent worth as I know better, you might do the same if indeed you are so smart.

As far as the hinges go, they are injection molded plastic an can fail for many reasons.

As far as the hinges go, they are injection molded plastic an can fail for many reasons.
I really was not clear on what had happened. The metal screws holding the blades together fell out. Not sure if it can be considered normal or not.

Attachments

• IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 82
Are the blades the same shape as the stock, or are they different?
I'd expect a better prop tip would give efficiency / sound benefits, and go a little to offset the losses from the folding hub.

I really was not clear on what had happened. The metal screws holding the blades together fell out. Not sure if it can be considered normal or not.

Yeah that can happen regardless of the blade material, if ya put a drop of oil on the threads they will tighten and not come loose, other option is red or blue loctite.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard