DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI needs to update the Go 4 app to allow the new 2:1 screen ratio phones

kona

Reactions
I have a Samsung Note 8, an awesome phone with 1200 nits maximum brightness that I'd love to use with my Mavic. Unfortunately like many new phones (iPhone X, LG V30, etc) it has a 18:9 screen ratio, longer than the 16:9 (HD) ratio on most phones. Go 4 complains that it doesn't work with the screen resolution and aspect ratio and it really doesn't work well and many buttons aren't accessible.

Does anybody else have this problem? Do you recommend I use Litchi instead?

Yeah, it's really sad. Oddly it worked before they updated the app a few days ago. But there is a fundamental problem in that the screen just has the wrong aspect ratio for HD transmission. So the only way it will work is by either removing part of the transmitted image (which it is sort of doing now) which is suboptimal because you don't see everything the camera sees, or adding black bars on both sides.

I personally don't understand why phone makers are all going for the 2:1 aspect ratio. I think it looks stupid and it feels unnatural in the hand and also doesn't make sense for content, since most of the things I read would benefit from a wider page, not higher, and at least as importantly, input via keyboard is much more accurate with a wider screen. Anyway, loving everything else about this phone but the length I just can't get used to. Oh and stereo speakers I'd really like to have.

In phone: go to settings-display-full screen apps and uncheck DJI Go4. Let me know if it helps

Reactions: Stride8
Thanks. Sadly Settings says DJI Go 4 is not a configurable app for screen ratio changes.

Part of the problem *might* be that the Note 8 has a funny 18.5:9 screen ratio.

I've had all Samsung S phones from the S3 to the S7, but nobody will ever see my $ for something with one of those stupid super tall ratios or edge displays.

But there is a fundamental problem in that the screen just has the wrong aspect ratio for HD transmission. So the only way it will work is by either removing part of the transmitted image (which it is sort of doing now) which is suboptimal because you don't see everything the camera sees, or adding black bars on both sides.
That seems more like an opportunity than a problem. They could configure it such that some of the controls that would otherwise obstruct the camera view are moved to the side, leaving more of the image free from obstructions.

Reactions: kona
I have a Samsung Note 8, an awesome phone with 1200 nits maximum brightness that I'd love to use with my Mavic. Unfortunately like many new phones (iPhone X, LG V30, etc) it has a 18:9 screen ratio, longer than the 16:9 (HD) ratio on most phones. Go 4 complains that it doesn't work with the screen resolution and aspect ratio and it really doesn't work well and many buttons aren't accessible.

Does anybody else have this problem? Do you recommend I use Litchi instead?
Thanks for posting this. I was thinking of trading in my Note 5 for the Note 8, hoping for a brighter screen.
Hope they fix the problem. In the meantime, I will continue to use my nexus 7 with the Mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcremona