DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
Correct - I don't remember where I read that it did. There's an interesting comparison of the readout speeds of the sensors on the M2P and the M3. The faster the readout speed, the smaller the rolling shutter effect and the more accurate the mapping missions.
M2P readout speed is about 51 milliseconds.
M3 readout speed is about 16 milliseconds.
Is it totally impossible to use an M3 for mapping, or does the electronic shutter just limit it and can be used within certain parameters?

Is it totally impossible to use an M3 for mapping, or does the electronic shutter just limit it and can be used within certain parameters?
The shutter is not the problem.
You could manually fly small area mapping jobs with the Mavic 3.
But to properly use a drone for mapping, you need to be able to use proper mapping apps like droneDeploy, which plan the flight on a precise grid, fly the mission and acquire the images with precise, calculated overlaps.
Until DJI release an SDK for the Mavic 3, software developers cannot modify their products to work with the Mavic 3 and its features.

Reactions: TonyPHX
The Mavic 2 pro had no electronic shutter and it was fine for mapping.
The shutter isn't the problem.
So, DJI’s waypoint setup does not or cannot do the precise grid?
Really sucks they won’t do the SDK for M3’s. Major deficiency…

So, DJI’s waypoint setup does not or cannot do the precise grid?
Really sucks they won’t do the SDK for M3’s. Major deficiency…
With a real mapping app, you plot the outline of the site, the height to fly and specify the front and side overlap required and the app sorts everything out for you, including capturing the images on the fly.
It's much more complex than just setting waypoints.
Here's the planning screen for a project that would capture around 380 images in a 21 minute flight.
i-cnGKBK2-L.jpg

Reactions: jephoto
With a real mapping app, you plot the outline of the site, the height to fly and specify the front and side overlap required and the app sorts everything out for you, including capturing the images on the fly.
It's much more complex than just setting waypoints.
Here's the planning screen for a project that would capture around 380 images in a 21 minute flight.
i-cnGKBK2-L.jpg
Thanks.
All JPGs I assume to keep shot interval at 2 sec?

All JPGs I assume to keep shot interval at 2 sec?
Yes, it's all jpg, which is perfectly fine for creating large orthophoto mosaics.
But the images aren't captured at a fixed time interval.
They are shot at whatever time will provide the precise overlap required.

Again, thx. I’d like to find somebody in the Chicago area who is doing this that maybe I could accompany them on a shoot. I’m interested in the process.

Reactions: mobilehomer
That's true ... but all the examples cited in that document relate to anti-competitive actions.
There's nothing remotely like what the poster of #12 (who lives on the other side of the world) imagines is possible.
I hate to break it to you but where I live has nothing to do with this. We get CNN, FOX and have the same internet you have.

I hate to break it to you but where I live has nothing to do with this. We get CNN, FOX and have the same internet you have.
I hate to break it to you, but you're going far beyond legal qualifications and experience.

• Haha
Reactions: TonyPHX
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas