DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji Rc remote

Eagle430

Reactions
I am using an ipad mini 5 for flying my mavic 3, it can handle the dji fly app requirements, my only issue is the not so bright screen and during very hot days the screen getting dimmer.

I am thinking to buy the rc remote (don't have the budget for the rc pro) or the newer ipad mini 6.
The rc remote will be much more convenient ( no cables, no tablet mount and holder, not wanting for the tablet to turn on and sync with the app etc)

On the negative side the rc has a smaller 5.5inch monitor compared to the 8inch of the ipadmini
Also I ve read that the rc has less signal strength compared to the n1 remote ?

Any other issues / cons for the rc remote?
Also any suggestions of what to buy ? The rc remote or the ipad mini 6?

I am using an ipad mini 5 for flying my mavic 3, it can handle the dji fly app requirements, my only issue is the not so bright screen and during very hot days the screen getting dimmer.

I am thinking to buy the rc remote (don't have the budget for the rc pro) or the newer ipad mini 6.
The rc remote will be much more convenient ( no cables, no tablet mount and holder, not wanting for the tablet to turn on and sync with the app etc)

On the negative side the rc has a smaller 5.5inch monitor compared to the 8inch of the ipadmini

There is not such thing as a free lunch unfortunatelly. If you want the brightest screen the RC Pro has it. If you do not want cables RC will do. To me the portability and simplicity is the major draw card. I have RC Pro and do not regret spending on it. It is a great controller. I can see the screen under sun, it has many programable buttons which I find very useful. As an example I use the 5D press for toggling the 3 cameras on my Mavic 3 Pro, righ/left for +/- EV compensation. Many handy options with the RC Pro buttons.

I'm with Filmarik, I love my RC Pro. That being said. I got a DJI RC with my Mavic 3 Pro purchase and have kept it as a backup in case I ever have problems with my RC Pro.

I have tried out the DJI RC with my Mini 3 Pro to see how it compared to my RC Pro and these are some of the things I noted in another thread on the topic:

•It's much lighter. I expected this but didn't expect how nicely it fit with the Mini 3's lightness as a package.
•The gimbal pitching was not as smooth. Didn't expect this. It's much smoother on the RC Pro.
•Not having access to the microSD card on the DJI RC controller. Didn't expect this but was a minor inconvenience.
•Screen brightness in bright sunlight. Wow! Did not expect how bad it was even with one of those plastic flip-up sun hoods that protect the screen and sticks. My RC Pro with NO screen hood in bright sunlight at 1000nits is way brighter and completely useable.
•For some reason image thumbnails aren't being saved in the 'Flight Data Centre' on the DJI RC even though numerous images were taken, whereas on the RC Pro I never have a problem. I'm wondering if this is due to the limited resources (RAM) on the DJI RC because both times this has happened I was screen recording.

Compared to using my iPhone which I used previously, both controllers (RC Pro and DJI RC) are much more convenient and quicker to get up and flying which is important to me as I regularly fly in cold weather. With regard to range, I never had a problem with the DJI RC as I don't fly out of VLOS.

If I didn't have the option of buying the RC Pro, I would definitely buy the DJI RC and live with the downsides. For screen brightness, I believe there is another thread on here about the Hoodman for the newer DJI RC2 which has the same screen brightness, so that may be an option.

There is also a thread on here about a sale on a 1000nit Android tablet that may be an option for you.

Hope this helps.

Chris

I'm with Filmarik, I love my RC Pro. That being said. I got a DJI RC with my Mavic 3 Pro purchase and have kept it as a backup in case I ever have problems with my RC Pro.

I have tried out the DJI RC with my Mini 3 Pro to see how it compared to my RC Pro and these are some of the things I noted in another thread on the topic:

•It's much lighter. I expected this but didn't expect how nicely it fit with the Mini 3's lightness as a package.
•The gimbal pitching was not as smooth. Didn't expect this. It's much smoother on the RC Pro.
•Not having access to the microSD card on the DJI RC controller. Didn't expect this but was a minor inconvenience.
•Screen brightness in bright sunlight. Wow! Did not expect how bad it was even with one of those plastic flip-up sun hoods that protect the screen and sticks. My RC Pro with NO screen hood in bright sunlight at 1000nits is way brighter and completely useable.
•For some reason image thumbnails aren't being saved in the 'Flight Data Centre' on the DJI RC even though numerous images were taken, whereas on the RC Pro I never have a problem. I'm wondering if this is due to the limited resources (RAM) on the DJI RC because both times this has happened I was screen recording.

Compared to using my iPhone which I used previously, both controllers (RC Pro and DJI RC) are much more convenient and quicker to get up and flying which is important to me as I regularly fly in cold weather. With regard to range, I never had a problem with the DJI RC as I don't fly out of VLOS.

If I didn't have the option of buying the RC Pro, I would definitely buy the DJI RC and live with the downsides. For screen brightness, I believe there is another thread on here about the Hoodman for the newer DJI RC2 which has the same screen brightness, so that may be an option.

There is also a thread on here about a sale on a 1000nit Android tablet that may be an option for you.

Hope this helps.

Chris
The one downside to both the RC Pro and DJI RC is the low resolution MapTiler maps DJI uses on their own Android devices vs. the high resolution satellite images from Google Maps on all other Android and iOS devices running the Fly app. For creating Waypoint missions without flying them first, an RC-N1 connected to an iOS or Android device is the better platform.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrislaf

I have the rc with screen remote. It's a great investment. It's NITS are just enough for me to see clearly on sunny days. I used to use the old way of attaching phones or tablets. The NITS/Brightness was not nearly enough. I basically couldn't fly on very sunny days. If i did , i had to find shade.

I have the rc with screen remote. It's a great investment. It's NITS are just enough for me to see clearly on sunny days. I used to use the old way of attaching phones or tablets. The NITS/Brightness was not nearly enough. I basically couldn't fly on very sunny days. If i did , i had to find shade.
post 4 brings up a good point, but the basic map on the rc pro I think is adequate enough to do the job/ ie mapping.

Reactions: Filmarik
post 4 brings up a good point, but the basic map on the rc pro I think is adequate enough to do the job/ ie mapping.
The Standard Map does, indeed, give higher resolution, but it lacks satellite colors that are more useful in many situations, especially around water boundaries and coastal areas.

I don't know whether they changed something in the latest firmware but until now I was able to move files between microSD and the internal storage of the DJI RC.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1