DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI RC Range

bmoore1118

Reactions
I just won a competition at work for an iPad but I already had one so I was able to ask for the RC for my air 2s.

Still shipping to me so haven’t been able to test. But lots of reviewers say the range isn’t as good as the stock controller with a phone attached.

I regularly go to 3-5k feet (1-2k m).

Has anyone tested this? I live by the mountains and open farm fields so usually can go pretty far.

My cousin has one and flew his a2s with rc roughly 4500 feet before the signal started to get weak. Not loss of signal but the signal bars on the screen turned orange and dropped a few bars.

Me with my mavic 3 and rc pro the same route was able to get out 8000 feet before the same signal drop

I might get some or all of this wrong, and am sure someone will correct me.
It seems to me that the DJI RC was released with the Mini 3 Pro, but then made compatible with earlier models, the Air2s being one of them. So we have a few different components that may or may not provide the answer to your question.

The Air2s, like the Mini 2 and the Mini 3 (not pro) has legs that contain antennae. The RCN1, like previous controllers, but unlike the DJI RC has an external antenna. I have found that they signal strength from my Mini 3 to my DJI RC doesn't have the same strength and perceived range than my other drone/controller combinations.

I suspect that based on the configuration of the antennae on the Air2s combined with the DJI RC, it might have better overall range than the DJI RC and the Mini 3 Pro. I have not yet tested the Mini 3 pro and the RCN1, but may do so at some point in the near future. It will be interesting to see how the signal strength and range of the Mini 3 (non pro) stacks up against the Mini 3 pro. My guess is that it will be better. While is seems reasonable for DJI to have amputated the legs on the Mini 3 Pro to lighten the drone to install sensors, but it might be that DJI put the front legs back on the non pro version so that they can put the antennae in them for better communication and signal strenght, which might translate to range. I don't know and am just speculating. I'm sure someone with an Air2s and a DJI RC controller might be able to provide a more concrete answer.

Anecdotes need to be questioned. The range varies tremendously depending on many factors including interference (expect substantially less range in urban areas), positioning of the antenna, terrain & buildings.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CtrlAltDlt